Judging

We attended the Judging School in Auburn. As most of you know a judging team consists of a Team Captain and 4 field judges, an interior judge, an exterior judge, an engine judge and a chassis judge. The only position that requires any physical effort is the chassis judge. He or she has to get down on one or both knees to view the underside of the vehicle.  Last time I judged Hershey I was a Team Captain. Between myself and my 4 field judges there were 5 artificial knees. Still, we had a fellow volunteer to do chassis' so all went well. Now, at the Judging School the statement was made by the VP For Class Judging that every judge had to be physically capable of serving in any position on the team and if an individual was not capable of getting down to judge a chassis he should not be a judge and should find something else to do. Is this now the official policy of AACA? If you have any physical disability that prevents you from serving as a chassis judge you should resign permanently from judging? This point was reiterated several times. We did not hear it incorrectly.

The AACA isn't heartless, and usually they are

trying to find MORE judges, not fewer.  Whoever

made this comment, which seems horribly insensitive,

must not understand the age of many of the members!

Besides, any good organization will try to find a way

for someone with an infirmity or handicap still to

be productive on his job.  (Isn't that federal law?)

I'm sure you'll find lots of support, Restorer, and thanks

for making this known.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Yea, the Honor Society. Receive a credit just for showing up. Good idea I suppose but I prefer to be rewarded for actually doing something other than just showing up. To clarify, his statement was if you aren't physically able to judge in ALL the four categories you should quit judging.

• Like 1

Let me try to clarify what the club's current policy is.  First, Dain meant to say that if some people had physical issues they COULD consider the Honor Society.  However, we will not discharge people from judging if they cannot do chassis judging. Period!!!  We are all terribly sorry for the miscommunication. 

• Like 1

I did not attend the judging school in Auburn since I had already attended multiple judging schools this year. While I hate to prolong this discussion, You have indicated it was the VP of Class Judging. You have also indicated that it was the judging school instructor. Those are two different people. If you are going to request an apology, it would probably be best to make sure who you are quoting since you appear to have blamed two different people with making an inappropriate comment. 

Beyond that, to err is human. Dain typically does a good job and contributes a lot of time as a volunteer judging school instructor for AACA. I think that all of us have been guilty on occasion of saying something wrong. Sometimes the words just don't seem to come out correctly. A bit of understanding and compassion might be in order on all sides of the issue.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Most of the "Car Shows" today seem to be more like used car lots at least locally.

I am assuming in the big leagues that whoever has the most over done car wins.

At Auburn years ago I was stopped in my tracks by a Duesenberg that looked like

it had been porcealenized . Way over top from new.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, Bob Roller said:

Most of the "Car Shows" today seem to be more like used car lots at least locally.

I am assuming in the big leagues that whoever has the most over done car wins.

At Auburn years ago I was stopped in my tracks by a Duesenberg that looked like

it had been porcealenized . Way over top from new.

Bob you should try AACA judging if you can. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If you look over the award winners they aren't over-chromed red monsters. You also can NOT advertise your car for sale on the showfield. It's a relatively dignified event and honors cars and their owners who have preserved or restored to factory fresh. The topic of over restoration comes up and we do not penalize for being over restored so long as it's restored correctly. Meaning black is black, but it's not chrome or full of metal flake (unless done so factory). 

On the OP topic, I do wonder if there is a way to ensure "youthful distribution". I know there aren't enough youthful judges, but from time to time I'm on a team with another young person and it does seem like a waste of good knees. I know we're supposed to shift around what we judge, but I've yet to not volunteer to judge chassis at any meet because I'm 35 and a year or two younger than most everyone else. It's not a complaint. Actually it helps me feel more comfortable in a sorta new world for me. From what I normally can see, I look closer under the car than most of the owners have for quite some time. Maybe we should at least ask if a judge can't do chassis to prevent 5 judges on a team from all having trouble. That really isn't fair to the team, the car, or the owners (especially those who do take great efforts to make the chassis correct). Of course then most judges might check that box... so whats the solution? Allow mirrors for judging?

25 minutes ago, Frantz said:

On the OP topic, I do wonder if there is a way to ensure "youthful distribution". I know there aren't enough youthful judges, but from time to time I'm on a team with another young person and it does seem like a waste of good knees. I know we're supposed to shift around what we judge, but I've yet to not volunteer to judge chassis at any meet because I'm 35 and a year or two younger than most everyone else. It's not a complaint. Actually it helps me feel more comfortable in a sorta new world for me. From what I normally can see, I look closer under the car than most of the owners have for quite some time. Maybe we should at least ask if a judge can't do chassis to prevent 5 judges on a team from all having trouble. That really isn't fair to the team, the car, or the owners (especially those who do take great efforts to make the chassis correct). Of course then most judges might check that box... so whats the solution? Allow mirrors for judging?

Interesting thought Frantz. I like your "youthful distribution" comment. LOL.  Whenever I have judged at an AACA Meet I am usually the youngest of all the members on the Judging team. (FYI, I am 20+ years older than you). I always volunteer to judge Chassis which almost always brings a sigh of relief and a smile to the Team Captain. I consider myself blessed that I can judge Chassis with all it's Ups and Downs (pun intended). I do have to admit that after this year's meet at Gettysburg I was sore for a few days afterward which doesn't normally happen. I suspect it was due to the temperature, humidity, blacktop show field and the number of times I got up & down while judging. BTW Frantz, if you have not already done so go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a pair of knee pads. Years ago a fellow Chassis judge made that suggestion to me and my knees have thanked him ever since. I use my knee pads on all surfaces (even grass, since grass has been known to have stones in it).

Personally, I think the VP of Class Judging should consider an addition to the Judge registration process be it on-line or on paper.

Currently judges are asked for their 1st/2nd/3rd/4th choices of classes to judge as well as other questions. 

Why not ask the question:  Are you able and willing to judge Chassis at this meet? 

That way the Chief Judge at a meet could get a MUCH BETTER idea of how to allocate these people to the judging teams.

Charlie

• Like 1