Thanks to Kiser31 it looks to be a Red Bug does anyone have info on them like parts availability.  I have never seen one up here so this is new to me. I have seen restored ones advertised  with prices all over the map but no parts. Might be a good project for the grandkids 11 & 12 even though it is not a super car like they talk about.

Thanks in advance Joe

IMG_3109j.jpg

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Looks to be. Here is a 1914....George Albright on this forum may want to talk to you about those parts.

1914 ARB.jpg

• Like 2

Try Jed Rapaport. The carmaven he has numerous Red Bugs and Parts, he also has a few Briggs & Stratton.

Fred D

Joe in Canada and George, It appears you have a Briggs & Stratton motor wheel and the front axle from  possibly a Red Bug. As mentioned this concept started in '14 with A.O. Smith. Later in '17 Briggs bought in and later Automotive Standards and Automotive Specialties. Here is a pic of my '27 Auto Red Bug.

These used a North East motor like Dodge Brothers but modified by removing the shunt field, third brush and fuse used as a 12V D.C. Motor. For further info regarding parts and progressive sequence of these companies I would suggest getting in contact with Jed Rappaport carmaven@gmail.com     Good Luck Rodger "Dodger"

'27Auto Red Bug '13 GPNW Micro meet.jpg

16 hours ago, George Albright said:

Yes. A O smith started making Car frames for Car builders around 1904 as I remember. George 

Right you are!

Joe

Your motor is a 1914 or 1915 Smith Motor Wheel model A.  They made 5,000 +/- of these motors. 

The serial number of your motor is stamped on the block just above the flywheel to the left of the cylinder head. It will be a 4 digit number. 

You are missing the magneto but otherwise it looks to be reasonably complete. Magnetos are super hard to get but they do turn-up on rare occasion but expect to pay a lot of money. 

The cylinder head appears to have some broken cooling fins, not a problem if you want to get it running but would require a replacement cylinder head if you want to restore it. 

The front axle is from a Flyer. Probably from a Smith Flyer but I would need to see the wheels up close to begin to make that determination. In all likelihood, the motor was mounted on this Flyer at one time. Technically a Model A motor does not belong on a Flyer because the Flyer didn't become available until 1917 and was coupled to the then current Model BA motor. But people bought them sans engine and installed the motors they already owned.

For some reason, front axles are about the easiest part to find, I think I have a couple in my stockpile. The more interesting parts are the wheels and fenders. Original wheels don't exist because you haven't been able to get tires consistently since before World War II. Coker is supposed to be making a tire that will fit the Flyer and motor wheel  and should be available this summer.  The front fenders look to be in good condition and they are often sought after parts although I'm working on reproducing them. 

Ignore the plans for the Flyer on the Internet. Those plans have no measurements and are pretty useless. It is possible to make a Flyer from scratch but it is more complex and costly than you realize. Some parts such as the seats and steering wheel require having access to original parts to duplicate accurately. A fair number of the parts are cast and that requires having originals to work from or a digital file to print them from. I predict in the future, the digital printing files will be on the Internet and everyone can make a Flyer at home. 

You will never find another two matching wheels so that requires changing over to modern bike rims all the way around. A common modification. 

By the way, this is in no way called a Red Bug. The Red Bug name was not used officially until around 1924 or 1925. 

Any questions, just ask or email me directly.  I have been collecting these for 40 years since I was 11 years old and have a lot of information.  I prefer info@auto-motives.com but the other email is posted above. 

Edited by carmaven (see edit history)

On 5/10/2018 at 7:37 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Thanks to Kiser31 it looks to be a Red Bug does anyone have info on them like parts availability.  I have never seen one up here so this is new to me. I have seen restored ones advertised  with prices all over the map but no parts. Might be a good project for the grandkids 11 & 12 even though it is not a super car like they talk about.

Thanks in advance Joe

IMG_3109j.jpg

Joe,

I have transported (3) Red Bugs.

Here is the first one that I actually 

used my own money to purchase for someone I didn’t know who had bought it off of Craigslist.

At Pick Up:

A00E67C1-70CC-46D1-AB23-AC9796A3D19A.jpeg.2dd1122b13ab9a58566e9640de724767.jpeg

At Drop Off:

B08A2C7F-B66A-40E2-A970-043B6F5AF37A.jpeg.3c96f4dcc8b79df4c76c0c9d3847be7e.jpeg

Your engine is actually quite valuable - if you want contact information about fair market appraisal - send me a PM.

I do not buy or sell - I educate myself on vehicles I transport.

4C31D426-75BD-44E7-8C4F-419A34C9BEC8.jpeg.37f1f64eec261b164905f58324ce1059.jpeg

Jim

• Like 1

agreed- these are starting to get very pricey.......................

You could sell the axle and wheels and buy a period correct bicycle and be on the road quicker. Bob 

13cf26ca9971f7fa8815c930092b1700.jpg

Hello Guys, Im making a recreation of a Auto Red Bug with a 20s dodge starter. I need same help with the electric system, I dont have the electric system and Iam no sure how it works. Could someone help me?

I add some photos of my proyect

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-20 at 12.25.40(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-20 at 12.25.40.jpeg