Radiator Dog Bones

carmover

Ron, 

Be careful of the guy on ebay selling new dogbones and motometers together.  He is putting Buick motometers on a 2" Tiawan dogbone that will not fit any Buick.  You have to look for the old ones and use as is or have replated.  Buick motometers are 16 TPI.  His are 18 TPI.    His are also 2", and Buick made 2 sizes of threads - just over 2" or 2 3/8"  Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Would this be more like what you are looking for?  I have had this cap for years.  Don't remember where I got it from, but I do remember having it replated.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

1920 Model K-46 018.jpg

Terry that is what I am looking for.That looks real nice on there.

23 hours ago, PFindlay said:

I have one that may be what you're after.  It measures about 2.150 inside the threads and is 16 tpi.    see pictures.

Peter

IMG_1894a.jpg

IMG_1893a.jpg

Peter, It might work,I am not totally sure maybe someone will help me confirm it.I know it has to be bigger than 2".     Ronnie

I like the beveled glass I have found a few in various shape now that I have been looking  But since I plan on driving it so much I bought a new gauge to put in it .To show temp as good as it can .If you end up with a to big of one we could make a adapter that would make it fit . -kyle

On 5/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, carmover said:

Who has radiator cap dog bones for these 20's Buicks? The ones Restoration supply sells are too small at 2" to fit my 23 Buick.

Thread and ID is obviously critical. 

On ebay I was lucky to find this pot metal survivor, and it survived the replating process too. 

1753314292_1925salesmanualspecialcap.jpg.153f37895b1e35b44b009f160f46bf7e.jpg

Installed on my 27-25 and even though it's for 1925, I think it still looks appropriate. 

1795282418_122307buickstandardcap(2).jpg.590fbb9a3fde6550206c454d43249a2e.jpg

The dogbone for my 27-54CC looks like Terry's, but it had a smaller thread.  Back in high school metal shop, I machined off the threads, machined a new collar  from bronze with the thread that would fit the Buick, and silver soldered it on.  Chrome, and install. 

726282531_093006CernakBuickshow(360).jpg.81aed4417597080f975b1667f5693627.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ron, 

There are only 2 sizes of radiator caps and fill nozzles.   If your car is a 1923, it would be the smaller cap.  Filler OD 2.075

Have the person with the cap that you want measure around outside of the threaded area and then use this chart.

Hugh

1881598553_Capdimensions.JPG.ff5c6d175f9c4f23a94248e3163dbfdb.JPG

1869147239_motometercapmeasuring-kb.jpg.cb113974058232140675d22fdb774e88.jpg

radiator fill dimensions.JPG

• Like 2

Hugh,

I can honestly say that I have never heard of measuring the outside of something to determine the thread size.  One measures the outside diameter of male threads and the inside diameter of female threads to determine the correct thread size.  One should also have a thread pitch gauge to determine that aspect of the threads.  I am not saying that you are wrong or that it will not work. It's just that this a very unorthodox way of getting to where you want to be.  Just my humble opinion here.

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

• Like 2

Terry, 

You are absolutely correct.  The reason for this odd way of measuring is that the brass temperature pick up extends past the threaded area in the radiator cap.  People with the radiator caps (usually on Ebay or Craigslist) do not have access to a set of calipers to get around this post.  A ruler across the cap ID even without the bulb doesn't always cut it either.   Case in point is the photo from Peter and the measurement across is 2.15 which is right in the middle of the 2 sizes.  A lot of people don't know that the diameter is at exactly the widest point, they just know that it is in that area.   I could never find anyone to give me a good size measurement.  By measuring around the outer circumference, there is a difference of about 1 inch in length between the 2 sizes.  I had to get an easy measurement that people with no tools could provide.   

Another reason is that some of these are now already mounted to a piece of wood to make a "Buick" display piece, and people did not want to separate the wood from the dogbone, but they would sell me the whole thing.  It was all I had to go by to get the correct size without access to the threads.  

It took me a while to figure this out, as more of these are selling as display pieces than used on a car.

Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Do not know if I can add to the conversation concerning measuring, here is a collection of caps which I have acquired and fit my '13 and '15, the same size and thread for all.  The black cap is closest to original equipment and I use it the most often, especially if I am away from the car visiting museum for instance.  The large Buick Motometer on the wings has an insert to correct the size, same for the Moore Semaphor on the lock-a-meter, which has been re nickeled.  The dog bone has a 1915 Boyce meter made in Hamilton On. has a McLaughlin logo.  Finally the flip top is the fanciest, original, lovely, finish.  It had exterior threads which I cut off and internally turned to my size and 16 TPI.  Hope this helps you see some of all the choices available Ronnie.  Regards, Gary

DSC_4421.JPG

• Like 5

Finn says Hi! Terry. 

Raw day here 18 miles south of Flint. 38F and steady rain. 

Buick has yet to be out. Dusty. Gilmore Museum gathering in Kalamazoo is a week away. I better get on the stick. 

Here is my cap. Never seen one exactly like it.  The fill cap is now aluminum. Someone must have lost the original along the way. 

A pic of my Terry W. Centennial signs that grace my garage also. 

8ACF69D2-9405-420A-B9FD-C510FCAD65EF.jpeg

1E3F4A32-3B99-43E1-B5BE-40AA36D41A56.jpeg

87F0C196-40F5-44FD-A144-E71DEF1F664F.jpeg

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 6

On 5/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, carmover said:

Who has radiator cap dog bones for these 20's Buicks? The ones Restoration supply sells are too small at 2" to fit my 23 Buick.

15 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Have the person with the cap that you want measure around outside of the threaded area and then use this chart.

USE A PIE TAPE good thinking --Hugh. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, cxgvd said:

Do not know if I can add to the conversation concerning measuring, here is a collection of caps which I have acquired and fit my '13 and '15, the same size and thread for all.  The black cap is closest to original equipment and I use it the most often, especially if I am away from the car visiting museum for instance.  The large Buick Motometer on the wings has an insert to correct the size, same for the Moore Semaphor on the lock-a-meter, which has been re nickeled.  The dog bone has a 1915 Boyce meter made in Hamilton On. has a McLaughlin logo.  Finally the flip top is the fanciest, original, lovely, finish.  It had exterior threads which I cut off and internally turned to my size and 16 TPI.  Hope this helps you see some of all the choices available Ronnie.  Regards, Gary

Gary,

Nice collection!  My only suggestion is that they would look so much better mounted on some Buicks.

Moore Semaphore Temp Gauge.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

•  
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, carmover said:

Thread and ID is obviously critical. 

On ebay I was lucky to find this pot metal survivor, and it survived the replating process too. 

1753314292_1925salesmanualspecialcap.jpg.153f37895b1e35b44b009f160f46bf7e.jpg

Installed on my 27-25 and even though it's for 1925, I think it still looks appropriate. 

1795282418_122307buickstandardcap(2).jpg.590fbb9a3fde6550206c454d43249a2e.jpg

hi all i like this and its for my year( hugh you should cast some id buy a few of them)

• Like 2

hi the scoll ends look smart i dont mind copies on these sort of items as it will be stronger and wont break the hard part would be finding a good patteren its got scrolls on the round cap as well

i had all my door handles re cast dont have to worry about them breaking

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:15 AM, sligermachine said:

well spent a hr trying to put pic.up maybe next week I try again all file size to big tryed all kinds of stuff --kyle

I see over in the General Buick Section that the AACA site has recently reduced the size of the pictures we can now post to save data space.  A slight change but to a lower number/size.

Sliger, I 'm no expert but my guess is you are taking pics with a good camera and your pixel count is way high.  You can typically adjust this down on the camera.  You can also re-save a picture at a lower count if you have a good one you can't take again at the lower resolution.

Tech-ee Camera guys keep me honest here.

• Like 2

Kyle

I would love to have the accessory scroll end cap for my 1925 Master. I have a regular Dumbbell style on my 1925  Standard.(dumbbell was the term at the time). I still need to get it re plated.

94650609_1925BUICKMOTORMETER.jpg.c353c09cd87e0eaad1728d9a3c418c5a.jpg

I found one for sale at Hershey along with some others that were displayed in a fitted foam case. No price .... so no need asking since you can not afford it. That scroll cap still was not in the best of shape and would have needed repair before re plating.

2139857884_1925-55Front-Copy.jpg.5de7ba3baa7b3fb6ea51a51c41f73c2f.jpg

10 hours ago, sligermachine said:

But would rather reproduce the one withe the scroll ends  .the only draw back is it would be a repop. --kyle

The scroll cap, and many others like the Goddess caps of 1927 and 1928, are commonly pot metal and it's hard to find survivors.  I got very lucky.  Some places can repair or restore pot metal. 

Personally I have no issue with reproducing anything that was originally pot metal.  I don't consider it a draw back, I consider it a necessity. 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2018 at 1:40 AM, tonybuick said:

hard part would be finding a good patteren its got scrolls on the round cap as well

Well it would take a couple of hr. to make from scratch but it would be worth it . make one of aluminum and use it as a pattern  10 % bigger  would some one that has one  trace it to give it a size and post it like this  and draw a 1''x1" square next to it so it can be scaled from pic. ?? -kyle

• Like 2