motoringicons

SOLD: 1930 Cadillac V-16 Roadster, one of the finest examples in existence.

1932 or 1933? What body style?

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

In 1942, my great uncle picked up a complete 30 V16 roadster in running condition which was about to be scrapped for the War effort, for $150. The scrap yard offered the man $50, however, my uncle was right there, talk about being at the right place at the right time and offered the man $150. An extra $100 dollars was alot of money in 1942 so the man was thrilled. It was towed home and put away in 1942 where it still sits today. We acquired many of our cars this way, saving them from the scrap drives of World War 2. Unwanted junk at the time. The last guy I let in to see the car made a pitiful offer to do me a favor and "Take the old thing out of my way". What a rude dope he was. I told him, it has not been in our way for 70+ years and it would take another 70 years just to get it out. He still calls me twice a year asking if I'm ready to unload the car and that the Classic Era cars are going down in value. Again, what a dope. With that said, I hope you get every penny of your $1,450,000 asking price.

I also would love to see a picture of an example of what was considered scrap back then of a car like this. Great story sounds like another Barney Pollard.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:48 AM, Joe in Canada said:

I also would love to see a picture of an example of what was considered scrap back then of a car like this. Great story sounds like another Barney Pollard.

Way back in the early days of car collecting, we are talking 1940s, my uncle did some old fashioned horse trading with Mr Pollard, Alex Miller and Bill Harrah among some of the other known early collectors. He made some dealings with Tom Barrett and Owen Owens as well. The same year (1942) that the 30 V16 came in, a first year 27 LaSalle roadster followed him home several months later, also saved from the scrap yard. It's still here too. Neither car will be sold. I'm saving them for my boys. Great true story about Mr Miller I will share. Although he was known to stretch a dollar as far as possible, he was an outstanding wheeler dealer and had a kind soul. It was rare for the Millers to have dinner guests, however, my uncle was there for parts and stayed for dinner. The only light in the kitchen was a dim 25 watt bulb right over the dinner table and the fire from a pot stove. After dinner, Mrs Miller unscrewed that little 25 watt bulb to save energy.   

The year of the V-16 worked on is most likely '34 or perhaps '35  hood has  no doors,   horns and regulator under the hood on the fire wall..  Certainly not '32  or '33  Johan