Finding a car transporter company to ship a car

Johnny Buick

Hello Everyone

Greetings from Sioux Falls South Dakota. I would like to ask if anyone could recommend a reliable car transport company. I have just brought a car from the East Coast and would like to have it transported back to South Dakota. It does not have to be an enclosed transporter? Your advice and opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you

John

BCA #46404

ROA #14353

I have used http://getitdonetransportation.net/   twice. Once from Racine, Wi. and once from Federal Way, Wa. Both times to western New York, $650 and $1600 respectively. Fast and courteous.

I have found Russian drivers best at following instructions and letting you know when they are near. I request them. After shipping something around 30 cars I got tired of the lost drivers, hydraulic oil spills, and ones who would take the car home for the weekend while they "worked on their truck". I have some stories, but picking up the phone and telling a dispatcher never send that idiot on a job for me is not what I want to do. Ask for a Russian driver.

Bernie

First, I would highly recommend an enclosed trailer, regardless of who you use for transport. Especially if the car is in excellent condition.

Second, while there are many "good" providers out there, I would advise against using a broker or a discount hauler. I have learned from experience, you get what you pay for. It's also not worth the anxiety you'll face!

I now exclusively use Reliable Carriers (https://reliable-carriers.com) I've used them for years to get my car to and from the Great Race. Passport Transport (https://www.passporttransport.com) and Intercity Lines (http://www.intercitylines.com) are also great. None of them are cheap! But it's worth the assurance and security. And if you need to be sure your car is there at the right time for an event, these guys are your best bet.

A short story: I was going to trailer a 1967 Ford Ranchero from New Mexico to New York using my Tahoe, using a rented trailer. (The Ranchero was not running, had no brakes, etc.) Upon arriving at the seller's location, I discovered the guy had enough parts to make a second car! No way could I haul all that. I went to U-Haul and traded the car carrier for a trailer to haul the parts and called Reliable. They were able to schedule a truck to a remote part of New Mexico and pick up the non-running Ranchero in 2 days. It was delivered a few days later (and the driver helped me get it into my driveway!)

I have always had a great experience with Reliable and now have a great working relationship. I'm sure you'll find instances with any company where a customer is disappointed, but I strongly recommend you go with one of the premiere carriers.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone

Thank you for the comments and for taking the time to reply to me. I contacted Bill Squires and he seems a very pleasant person and he gave me a price and date when he could do it and as it turned out Bill was one of the most competitive quotes. I then contacted the other companies who were recommended by the members who got back to me. Their prices varied from between $1800 and $2300 for the 1400 mile trip. A colleague at the school where I teach suggested that I start an auction on "USHIP" and see what others have to say. This I did and the auction produced 10 replies, (bids). They all started around $1850 and after two days they all lowered their prices to $1650. It is almost as there was someone coordinating them. I did my own homework and worked it out that I could haul it back myself, (I have an older pick up truck and trailer), for around $1200 and this is probably what I will do, as there is a problem with the Riviera in that it does not start and run and is stuck in park. It appears that the car hauling companies did not want to deal with these sort of problems. However thank you once again and for the next few weeks it is back to work on my '68 Wildcat, as I get it ready for Denver and after that Cedar Rapids.

I hope to see all of you at either of these meetings.

Take care

John

BCA # 46404

ROA # 14353

• Like 2