Sign in to follow this  
nsrick

a c charging 1990 reatta

where is the low side charging port   I see one near front of motor and one under the cowl shield  not sure which is the one to add Freon 

The low side is port is on the side of the accumulator........which is located on the drivers side behind the radiator.

that's what I thought.  It is not taking a charge. compressor clutch not engaging  Any ideas what to check

If it's like my 1991 Eldorado the computer knows it is out of freon and turns off the compressor. You have to trick it by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting the cable. Have the AC on the highest (cooldest) setting and quickly recharge before the computer sends the freon warning again. I hope that helps.

resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery did work to allow it to take a charge but then the clutch started smoking  so I guess I will be replacing it    

Make sure the compressor will still turn freely before replacing the clutch....

If you added the Freon too fast, you may have hydro-locked the compressor. When the liquid Freon turns into a gas, all will be well...hopefully.

If I want the freon to go in faster I put the can in a pan of hot water but I never turn the can upside down..