Gettysburg CCCA Marmon/Stutz meet today

trimacar

At the CCCA Gettysburg Grand Classic today with the Pierce.  About 30 Full Classics in the main area, then the real attraction Stutz and Marmon, about a dozen of each next to the Full Classic area.  Some really great cars at the show, including a Waterhouse body Chrysler that was stunning. 

Turnout was influenced by pending bad weather, I think, but so glad I went ..... saw some people who I knew, and more interesting, people who knew me....one fellow came up to me and said "David Coco, you sold me a 443 Packard coupe"...and I said yeah, over 30 years ago, but now I know the history of the coupe and, more importantly, reconnected with a new old friend...

It's really about the people, people....

image1 (2).jpeg

• Like 3

Heard from a friend that attended and said it there were some great cars there.  I think the trend of combined meets will pickup steam as consolidation is necessary, especially for the smaller and more specialized clubs.  I'm a Stutz club member and they regularly combine meets with other clubs or concours events.

The CCCA part of the show was about 30 cars, and yes, there were some great ones there.  There were around a dozen Stutz and a dozen Marmon, give or take, in a separate area, and that alone was great.

Interesting to me to see the different philosophy behind the two marques, when viewed side to side. The Marmon was a solid, well built, handsome car, not real flashy (although the V-16 that was there was beautiful).  The Stutz was a showy car, dressed up engines and unusual body styles, such as the early 30's Bearcat.

All in all, a day well spent.....

• Like 1

Your car looks fine!

Recalling the provenance from Austie to Drew to you, and a chilly Mardi Gras evening, still put a smile on my face.

Marty, I explained the history of the car to a few people, that Drew drove it to New Orleans after buying it in 1959, me meeting Drew and the Pierce in 1966, and him wanting me to have the car and selling it to me in 1984.

All that, but can't put into words the memories I have with this car, after having first met it over 50 years ago....and I'm glad some of those are our shared memories....

• Like 1

Stutz was  always race oriented and won the stock car championship in both 28 and 29 (I think?).   Those DV32 Bearcats and Super Bearcats bring over 7 figures now.   The overhead cam and double overhead cam were very unique in an American car.

The Marmon 16 is insane,  but rather reserved in comparison.

image.png

• Like 1

The only thing wrong with a Stutz DV is their price. I clearly remember twenty years ago speaking to a well known collector, I would buy the DV he just paid 250k for at thirty cents on the dollar when I was closer to retirement age. I was wrong, that car would run me 1.4 now........so much for being certain no one would want a Stutz in the year 2020. True Story............

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1