Saw this very nice 1969 Lincoln Mark III today....

keiser31

26 minutes ago, Bleach said:

I really like the color combination. What's the asking price?

I just noticed the lettering is missing from the trunk. I wonder if it's a Faux III. ?

Didn't want this to seem like a "For Sale" ad, but since you asked....

Picture 9735.jpg

Keiser, the area code on the for sale sign is 760 (southern California).  Where did you see it?  Looks like an interesting cruiser.

With all the photos of details you take sometimes actually inside a workshop, interiors, up close items, etc., I would think sometimes the owner would offer some info.  Certainly would add to your photos.

Regards,

Peter.

5 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Keiser, the area code on the for sale sign is 760 (southern California).  Where did you see it?  Looks like an interesting cruiser.

With all the photos of details you take sometimes actually inside a workshop, interiors, up close items, etc., I would think sometimes the owner would offer some info.  Certainly would add to your photos.

Regards,

Peter.

The car is in southern Oregon near my place. The guy may have a southern California cell phone number. My daughter lives in Arkansas and has a southern California number.

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Probably dozens of Mark III's are available

at any single time.  There are nicer ones

available for less.

Interestingly, the regular 1969 Lincoln sedans--

good-looking cars in their own right--

are available FAR less often.

That is why is says, "or best offer".

Looks like it has been repainted, or at least parts of it have.  Look at the picture of the passenger side door handle, I see masking lines, and the trunk lid is missing the letters as others have said...

50 minutes ago, dalef62 said:

Looks like it has been repainted, or at least parts of it have.  Look at the picture of the passenger side door handle, I see masking lines, and the trunk lid is missing the letters as others have said...

I see all original paint. I see a little rust just under that door handle edge. I looked pretty close and saw no masking marks anywhere. I did not ask about the missing trunk letters, but there is a number to call/text in case anyone has doubts or questions. Not mine, so no dog in the fight.

I had one for awhile, more then thirty years ago. I always loved the look, as I do all of the Mark series. Driving was a different experience, kind of akin to sleeping on a waterbed. Somewhat like wallowing, but without the sound of the water sloshing around. Smooth and powerful, but without any of the road feel that I was used to. I still love the look, but I'll let someone else do the driving. But then I don't sleep on a waterbed either.

I think the '72 Mark IV was the absolute pinnacle of the Mark series.

I remember my uncle bought one new in Seattle when I was a kid. Triple white, Wow! That car was like a Rolls Royce coming down your street. All the neighbors came over to look at it it. Quite an impressive car in it's day. And that was the only year built as the designers intended so it's a stand alone model. '73 brought the HUGE government mandated safety front bumper (the front porch) absolutely ruining the looks of this fine car. '74 brought the same treatment to the rear (back porch). These changes just made the cars look heavy and bulky instead of sleek like the '72.

I think one of the reasons these cars aren't stronger in the market is that Ford simply ran this body style for way too long.  8 full years is too long. So there are millions of them out there in various conditions. I think they are still a fine looking/driving car. I'd pick up a '68-'72 Mark series in a heartbeat if the condition and price were right. For that matter, I'd also take a full size Continental of the same years. Beautiful full sized American luxury.

mark4.jpg

I agree 1972 is the best looking of the Mark IV series for those reasons stated above, though I would actually opt for a Mark III over a '72 Mark IV. 

The major reason I don't like the Mark IV is the one feature that started a 70's fad to the point it became tacky and worthless; the Opera window.  (Though, if I remember right, one could actually have ordered a Mark IV 'Opera window delete', but even then, the opening rear windows still only retracted about an inch or two.)

Craig

Exner Jr. was working for Ford at the time those cars were designed and there is a lot of the flavor of the Revival cars he and his Dad did together. The whole Ford/Lincoln/Mercury line had some really good looking cars from that era.

I had a '71 Ford LTD convertible that carried the short deck, long nose style. I drove it summers for quite a few years. It was the first car to drove over 150,000.

Here is a picture of it sitting on the S-curves at the Watkins Glen track, back in the days when you could drive around the gate at the public road that crossed. Just before the S's there was the northeast 90 degree turn. You ought to try taking that with a stock '57 Chevy at 40 MPH.

001.jpg.7954968636edb112c27af35733c19a54.jpg

Those are a nice era of Lincolns, need a bigger garage.

Bernie