Brand new A6 A/C compressors

Seafoam65

I thought I would give everyone a heads up regarding the purchase of an A6 compressor for

your early Rivieras. Although most people are not aware, you can still buy brand new ones........you don't

have to settle for an oil slinging noisy remanufactured unit. If you look online you probably won't find any for

sale, but they are still being manufactured by Alma Products. You can't buy them directly from Alma, but if you

contact them they can get you in touch with a dealer who will sell you one. You can even buy one with the double

pulley clutch hub that was used on the early Rivieras. I have these new compressors on my 65 Riviera and my 1970

Chevelle SS and they are fantastic.....quiet as a mouse and they don't sling oil out the front seal. They have updated

internals that make them better than when GM's Harrison division was making them, but they still look the same on the outside. Until about

7 years ago, GM was selling new Alma A6 compressors, then they dropped them as obsolete. I found out I could still buy

one when I called Alma Products on the phone to see if they could make me a new one. They informed me that they had never 

stopped making them,  GM just stopped selling them. And people wonder why GM went bankrupt! GM was making about 300.00 off each

one of these they sold but the bean counters decided it was too big a bother to  sell them anymore!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I'm sorry, I have forgotten both of those tidbits of info as it has been a couple of years since I bought one for the Riviera.

According to their website their phone number is 989-463-1151. Alma Products is located in Alma,Michigan. One of my customers

bought a new compressor last September for his 74 Trans Am Super Duty by calling them after I gave him the number. They hooked

him up with a dealer who had the compressor on his shelf. For some reason, none of their dealers advertise these compressors for sale online, which is why nobody knows they are available.

• Like 1

The companies have way too many MBA's sitting around working on ideas to make more money.

Some of the changes......get rid of parts that don't meet a certain sales goal each year.   Getting rid of a part may actually make them $$,  No warehouse space for the part...

that space can now be used for a part that makes more $$ than the old part.

also remember each year GM, Ford, etc release new model cars with new part numbers.   If they are selling 500K of a new model, they need warehouse space for those new parts, that make them more money.

The good news,  some of these old parts are being reproduced by small shops with less overhead and a lower selling price, and in this case it appears some updated engineering to make the part better.

I am a very small example.......I make a replacement part for the Reatta headlights.  The original part that failed was sell for $180 when GM dropped the part number.   I found a Pontiac part that I could modify

and replace the original.   I also found GM supplier for the Pontiac part and got them to run a batch of new parts (GM had not purchased any in 10 years, so they were happy)   I sell the replacement part for $45

Also some of you may have sent me power antenna for repair.    GM sells some replacement power antenna but they are not Delco....but made to Delco specs in China so they are plug and play, but not the original

quality.   I don't have any new spare power antenna parts but have switched from the plastic cord that breaks to a steel cable.   Now once fixed, your original Delco antenna will last a long time

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2018 at 1:47 PM, Seafoam65 said:

I thought I would give everyone a heads up regarding the purchase of an A6 compressor for

your early Rivieras. Although most people are not aware, you can still buy brand new ones........you don't

have to settle for an oil slinging noisy remanufactured unit. If you look online you probably won't find any for

sale, but they are still being manufactured by Alma Products. You can't buy them directly from Alma, but if you

contact them they can get you in touch with a dealer who will sell you one. You can even buy one with the double

pulley clutch hub that was used on the early Rivieras. I have these new compressors on my 65 Riviera and my 1970

Chevelle SS and they are fantastic.....quiet as a mouse and they don't sling oil out the front seal. They have updated

internals that make them better than when GM's Harrison division was making them, but they still look the same on the outside. Until about

7 years ago, GM was selling new Alma A6 compressors, then they dropped them as obsolete. I found out I could still buy

one when I called Alma Products on the phone to see if they could make me a new one. They informed me that they had never 

stopped making them,  GM just stopped selling them. And people wonder why GM went bankrupt! GM was making about 300.00 off each

one of these they sold but the bean counters decided it was too big a bother to  sell them anymore!

Blind Squirrel found an acorn. My friend new the NAPA dealer in Cockeysville Md. The NAPA dealer got  Alma A6from a supplier in Texas.Imagine that.

Red Riviera Bob

On 5/3/2018 at 1:47 PM, Seafoam65 said:

So, why didn't you include the contact information for Alma Products.  Does one just go to www.almaproducts.com ?  I am going to try that, but it could be right here.  I did just find them at that website, and wrote asking where my mechanic or myself could get one.  We have a restored 1971 Riviera with a rattly A6 in it. 

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

I dug up my info on buying these after some searching. You can buy new  Alma A6 compressors from:

Air Parts in Ocala Florida

Their phone number is 352-509-3281

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

I dug up my info on buying these after some searching. You can buy new  Alma A6 compressors from:

Air Parts in Ocala Florida

Their phone number is 352-509-3281

Man, that's great news.  I'd love to get rid of "Old Rattler".  It works, doesn't throw oil, but sounds like a diesel.  A couple guys are sniffing around my wife's Riviera.  They're tempting us.  If that doesn't go anywhere in the next week I'm going to contact Air Parts.  Thanks, BCA #55

6 hours ago, PWB said:

Bring your Riv’ by me here in Ocala and we’ll get her done.

We have the NPD and Garlets auto museums too. Well over a thousand vehicles between the two.

Paul

I'm in Sebring.  It's 123 miles up there to the rest stop at Garlets'.  Give me your directions at suzybelle39baby@aol.com.  Thanks, BCA #55

I was going to buy one, I got to talking to a couple of guys on this thread, and ended up reluctantly selling the car to one of them.  I had really wanted to sell my 1964 Wildcat, but I'm still stalled getting it out of the backyard paint shop I made the mistake of putting it in.  Guy does a good job but a the speed of a turtle.  Anyway, we had owned a 1971 Riviera Boattail continuously since 1977.  I'll bet we'll miss her, but nothing is forever (well, maybe the blue car to the left is forever for me personally-ha).  Good luck to the new owner.