Sign in to follow this  
thinxman

1942 Woody value

10 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

How are we supposed to figure out what a car is worth from a few bad pictures and almost no information?

Maybe just from the careful storage.

1618578659_x013.jpg.7625e2c7997fd51469582e9fee9e8f0c.jpg

Bleach, I was wondering about the same thing. Where are you thinksman? We can't help you if you don't help us!!!

• Like 1

Well, Rusty I did PM the OP as to what I thought the car was worth. Far more then was quoted on this forum.

Have to wonder when the OP never comes back, most likely due to ridiculously low offers of value/price....................

Always so funny how prices quoted are so so low until someone on this board wants to sell theirs.

then the sky is the limit and insurance values should be double.........................!

The same 10 of us always writing on this board. Cant interest the newbies.................. I wonder why???????????

The whole thing is laughable.

8 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

The same 10 of us always writing on this board. Cant interest the newbies.................. I wonder why???????????

I always keep a Forum browser open in the background  while I work. It is always nice to have a diversion. Ten guys with pockets full of fishhooks, as my Grandfather would say. Money all tangled up in them.

I do methodical, relatively boring work and this is entertaining. If I didn't make generalities I would believe there are a bunch of stereotypes on the Forum. I bet 8 out of the 10 are still leaving quarter tips from one of those leather changes purses. I know enough not to ask a question or offer a car for sale, been here since '06, seen a lot.

Sour old stiffs all over the place, just like real. Someday I am going to set up an HTTP 404 site and have a big party for everyone.

Bernie

• Like 1

We haven't heard from Thinxman perhaps because someone got wind of the Woodie availability and both are ready to deal.

I've seen more than a few estates where a surviving relative is left to deal with the motherload; they just want to close it out.

Edited by drwatson
clear (see edit history)

18 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

As I asked in post 4, where are you located? 

Where are YOU located?  I'm sorry, I just couldn't help it.  One of the fascinating things about this particular forum is the geographic variety of the locations of various Posters, and I can't understand why some folks don't list their location.  An address isn't necessary, but a City, State, Region or even a Country would add to the interest of various posts.  For example, if the Original Poster of this thread had listed his location (City or State) one of our members could have volunteered to help him out with his value assessment.

Don't take my comments seriously or as criticism, it's just one of this old man's pet peeves.:P

Back to the subject of this thread.  The only thing I can tell from the included photos is:

• It's a 1940 Plymouth woody station wagon(thanks Keiser31);
  • There is light damage to the right front fender and the headlight and trim are missing;
  • There is one large (1in. +/- ?) and four smaller holes located below the right headlight which may have been from an after market turn signal installation;
  • The hood ornament and some of the chrome pieces of the grille are missing;
  • The canvas top appears to be wrinkled (not a good sign);
  • There appears to be rust at the point where the upper windshield frame meets the canvas top;
  • The driver's door appears to be missing.

I agree with Rusty in that the value could be somewhere between $500 and $50,000 based on the information included by the O.P.  We don't know the condition of the drive train, or even if it is present.  What about the interior?  Does the car have a valid, transferrable title?  The presence of a good title, alone, could significantly affect the value of the car. 

My guess (I'm far from being an expert), based on information available, is that the "As Is" value would be VERY roughly between $500 and $2,000.  This is based upon the assumption that the car suffers missing wooden body components and fittings and lacks  a title, drive train, interior etc.  This is an honest guess as to the value of the subject vehicle and does not constitute an offer to purchase; therefore, my valuation (ill-informed as it may be) cannot be considered "lowballed ... thievery".

Cheers,

Grog

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Do they push them off to avoid any chance of having something mechanical fail since the car now has a new owner and don't want to be responsible for it?  ...

I expect it improves the flow and tone of the event.

The cars are shut off during the bidding of course, and there would certainly be some reluctant to re-start after the sale.  This would be a negative to not only the buyers of those lots but also plant seeds of doubt about other offerings.

OTOH, the silent, white-gloved "Pusher" teams add to the cachet of the whole event.

60 flat top I will take issue with one point. I believe in tipping generously. Do you want to know why? One reason is that I love a bargain and if I can bring joy to someone for a few extra bucks it is worth it. The other reason is that hard working men and women deserve respect. I know this is not a popular viewpoint but it is mine.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm located on Long Island. The only reason I asked where he was located is that if he was reasonably close to L.I., I would offer to look over the car and give him an evaluation. I have owned, built and researched "Woodie"' Station Wagons for 25 years. I don't profess to be an expert, but have been to all the big Woodie shows, Wavecrest, Woodies on the Wharf and all the east coast Woodie shows. I also know many of the people that have a business of re-wooding station wagons. I have seen a lot worse brought back to life, this car might be one of them. 

• Like 1

There is a very needy 1950 Plymouth Woodie Station wagon on E-Bay Motors. The bid is up to $3300 with 4 days left. Listed under "woodie station wagons".