1942 Woody value

thinxman

Hello, we inherited a 1942 woody that has been sitting in cold storage for 30+ years.  This car is in pieces and needs love and attention.  Im wondering what the as is value roughly is.  Any numbers would help.

Thank you

Tommy

woody front 2.JPG

woody front end and clutter.JPG

woody front end.JPG

woody front with bin.JPG

woody nose.JPG

The value is roughly  between $500 and $50,000 depending on condition. Yours looks more like the $500 job. If it is complete, not rusted out and you have all the missing parts maybe a few thousand.

To turn your car into a $50,000 car would take a complete restoration which would cost over $100,000. This is why projects aren't worth very much no matter how old or rare.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

More photos would be needed to help with a rough value.

As a parts car it should be worth  more than $500.

If you have the paper work, can find all or most of the trim and the wood is at least good enough to make patters the price goes up.

Let us know when you dig it out and what part of the world you are in.

• Like 1

A complete re-wood will be somewhere in the $18 to $22k range, is any wood good? Big question is how is the rest of the body? Plymouths are fairly rare and "Woodie" parts are scarce. All the unique brackets, door latches, etc will be very hard to find if they are missing. Even as a parts car it can be valuable. Finished, in show condition, it would be worth somewhere in the $70 to $100K range. I have Ford "Woodies", so that is what I am basing my estimate on, any Plymouth people out there? If you aren't in a rush to get it done, it could be a nice project.

thinx, are the pieces of wood in the second picture parts of a door? If you do remove the car from storage, take your time and make sure you get all the parts. Where are you located. 

As a reference we have been trying to sell a 1949 Olds Woodie project car with the famous Rocket 88 engine in running condition  for well over a year and cannot get even 1 offer at our asking price of $4000 or best offer. Best of luck.

I agree with Rusty. I know how hard it is to find Ford Woodie parts and Plymouths are scarcer. Scarce = money. For example, I have seen original rain gutters for '41 thru '48 Ford wagons for $2500,  wagon only, rear bumper for $750, door handles for $250 each. As I originally stated, if you are missing any of the small interior metal parts that are  unique to the station wagon you may never find them. I can't remember, but that car may have a wood floor also. In one way thats a plus because the wood floor is a lot easier to replace than metal floors. I'm probably crazy, but I would restore the car, but I do all my own woodwork and mechanicals. I'm looking to do another Woodie, but as I said Ford's are my thing. More pictures!!!

But the parts value is very strange.  I have a 1936 Cord everything for it is expensive,  but try to sell the parts,  and they hardly bring anything unless someone is in a bind.  

There was a very similar year and probably condition,  though it hadn't been disassembled at all Plymouth Woody for sale (pre war) around here last year or the year before.  Needed to be fully restored but was complete,  not rusty and all the wood was intact.  I didn't examine to say if it needed all new wood or only some,  but they started it at 18G.  I think they were closer to 10G when I stopped seeing it advertised for sale,  so I think it sold.  The exact number,  I'm not sure. If it's complete you could shoot for low teens and hope.  It's all in how good everything is and what it needs. 

• Like 1

You need to take an inventory of what you have and what is missing. If you are missing things like door hinges, door locks, door handles, strikers and all the little metal do dads that hold the interior wood together you might be in trouble. I surf Woodie sites every day, including E-Bay and occasionally you will see a Ford part, but I have never seen door handles or locks for a Plymouth. It's not about the wood as there are several people out there that specialize in Woodie replacement wood. As I asked in post 4, where are you located? 

The wild card here, is: what's the condition of the wood body?  I think we're all assuming it's rotted, therefore a full restoration ($$$) is needed.  In that case, no one will want to offer you very much for the car, since he already will have a ton of money to spend on it.

But what if a substantial portion of the wood is still decent?  Maybe a good woodworker could replace the few rotted pieces, refinish the rest, and someone would have a nice (not trophy-winning) car to drive around, for fun.  In this way the car would be worth more than just a "shell" in which to sink tens of thousands of dollars.

Why not clear away some of that junk in front of it, haul it out into the sunlight, and take some good photos of the wooden body?   At the same time you could take an inventory of the hardware and other components that are unique to Plymouths, and -- if nothing else -- will add to the value of the wagon as a "parts car" for restoring another Plymouth woodie. 

• Like 1

What the hell cars is cars parts is parts and collectors is nuts. All we have to do is glance at a bad photo and can tell to the penny what a car is worth, then next day Jay Leno will come around with a trailer and a picnic basket full of $100 bills. Isn't that how it works.

or Rusty, we can tell newbies that their cars are worthless, and get "deals" for ourselves and kill the hobby....

is that how it should be?

fella came on here asking for an honest answer- not to be lowballed by thievery.

3 hours ago, mercer09 said:

or Rusty, we can tell newbies that their cars are worthless, and get "deals" for ourselves and kill the hobby....

is that how it should be?

fella came on here asking for an honest answer- not to be lowballed by thievery.

All the hopeless hope in the world. How are we supposed to figure out what a car is worth from a few bad pictures and almost no information? What is a rough condition parts car worth? I don't see you rushing to buy it, or even offering an opinion on its value.

Would you give more than $500 for what you can see in the pictures and based on the information given? What makes you think the missing parts are even there? What is it worth if it was stripped and the parts sold, discarded or lost 30 years ago? So many questions and so few answers.

Are they Pushing the 1950 in the photo?  It almost looks like it.  Even with a blown motor,  that 50 Looks like a good deal at 18, though I can't see the lower body.  Styling wise,  I would have to think a pre war Plymouth woody would be a little more desirable than a post war and especially the 1949or 1950 Versions. 

Do they push them off to avoid any chance of having something mechanical fail since the car now has a new owner and don't want to be responsible for it?  I seem to remember a while back some car caught on fire after the auction ended when they started it to drive it off the block.  It was probably an argument after that to see who paid for the damages as the new owner wouldn't have insurance on it and since it was officially sold,  the old owner's insurance might not pay for it.  Does anyone know the reason? 

Well, Rusty I did PM the OP as to what I thought the car was worth. Far more then was quoted on this forum.

Have to wonder when the OP never comes back, most likely due to ridiculously low offers of value/price....................

Always so funny how prices quoted are so so low until someone on this board wants to sell theirs.

then the sky is the limit and insurance values should be double.........................!

The same 10 of us always writing on this board. Cant interest the newbies.................. I wonder why???????????

The whole thing is laughable.

8 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

The same 10 of us always writing on this board. Cant interest the newbies.................. I wonder why???????????

I always keep a Forum browser open in the background  while I work. It is always nice to have a diversion. Ten guys with pockets full of fishhooks, as my Grandfather would say. Money all tangled up in them.

I do methodical, relatively boring work and this is entertaining. If I didn't make generalities I would believe there are a bunch of stereotypes on the Forum. I bet 8 out of the 10 are still leaving quarter tips from one of those leather changes purses. I know enough not to ask a question or offer a car for sale, been here since '06, seen a lot.

Sour old stiffs all over the place, just like real. Someday I am going to set up an HTTP 404 site and have a big party for everyone.

Bernie

• Like 1

We haven't heard from Thinxman perhaps because someone got wind of the Woodie availability and both are ready to deal.

I've seen more than a few estates where a surviving relative is left to deal with the motherload; they just want to close it out.

Edited by drwatson
clear (see edit history)

18 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

As I asked in post 4, where are you located? 

Where are YOU located?  I'm sorry, I just couldn't help it.  One of the fascinating things about this particular forum is the geographic variety of the locations of various Posters, and I can't understand why some folks don't list their location.  An address isn't necessary, but a City, State, Region or even a Country would add to the interest of various posts.  For example, if the Original Poster of this thread had listed his location (City or State) one of our members could have volunteered to help him out with his value assessment.

Don't take my comments seriously or as criticism, it's just one of this old man's pet peeves.:P

Back to the subject of this thread.  The only thing I can tell from the included photos is:

• It's a 1940 Plymouth woody station wagon(thanks Keiser31);
  • There is light damage to the right front fender and the headlight and trim are missing;
  • There is one large (1in. +/- ?) and four smaller holes located below the right headlight which may have been from an after market turn signal installation;
  • The hood ornament and some of the chrome pieces of the grille are missing;
  • The canvas top appears to be wrinkled (not a good sign);
  • There appears to be rust at the point where the upper windshield frame meets the canvas top;
  • The driver's door appears to be missing.

I agree with Rusty in that the value could be somewhere between $500 and $50,000 based on the information included by the O.P.  We don't know the condition of the drive train, or even if it is present.  What about the interior?  Does the car have a valid, transferrable title?  The presence of a good title, alone, could significantly affect the value of the car. 

My guess (I'm far from being an expert), based on information available, is that the "As Is" value would be VERY roughly between $500 and $2,000.  This is based upon the assumption that the car suffers missing wooden body components and fittings and lacks  a title, drive train, interior etc.  This is an honest guess as to the value of the subject vehicle and does not constitute an offer to purchase; therefore, my valuation (ill-informed as it may be) cannot be considered "lowballed ... thievery".

Cheers,

Grog

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Do they push them off to avoid any chance of having something mechanical fail since the car now has a new owner and don't want to be responsible for it?  ...

I expect it improves the flow and tone of the event.

The cars are shut off during the bidding of course, and there would certainly be some reluctant to re-start after the sale.  This would be a negative to not only the buyers of those lots but also plant seeds of doubt about other offerings.

OTOH, the silent, white-gloved "Pusher" teams add to the cachet of the whole event.

60 flat top I will take issue with one point. I believe in tipping generously. Do you want to know why? One reason is that I love a bargain and if I can bring joy to someone for a few extra bucks it is worth it. The other reason is that hard working men and women deserve respect. I know this is not a popular viewpoint but it is mine.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm located on Long Island. The only reason I asked where he was located is that if he was reasonably close to L.I., I would offer to look over the car and give him an evaluation. I have owned, built and researched "Woodie"' Station Wagons for 25 years. I don't profess to be an expert, but have been to all the big Woodie shows, Wavecrest, Woodies on the Wharf and all the east coast Woodie shows. I also know many of the people that have a business of re-wooding station wagons. I have seen a lot worse brought back to life, this car might be one of them. 

• Like 1

There is a very needy 1950 Plymouth Woodie Station wagon on E-Bay Motors. The bid is up to $3300 with 4 days left. Listed under "woodie station wagons".