Give a little...it asks for more

jglawnyc

With the beautiful day here in Brooklyn, I decided to give a little time for Reatta bonding.  Bought some MAF sensor cleaner and got to work, removing two of three screws, and STRIPPING the third!!! (lower part of MAF, right of the connector)  I'm gonna try a small needle nose vice grip to see if I can still get a little meat to grab, otherwise my MAF sensor will remain with the great unwashed....I also broke the connector tab...anyone have another or know where I can get?  It is tight for now.  Will Seafoam help clean the MAF sensor? Thanks all

MAF1.JPG.194da0fb3b7f8e5be3f586ca9ef676c9.JPG

You can try an impact screwdriver. They are available at Harbor Freight. You put the screwdriver blade into the impact chuck then give it a whack with a hammer. Might move it enough to break it loose. I also have broke my tab and now use a zip tie.

4 hours ago, jglawnyc said:

With the beautiful day here in Brooklyn, I decided to give a little time for Reatta bonding.  Bought some MAF sensor cleaner and got to work, removing two of three screws, and STRIPPING the third!!! (lower part of MAF, right of the connector)  I'm gonna try a small needle nose vice grip to see if I can still get a little meat to grab, otherwise my MAF sensor will remain with the great unwashed....I also broke the connector tab...anyone have another or know where I can get?  It is tight for now.  Will Seafoam help clean the MAF sensor? Thanks all

MAF1.JPG.194da0fb3b7f8e5be3f586ca9ef676c9.JPG

The biggest problem with those little screws is they are a Japanese standard, or JIS. They look like a Phillips but they are not. If you look closely, there is a tiny dot on top of the head of the screw. I finally bought a set of JIS screwdrivers, Vessel brand, and will never go back. They are pricey, but they work equally well on standard Phillips screws. That said, I agree with Dave on the impact driver. I take one with me when shopping the yard. 

If the impact screwdriver does not work, you might try a small sharp chisel with a small hammer.  Create a notch on the side of the screw by tapping counter clockwise on an angle with the chisel. I've taken many stripped screws out that way.

I would try using a hacksaw blade to cut a large slot in the head of the screw and then try to back it out with a large flat blade screwdriver.  Looks like you might have to remove the hacksaw blade from the frame and wrap something around it so you can use it by hand it those tight spaces.

Thanks guys...all great suggestions....in the middle of all this I stop by my mechanic who got animated proclaiming "NEVER touch the MAF sensor!!!"  However, I'm still trying to squeeze out MPG's.  I will get back as to the strip screw fixes.

Please add the model of your Reatta to your signature line.    Click here to learn how to edit your signature line

Seafoam isn't recommended for cleaning the MAF sensor. You should remove the screws as you started to do and use a can of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner or equivalent to clean it. Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Cleaning  I don't agree with  our mechanic saying never touch the MAF.

Thanks, Ronnie.   I often disagree with the mechanic too, but understand his concern.

Any ideas on the connector? or is it better to make due with a zip tie and stop obsessing about having each perfect part?

It's not uncommon for the old a brittle tabs on the connectors to break. I broke the tab on the connector for the transmission. It has never came out without using a zip tie.  If you are concerned about it I would just use a zip tie.