Sign in to follow this  
plymouthcranbrook

One reason the young cannot even think about buying an old car

1 minute ago, Frank DuVal said:

I wish I could still find bench seat covers at K-Mart!

You can use a shower  curtain.

DSCF0219.jpg

• Haha 1

I bought my first "old" car when I was 16.  A 1970 Monte Carlo,  350 V8 with power-glide.  Listed in a news paper for $1000 and I got it for $900.  I had to sell it when I moved out of state.  At the time cars were still available and reasonable but that's not the case anymore.  I wish I held onto that car.  I think the classics are becoming really old and that shows.  When I bought my monte it was barely over 20 years old.  A similar car now would be a 1995 and who wants that?  a 1970 at this point is 48 years old.  My 37 Pontiac is 81 years old.  I did notice at SEMA this year there was a lot more 80's and 90's cars with immaculate rebuilds.  I've often thought about doing an early 90's firebird as I had one of those and would love to have one again.  I'd bet I could find a decent 92 firebird 6 for less than $1000 just like I did with the Monte.  I think the difference is that almost any car from 1972 and back seems special, even the lowliest family car.  After that it was only a few models each year that are sought after.  It's hard for a young person to find those few examples with a reasonable age and still running.  A 1995 mustang vs a Taurus?  Who would restore a taurus?

• Like 1

Bought this bone stock 1994 in 2011. Routine maintenance, tires, and polishing. Paid $9,000 and saved a lot of restoration work that may or may not have been done satisfactorily.

016.jpg.945d00ecbdc2ce7fafb047d99028858d.jpg

There are a lot of much older cars that were bought early or passed on, Father to Son. Stay in the loop for a while and listen. All is not as it seems.

That car should score very well at Hershey in 2019.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ossojones said:

I bought my first "old" car when I was 16.  A 1970 Monte Carlo,  350 V8 with power-glide.  Listed in a news paper for $1000 and I got it for $900.  I had to sell it when I moved out of state.  At the time cars were still available and reasonable but that's not the case anymore.  I wish I held onto that car.  I think the classics are becoming really old and that shows.  When I bought my monte it was barely over 20 years old.  A similar car now would be a 1995 and who wants that?  a 1970 at this point is 48 years old.  My 37 Pontiac is 81 years old.  I did notice at SEMA this year there was a lot more 80's and 90's cars with immaculate rebuilds.  I've often thought about doing an early 90's firebird as I had one of those and would love to have one again.  I'd bet I could find a decent 92 firebird 6 for less than $1000 just like I did with the Monte.  I think the difference is that almost any car from 1972 and back seems special, even the lowliest family car.  After that it was only a few models each year that are sought after.  It's hard for a young person to find those few examples with a reasonable age and still running.  A 1995 mustang vs a Taurus?  Who would restore a taurus?

Or you could buy a really nice Firebird,  that didn't need restoration for 5G or less.   Guaranteed to be cheaper than the clapped out $1000 one will be when you finish it. 

If you enjoy the journey though,  Go for it. 

One reason the young cannot even think about buying an old car.

They still live at home with their parents..

Just drive dads cars... It is cheaper..

sub.JPG

On 5/8/2018 at 10:44 PM, Frank DuVal said:

I wish I could still find bench seat covers at K-Mart!

That's what JC Whitney is for........ :D

I bought some cloth, knit, seat covers from them for my '27 Model T and I love them.

• Like 1

One could even have a 66 Buick convertible for 5300.  I'm sure it's far from perfect but a red convertible with a black interior ain't all that bad for 5G in the North east.  Top even looks decent in the photos.   

https://utica.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-convertible/6587683049.html

00b0b_1xw6CbrbEDL_600x450.jpg

00f0f_cPEXIsLkQp8_600x450.jpg

00d0d_d0EIRl1Hyz7_600x450.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

On 5/2/2018 at 7:27 AM, captndan said:

Youngsters today want money in not money out.   Old cars are not chick magnets.

Might depend on where you live, back in CA I couldn’t pick one up if I offered a free dinner and a garage parking spot. Out here in the Midwest they get all excited and want to know if you can fix their car or household items, I’d be more inclined but I married the first one I met with a broken down car..... 

• Haha 1

Doesn’t matter if you are young or old no one can really afford an antique car. We just think we can. 

Dave S 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My Father went bowling every Wednesday night. His hobby could have, just as easily, been cars. They even had TV shows about bowling once. I have no interest in carrying on a tradition.

The Hobby is just about four generations old- if you consider James Melton driving an old car in the 1937 Easter Parade to be the kick off. Four generations might be a good lifespan for anything.

Bernie

Things do have lifecycles as "mainstream", I read an interesting opinion article recently making the same case about rock and roll music.  Tough for many to understand, but it can be argued it is nearing the end as the most popular music, as was the case years ago with jazz.  Sure many will continue to have an interest, but maybe not as a mainstream genre.  I suspect that is where the hobby is going, but it doesnt make me enjoy it less.  

As i said earlier, if one wants to be involved badly enough they usually can be on some level.  It may surprise some but plenty of younger people work and earn good livings, and they arent all in basements addicted to gaming,  they just want to do different things with their off time and money.  And some younger people will be into this hobby, just not as many.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have noticed that. Modern music (rap and rap-a-billy) are most like Gregorian Chants.

• Like 1

Funny I have made much the same observation with some of the stuff my 18 year old son listens to. { he also listens to quite a bit that I do like }  I jokingly refer to it as Orc marching or Orc chanting music . He does not see the humor in my comment.

Greg in Canada

• Haha 1