One reason the young cannot even think about buying an old car

One could even have a 66 Buick convertible for 5300.  I'm sure it's far from perfect but a red convertible with a black interior ain't all that bad for 5G in the North east.  Top even looks decent in the photos.   

https://utica.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-convertible/6587683049.html

00b0b_1xw6CbrbEDL_600x450.jpg

00f0f_cPEXIsLkQp8_600x450.jpg

00d0d_d0EIRl1Hyz7_600x450.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

On 5/2/2018 at 7:27 AM, captndan said:

Youngsters today want money in not money out.   Old cars are not chick magnets.

Might depend on where you live, back in CA I couldn’t pick one up if I offered a free dinner and a garage parking spot. Out here in the Midwest they get all excited and want to know if you can fix their car or household items, I’d be more inclined but I married the first one I met with a broken down car..... 

• Haha 1

My Father went bowling every Wednesday night. His hobby could have, just as easily, been cars. They even had TV shows about bowling once. I have no interest in carrying on a tradition.

The Hobby is just about four generations old- if you consider James Melton driving an old car in the 1937 Easter Parade to be the kick off. Four generations might be a good lifespan for anything.

Bernie

Things do have lifecycles as "mainstream", I read an interesting opinion article recently making the same case about rock and roll music.  Tough for many to understand, but it can be argued it is nearing the end as the most popular music, as was the case years ago with jazz.  Sure many will continue to have an interest, but maybe not as a mainstream genre.  I suspect that is where the hobby is going, but it doesnt make me enjoy it less.  

As i said earlier, if one wants to be involved badly enough they usually can be on some level.  It may surprise some but plenty of younger people work and earn good livings, and they arent all in basements addicted to gaming,  they just want to do different things with their off time and money.  And some younger people will be into this hobby, just not as many.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Funny I have made much the same observation with some of the stuff my 18 year old son listens to. { he also listens to quite a bit that I do like }  I jokingly refer to it as Orc marching or Orc chanting music . He does not see the humor in my comment.

Greg in Canada

• Haha 1