I have not had any problems on any of the Diamondbacks I have used. It's a mistake to think it's just a Port-a-Wall glued onto a regular tire with a hope and a prayer. Coker will obviously make a big deal out of it not being the "right" way to do it, but I've never had a failure and the one failure I do know of, Diamondback replaced the tires on a pro-rated basis (the whitewalls turned yellow after 5 or 6 years on a 1947 Cadillac). I like the fact that Diamondback uses brand new tires, which hasn't been my experience with Coker, where either the tires don't have a date code or they are indeed several years old. I installed the Diamondbacks on my Limited in July and they had an April date code. They were FRESH. I also received an 80,000 mile treadwear warranty from the original manufacturer, something Coker can't offer.

In the end, I don't think it matters. My problems with Coker tires are well-documented, but others have had good experiences so who can say? I avoid Cokers when a Diamondback alternative is available. The only reason I used Cokers on the '41 Cadillac above is because Diamondback just couldn't get the size I wanted/needed for that car. There was a national backorder on whatever tire they use (a Yokohama truck radial, I believe) and they didn't know whey they would be able to get more. Since the car was sitting on a flat tire that couldn't be fixed, I needed a tire and Coker had them in stock. That is the ONLY reason I chose Coker over Diamondback--availability. I sold the car shortly thereafter, so I don't know about the durability of the Coker tires. However, my '41 Limited gets used A LOT and has never had a tire-related problem since installing the Diamondbacks. They don't even leak down over the winter with a 5000 pound car sitting on them. No flat spots, no discoloration, nothing. They are ready to drive on today after 7 months of sitting. I don't know that I would trust a Coker tire of any kind to do the same. 

Don't let the way the whitewalls are installed/revealed/whatever be the deciding factor on what tire you choose. That's a non-issue.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

1 hour ago, buick man said:

… O.k. but regarding Diamonds, would not the vulcanizing process render a side wall profile much like a "Decal Whitewall" or tire pasty …. ?  overlapping onto the original contour surface of the tire …. where tires that originally have the white wall molded as such usually have an integrated raised circumferential profile rim that serves as a molded guard along the outer edge of the white wall ... or do Diamonds include that as well into their vulcanized layover …  and is it true that all Coker tires you get have grinding marks on the sidewalls …. ?  just asking - uncle dave

tire.jpg.654ad407706769ee0b059396a93383e8.jpg

DOT added by Diamonback

I don't sell Diamondbacks, but this is my second set made on Toyo Extensa A/S.  One tire needed one ounce to balance, one needed 1/2 ounce to balance and the other 2 needed no added weight.  None of the tires were over 3 mo old according to the Toyo date code on the back.  Go to a car show for some examples.

You can specify the WWW width...mine are 2.5 inches which gives the proportions that I want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe Coker is adding DOT safety now, but last year there was a thread about how Coker tires are cheaply manufactured over seas with no DOT certification and there were several reported blow outs. I believe it was in the pre-war section right after the Nationals. 

Also, if you go on their website, only some of their tires have a DOT disclaimer. However, due to their warehouse nature, it sounds like it's a crapshoot with what you get. 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beemon said:

Maybe Coker is adding DOT safety now, but last year there was a thread about how Coker tires are cheaply manufactured over seas with no DOT certification and there were several reported blow outs. I believe it was in the pre-war section right after the Nationals. 

Also, if you go on their website, only some of their tires have a DOT disclaimer. However, due to their warehouse nature, it sounds like it's a crapshoot with what you get. 

Definitely a crap shoot.  I'm not sure how the tires are permitted into the country without DOT.  I run Coker bias on my 60.   Wonderful tire.  There was an older set of Cokers on the 60 when purchased the car.  These looked ok with some age.   I replaces all.  My Universal bias are great tires as well.  No issues at all.  I have had them 5 years.  Look great.      

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2018 at 12:48 PM, old-tank said:

tire.jpg.654ad407706769ee0b059396a93383e8.jpg

DOT added by Diamonback

I don't sell Diamondbacks, but this is my second set made on Toyo Extensa A/S.  One tire needed one ounce to balance, one needed 1/2 ounce to balance and the other 2 needed no added weight.  None of the tires were over 3 mo old according to the Toyo date code on the back.  Go to a car show for some examples.

You can specify the WWW width...mine are 2.5 inches which gives the proportions that I want.

Willie, are those DB's  225/70R15's?    Do you know the actual measurement from the outside of the wheel rim to the outside of the tire whitewall?   true 2 1/2 "?   I just know that with some WW's some of the white ends up under the bead but is used to describe their WW width.  You run tubes with the KH wires I presume.  And while I got you, do you have any problem with getting your tires mounted and balanced on your wires?  Can most any major tire store do so.  I'm still on the fence of running wires or steels.

For the Century, right now I am considering either a set of DB's or a set of these Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe which I have always loved the look of the "pie crust edge" and the raised letters in the whitewall. 760/15 w  2 3/4 WW

670-15-supercshndlx2_34_2.jpg

Only $20 difference in total for 4 including shipping.

Thoughts?

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Willie, are those DB's  225/70R15's?    Do you know the actual measurement from the outside of the wheel rim to the outside of the tire whitewall?   true 2 1/2 "?   I just know that with some WW's some of the white ends up under the bead but is used to describe their WW width.  You run tubes with the KH wires I presume.  And while I got you, do you have any problem with getting your tires mounted and balanced on your wires?  Can most any major tire store do so.  I'm still on the fence of running wires or steels.

For the Century, right now I am considering either a set of DB's or a set of these which I have always loved the look of the "pie crust edge" and the raised letters in the whitewall. 760/15 w  2 3/4 WW

670-15-supercshndlx2_34_2.jpg

Only $20 difference in total for 4 including shipping.

Thoughts?

The DB' are 225-75R15 that were ordered with 2.5" whitewall;  mounted they are 2 3/8 which gives the visual proportions that I like.  I think the default is 2.75".

My wire wheels on the convertible are Vintiques and are tubeless with 760-15 Silvertown bias.

Are you sure they make a Firestone in 760-15?  The Coker Classics with similar tread are junk:  whitewall width will vary and they ride and handle like truck tires.  If you want bias, go with the Silvertowns.

The DB radials have a smaller diameter/circumference and to get my speedometer accurate again I had to use a driven gear from a 55 Special, which means that my effective gear ratio changed from 3.4 to 3.6 (your stick Century will go from 3.9 to 4.1).  235-75R15 will get closer to original diameter, but may rub in turns and will be heavier increasing the unsprung weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Willie, I've got a message into Diamond Back asking if it is possible to get the Auburn Premium (top) or Auburn Deluxe in either 225-75R15 OR 235-75R15 with 2 3/4" White Wall. I think both are a good period looking tires. If not I will likely go with the BFG's as you suggested.  Thanks again for the help.

image.png.38171b66864511df26bbcde79c403f79.pngimage.png.3342e8c68eda3c271722da329d62ebd7.png

@old-tank

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2018 at 4:57 PM, avgwarhawk said:

My Universal bias are great tires as well

and priced right too. What size is the WW on yours Chris? I had hoped to pick up a set of "somethings" at Universal Tire when we went to Hershey this year as that is where the store is but since no Hershey.......

Posted (edited)

I asked Diamondback a while ago what the whitewall measurement is exactly. It is the visible part from the rim edge out to the edge of the whitewall. I have in front of me a 600-16 Auburn that was special ordered with a 2-1/4" whitewall. It measures 2-1/4".

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Coker or owns Universal tire and they are the same tire as Coker classic except for the label on the side.

• Like 1

I like the Auburn too but it doesn’t come in a 7.60-15 (225/75) size

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, buick5563 said:

I like the Auburn too but it doesn’t come in a 7.60-15 (225/75) size

They show the Auburn Premium in 235/75 but with 3" WW as the smallest offered. Haven't heard back yet if they can furnish either Auburn in 225-75R15 OR 235-75R15 with 2 3/4".

9 hours ago, old-tank said:

Coker or owns Universal tire and they are the same tire as Coker classic except for the label on the side.

Right. Not really interested in dealing with Coker nor running anything Coker. Universal Tire offers the BFG and Goodyear that I'm interested in which is what I would have possibly gotten had we went to Hershey.

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Right. Not really interested in dealing with Coker nor running anything Coker. Universal Tire offers the BFG and Goodyear that I'm interested in which is what I would have possibly gotten had we went to Hershey.

Check Summit Racing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Check Summit Racing...

Yea there's a good difference because of shipping mainly. 242 ea and 153 for 4 shpng  with Universal and 240 and 20 Summit.    

One more thing.  Bias or radial?  Depends on how much you drive.  Bias will last 15 years or 15,000 miles; radials will last 5 years or 60,000 miles.  My last set of Silvertowns (5th set) lasted 2 years.  The next set from Diamondback radials lasted 5 years (35,000 miles).  Now if you smoke the tires a lot, then just get some cheap ones from WallyWorld.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Now if you smoke the tires a lot, then just get some cheap ones from WallyWorld.

Wally World it is then :D

Just kidding but there's always the possibility that my foot slips off the clutch at high revs. Because I'm leaning toward running them on some KH wires and from all the negatives I've read about radials on old KH wires, I'm probably going with bias. So if that's the case it will be between the BFG (made by Coker) and the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe which I assume is made by Goodyear and distributed by Kelsey.  Guess I need to make the wire wheel decision first and go from there. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MrEarl said:

and priced right too. What size is the WW on yours Chris? I had hoped to pick up a set of "somethings" at Universal Tire when we went to Hershey this year as that is where the store is but since no Hershey.......

I will have to let you know.  Overall I'm satisfied with the Universals.  I have had these on for 7 years.  Still look new.  The WW has not turned yellow or bubbled.      

Posted (edited)

This from Diamond Back

Lamar, I can do the auburn deluxe in 8.20-15 ( with the bias ply look), this is equivalent to a 235/75R15. We also have our Auburn Premium 235/75/15 as well. Nothing available in either auburn in the 225/75/15

If I was looking for something for a Roadmaster, the 8.20-15's would probably work fine but suspect there would be some scrubbing in the front on the Century. So looking more like going with the Coker BF Goodrich or the Goodyear  Super Cushion Deluxe both available from Summit (and hoping the Cokers aren't 5 years old already)   Anybody here had any experience with the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe?

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

So looking more like going with the Coker BF Goodrich or the Goodyear  Super Cushion Deluxe both available from Summit (and hoping the Cokers aren't 5 years old already)   Anybody here had any experience with the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe?

I have seen them on show cars and they look nice.

They are not made by Coker.

Same tread as Goodyears that we used on a 55 Special back in the 1960's.

Drive to the Summit store in GA (call first) and check date codes.  Less than 5 years old on bias ply would be acceptable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

This from Diamond Back

Lamar, I can do the auburn deluxe in 8.20-15 ( with the bias ply look), this is equivalent to a 235/75R15. We also have our Auburn Premium 235/75/15 as well. Nothing available in either auburn in the 225/75/15

If I was looking for something for a Roadmaster, the 8.20-15's would probably work fine but suspect there would be some scrubbing in the front on the Century. So looking more like going with the Coker BF Goodrich or the Goodyear  Super Cushion Deluxe both available from Summit (and hoping the Cokers aren't 5 years old already)   Anybody here had any experience with the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe?

I put the 8.20-15 DBs on my 1940 and, although a tight fit, no rubbing. They look good too with the widest WW. Don't know what the fit would be on the '54.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrEarl said:

This from Diamond Back

You might want to take a closer look at the actual measurements of those 8.20-15s. He may be going by outside diameter. None of the "old" sizes have an aspect ratio number as low as 75, and IIRC there is a little funny business about the 8.20-15 size on top of it in some brands. Diamondback list their 8.20-15 at 29.2 inches tall and and an 8.2 inch section width. They list their 235-75-15 at 29 inches tall and a 9.2 inch section width. A 225-75-15 calculates to 28.3 inches tall and 8.8 inches of section width.

• Thanks 1

If anyone is looking for the Goodyears I am a dealer.

• Thanks 1

I got 10 years and about 12,000 miles from my first set of Coker's on my '60 Electra and it looks like the second set will right there with the same service. I bought them in 2012. I always run 35 PSIG. My grandfather stood next to either the recapping mold or the vulcanizer and said "We put them together with heat and pressure, that's how they come apart. Keep them at 35." Also lower pressures will tend to pull objects into the tire, where higher inflation tends to bounce things away.

On that car, don't start sinking time and money into it until it is legally in your own name.Put some insurance on it and license it in your state. There are a lot of guys out there who have cars that are in another person's ownership from decades ago. There is always the chance of a hitch when you go to get it licensed. Do that legal stuff first.

Bernie