1949 Buick Hi torque starter problem

gdmn852

Hello, recently had some trouble with starter on my 49 Buick that was converted to 12 volt with hi torque starter.It engaged and wouldn't stop, thought problem may be in start switch on Carburetor, that checked out ok, then checked the safety switch for Dynaflow , it also was good .Finally found that there is a relay wired into the hi torque starter, it was a 5 pin BOSCH relay that was stuck closed .Removed and replaced it ,problem solved.Plan to carry a spare in case this happens again . Just thought I would pass along my experience in case someone else has the same problem . Gary  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello,It was one of the 'improvements " that was made on it before I bought it, much like the home made wiring harness that was replaced with a original reproduction . I plan to replace starter when I find a good rebuildable core .car also was missing the fuel pump with only an electric that was problematic. this was also replaced with a rebuilt original.

18 hours ago, gdmn852 said:

Hello,It was one of the 'improvements " that was made on it before I bought it, much like the home made wiring harness that was replaced with a original reproduction .

I bought an '88 Jaguar XJS a few years ago. The owner showed me how to start it. There was a length of 12/3 Romex sticking up next to the shifter. He said I had to touch the two wires together to start it. When I reached toward them he said "Wait! You have to put on that glove on the passenger seat. Those wires get real hot."

British! I already teased the guys at the Rolls-Royce shop with my BMW. '03 was the first BMW built Phantom. I told them I decided to take my risks with the German electrics. Fart in church.

I guess I am the new, on call, K-CAN INPA support guy.