World's Ugliest Corvette?

Lebowski

I went to a cruise last weekend sponsored by one of the Louisville Corvette clubs and this car was there. A woodie Corvette with running boards? I don't think so. The owner calls it the Hawaiian Hillbilly. Have you ever seen an uglier one? If so post a pic of it here. Thanks....

image1.jpg.9422fd45313af5968145846553805ce7.jpg

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

Ugliest is a tough call as it has to rely on the perspective of many including the builder of this thing. You have to face it that most people believe their newborn baby is the most adorable ever, yet many of us would suggest that it has to be the first baby they had ever seen

vette9.jpg

2 hours ago, ragtop4two said:

You have to face it that most people believe their newborn baby is the most adorable ever........

rt4t,

You are absolutely right! Every time I see people posting pics of their kids on Facebook, I know they see this:

classic-tiny-trike-lifestyle-model-320.jpg

I rebuilt this one several years ago to what you see in the picture. Lots of people said it was ugly, and the corvette club types took a dim view of it - which added to my enjoyment, lol. The car started life as a 68 convertible that was subsequently wrecked and had an Eckler's vettewagon kit installed, probably in the '70's. I found in on ebay (really need to stay off of there) derelict in S.E. Missouri. I enjoyed the project, and didn't have much money in it when finished. Sold it at an auction.

vette wagon 2.jpg

vette wagon 1.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

31 Caddy  That is the only good looking modified Corvette that I have seen.  Even better than good looking it is excellent.

Wow!....ummmm,   errrr, gee Thanks! That's the nicest compliment it ever got. ?

I guess the intent was to make them as ugly as possible.  Maybe we should consider a new display category. 

Terry

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Joe in Canada, I disagree with you. The BEST thing they can do is park them all on a railroad track and put them all out of their misery.

Sorry I did not state that correctly. Thanks

12 hours ago, 31 Caddy said:

Wow!....ummmm,   errrr, gee Thanks! That's the nicest compliment it ever got. ?

I really like the car Very tastefully done !  I would consider buying a conversion, but I need hatch back.  

I'd prefer a regular hood rather than the hi-rise but the car is definitely NOT ugly - and that color is sweet!

17 hours ago, 31 Caddy said:

I rebuilt this one several years ago to what you see in the picture. Lots of people said it was ugly, and the corvette club types took a dim view of it - which added to my enjoyment, lol. The car started life as a 68 convertible that was subsequently wrecked and had an Eckler's vettewagon kit installed, probably in the '70's. I found in on ebay (really need to stay off of there) derelict in S.E. Missouri. I enjoyed the project, and didn't have much money in it when finished. Sold it at an auction.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, ragtop4two said:

Ugliest is a tough call as it has to rely on the perspective of many including the builder of this thing. You have to face it that most people believe their newborn baby is the most adorable ever, yet many of us would suggest that it has to be the first baby they had ever seen

vette9.jpg

Fiberglass is easy.

Get the shape you want and let it cure.

Don't step on the running boards.

I have been involved with Corvettes for a few decades and owned many. I am still quite active over at corvetteforum as well. That being said, the customs are generally frowned upon these days, with two exceptions. The Vettewagon like 31caddy had was a pretty tastefully done custom in its day and is re-garnering a following among collectors today. If reasonably complete examples can be found, they usually sell pretty quickly. I usually prefer stock examples of any year Corvette but I would buy a Vettewagon in a heartbeat if the right one popped up. The only other custom that continues to hold a following is the Mako Shark. When done properly it can be a pretty sharp looking custom. Unfortunately 99% of the others turn out like the OP's pictures at the beginning of this thread.

17 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I have been involved with Corvettes for a few decades and owned many. I am still quite active over at corvetteforum as well. That being said, the customs are generally frowned upon these days, with two exceptions. The Vettewagon like 31caddy had was a pretty tastefully done custom in its day and is re-garnering a following among collectors today. If reasonably complete examples can be found, they usually sell pretty quickly. I usually prefer stock examples of any year Corvette but I would buy a Vettewagon in a heartbeat if the right one popped up. The only other custom that continues to hold a following is the Mako Shark. When done properly it can be a pretty sharp looking custom. Unfortunately 99% of the others turn out like the OP's pictures at the beginning of this thread.

Sometimes the baby doesn't look like ma or pa, and gets picked on as a kid unmercifully.

ugly corvette.jpg

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 1