ski.dive

How difficult is it to Replace subframe/body mounts on a Reatta? how much would it cost to have a mechanic do it?

How difficult is it to Replace subframe/body mounts on a Reatta?

how much would it cost to have a mechanic do it?

I did the 6 front cradle bushings a few months ago....i found the parts by searching the Reatta Owners Journal forums for the part info checklist instructions and availability.  Purchased the parts and gave to my mechanic.  He charged $400 for the labor.  Dont recall now but parts were under $100.  Just did ball joints and front control arm bushings last week.  Car is now supersolid.

Here are the parts you will need.  Dorman 924-005 Subframe Cradle Mounts 

These cradle mounts are not a direct replacement for the OEM cradle mounts. They are the best replacements we have found.  The bolts that come with the Dorman 924-005 Subframe Mounts will not work on the Buick Reatta. New bolts must be purchased separately. You will need six mounts to replace all the cradle mounts.

Here are instructions for installing them Engine Cradle/Sub-Frame Bushing Replacement

$400 sounds reasonable for the labor to install all the cradle mounts. If the car is really rusty the price could be higher.

When I had mine replaced on my '92 Riviera (same setup as our Reatta's) back in 2014, the bill came to just over $600 parts & labor.  The price included two "extra effort/difficult to remove" mount bolts that snapped.

I sprayed the PB Blaster for a week before I did mine. I'm sure it helped but I did run into an issue. When I was trying to get the rear bolts out they snapped off. I ended up cutting a small hole in the inner fender to get access to the captive nuts inside. I pulled the old nut out then used a regular nut and washer inside when I re-assembled. Then I made the piece I cut out (for access) so it could be removed in the future should it be necessary. If your mechanic runs into that sort of issue he may charge you a little more for the job.

• Like 1

Wow, those are crazy low prices, My mechanic said with parts and labor new subframe mounts would be right at $950, and that just is NOT worth it to me, I will stick to my PB blaster, I have noticed a small squeak, and my mechanic suspected it was the subframe mounts or the strut mounts, but I'm am going to be the cheap guy I am and just replace the front struts plus the strut mounts and just leave the subframe alone.

Check the front sway bar bushings. That would give you a squeek as well. They are a cheap repair.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

The front cradle mounts are very easy to change. I just junked out a southern rust free car that had nice mounts. I took them out before sending the car to the crusher. I simply put my floor jack under the middle of the front, removed the #15 bolts and then lowered the cradle and removed the mounts. I  then put a bolt with a big washer in place so the cradle would stay in place to get it on my trailer. Did the same on the rear mounts. The whole process for all 6 mounts took less that a half hour.

I now have 5 good used mounts available for anyone needing some.

Jim

• Like 1