cxgvd

They both run with a Marvel and a Schebler,

Winter finally called surrender in the mid west and I am the luckiest SOB in Ontario.  The first day temperatures reached warm my furnace quit, just needed a new igniter but if it was January it could have been serious.  Next my 1913 Buick's engine started on the second pull which is not surprising except I had installed a Schebler Model O carburetor I refurbished.  I lightly powder blasted it, cut new gaskets and fitted it with a new float made by Gregg Lange.  The engine was running lean so I turned out the needle valve and it smoothed right out, however upon acceleration it would backfire again so I turned out the adjustment a bit richer and then my wife and I drove the car around the neighborhood.  Wow, easy, hundred year old vehicle with finally the proper carb.

Feeling pretty cocky now, I pressed on with the first start of the 1915 McLaughlin.  Well, long story longer it too started.  Not good but enough to pump oil to the sight gauge, heat up the paint on the exhaust manifold and listen for any weird noises.  Nearly three years into the restoration I can now press on with finishing the job this summer.  Top picture is the fuel side of the 1913 then the ignition side of the McLaughlin.  Regards, Mr Lucky

DSC_4393.JPG

DSC_4396.JPG

• Like 10

Mr Lucky, 

Good to here your 1913 is running   well.  I don,t have a carburetor for my 1912  201 cu in  engine .  There was a Model O  Schebler  on Ebay a while back,  but as it was in poor condition I did not bid on it which I regret as it is the only Model O I have seen for sale.   Plenty of Model R,s.  What model Marvel is suitable for the 201 engine.  Can you post some pics.

Rod 

I have two used model R's I planned to refurbish but the spread of the bolt holes to the intake are too wide, the Model O is smaller and it is the carby I received when I bought the car. Also the Model L would be good but I have never seen one except in books.   Don't know which Marvel would work for the 201 engine, the Marvel I mentioned is on the 165 engine in the McLaughlin C 25.  In the past for the '13 201 engine I have run a Model A Ford, which I personally did not have success with and mostly I ran an Air Friction aluminium carby which I think I wore out because sometimes it has left me sitting.  Both the Schebler and Marvel have Gregg Lange's modern material floats inside  If I was to try to use the Model R I would get some brass threaded rod, fill the existing holes, solder them in, bore out the correct holes and re tap.  I think the R is a good choice in this application because it is well known and widely used by many different makes of cars.  Best of luck Rod, I trust this helps you.  Gary

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ROD W said:

Mr Lucky, 

Good to here your 1913 is running   well.  I don,t have a carburetor for my 1912  201 cu in  engine .  There was a Model O  Schebler  on Ebay a while back,  but as it was in poor condition I did not bid on it which I regret as it is the only Model O I have seen for sale.   Plenty of Model R,s.  What model Marvel is suitable for the 201 engine.  Can you post some pics.

Rod 

Rod,

You only need the Schebler if your 1912 is a show car.  I run a Carter BB1 on my 13 Model 31 Buick and I have seen others run new Zenith carbs.  The Zenith Model 267 would work well for you engine size.

http://www.zenithfuelsystems.com/updraft_267.htm

• Like 3

Dear mr Lucky,

I am currently working on a Schebler model O carburetor.

It belongs to a Buick 30 31.

I see that you have the same car and model carb.

Do you have any diagrams,manuals or drawings of the model O?

All we can find are other models of Schebler/Marvel carburetors.

Looking forward hearing from you,

Sincerely,

DJV

Located in the Netherlands

If you run across anything printed on the Schebler model O, I would love to see it!

The model O seems to be one of the "red-headed step children" of Schebler. My records show it was used only in 1913; AND 1914 CATALOGUES SHOW A REPLACEMENT CARBURETOR!

Unfortunately, while I have a 1912 catalogue and a 1914 catalogue; I do not have one from 1913.

Jon.

Dear carbking and Rod, 

Thank you for the quick response. 

I have posted some photos below. 

At some point it is marked 'pat oct

14 02'.

I believe this is a patent dated on October 2nd 1914.

Regards,

Derk 

IMG_20191127_140723.jpg

IMG_20191127_140140.jpg