storing a 65 cougar

i am buying my first car, and i am looking at a 1965 cougar coupe. my only problem is where to store it during the winter. I have no where to store it indoors, and was wondering what the best way to store it under covers, or on blocks.

Yes, make every effort to keep the car indoors or at least under a car port. Open outside storage will ruin a imobile older car in short order. The biggest problem is that water sits in the same place for a extended period of time. When a car is driven, the water is sloshed around and drains out.

Another consideration is that this is a old car, and some decay has occured. Careful storage will extend the life of the car.

I don't care too much for early Mustangs, mostly because everyone has one. I do like the early Cougar because it is rather uncommon and looks great. Too bad so many people over look this car.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, these are a neat, distinctive car I have been expecting to see more interest in for years. As stated, indoor storage is the way, outdoor is not good. If you must be outside, I would probably avoid a car cover as I think it would trap moisture. I would also park on pavement if possible, as parking on dirt or grass will cause moisture underneath and these cars are rust prone anyway. Best wishes, Todd C

Guest c.johnson

I agree with the rust. My first car was a '68 Cougar. Rust on the quarter panel just behind the rear wheel is a real problem. I think most of the moisture comes from inside the trunk, make sure the seal on the trunk is in good shape to avoid some of the problem.

Early Cougars are beautiful cars. Good luck!!

cj