Sign in to follow this  
jan arnett (2)

Spicer U Joint cover

Need a U Joint cover for my 1923 Moon.  There are two different covers on the drive shaft and I need the one in the photo.  I don't know if the other end will work.  

IMG_3593.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

You may want to try calling the marketing division at Dana. Obviously its a long out of production part but someone there may know of an old former employee or customer that makes or has replacement parts. Or maybe a really good metal fabrication shop.

They were made in different sizes to cover the various size U joints. Everything from small cars to large trucks. And probably industrial shafting as well.  It would probably possible to make something that will work. The precise shape is not that important except for the flange where the bolts go. They just retain grease and keep dirt out of the joint. They are most likely the same at both ends of the shaft. Some vehicles used a fabric joint at the front end  of the driveshaft and a Spicer at the rear location. Others used the Spicer at both ends.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Thank you for your suggestion.  I know my Dodge has fabric covered  joints.  To get it back together until I find one I am going to a fit a modern boot.

Thanks

Jan

I have a drive shaft with two of those U-joints from a 1928 Studebaker Commander.  The covers are still good, and many other parts.  The question, as raised in posts above:  is it the same size?  I converted the driveshaft to modern Spicer joints and a new driveshaft.  The adapter I made for the rear axle flange had 6 bolt holes for 5/16 bolts on a 4.438 bolt circle diameter.  These are the holes for the cover, as well.  If it fits your car, I can send you the covers - you pay postage.   I never did figure out how to get the U-joint apart.

587321355_spiceru-joint1928GBW.thumb.jpg.1f18c6490f4ceed729c2090cf4c1b7c5.jpg

Spicer_2-2-459_with_adapter.jpg

driveshaft-rear_flange.jpg

25 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

I have a drive shaft with two of those U-joints from a 1928 Studebaker Commander.  The covers are still good, and many other parts.  The question, as raised in posts above:  is it the same size?  I converted the driveshaft to modern Spicer joints and a new driveshaft.  The adapter I made for the rear axle flange had 6 bolt holes for 5/16 bolts on a 4.438 bolt circle diameter.  These are the holes for the cover, as well.  If it fits your car, I can send you the covers - you pay postage.   I never did figure out how to get the U-joint apart.

587321355_spiceru-joint1928GBW.thumb.jpg.1f18c6490f4ceed729c2090cf4c1b7c5.jpg

Spicer_2-2-459_with_adapter.jpg

driveshaft-rear_flange.jpg

Is it my imagination or is that top circlip on your new u-joint not quite seated and not flat?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I am seeing that too. Make sure those clips are seated all the way. I would hate to see someone get hurt and or the car.

• Like 1

Jan,

kissel cars from 1918-1924 used these identical spicer drives. I have eight spare driveshafts with two different kinds of shells and seals -  some with springs like yours and some that thread on. If you post some diameters and dimension , I can tell if these are the same. I’ll never use all of these. I have eight disassembled kissel parts cars From this era.

ron Hausmann P.E.

375F5D7B-7616-4FEE-914F-0AD6AC087953.jpeg

Sir - here are pictures of Kissel spicer drive shaft covers that I have. The restored one has dimension of 5”. The ones on the pile are unrestored and are 4 1/2” diameter that you need. My spares have the spring loaded stoppers.

let me know if you are interested.

thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

313-510-8463

5DF65532-27A0-432D-88FE-423E670A77D0.jpeg

05459BD7-5FC6-442F-9F3A-FF114229ACF4.jpeg

8D2919F9-7139-4AFE-B70C-C7FEE53B37A6.jpeg

Ron/Gary:

Thank you for your offer.  Either of your covers would work as they are of the right dimension and design   Since I only need one cover, Gary would you please send me a PM.  

I have followed both of your work and you do fantastic work.

Jan 

IMG_4023.JPG