I’m back!

Rogillio

So about a year ago I sold my 1926 DB Coupe....and have regretted it ever since.  Someone  here had advised just parking it and leave it by for a while.  Good advice that I did not take. 

Was cleaning out my vm and came across the message from the guy who bought it.  On a whim I called him.  I asked him if he was still enjoying the car. He said his health was failing and he has not driven it much and, coincidently was considering selling it. 

Bottom line one is I sold it to him for $7500, he had the carb and starter rebuilt and put new battery in and agreed to sell to sell back to me for $7000.  It is not running. But I’m not concerned.  I pick it up Friday!  Very excited. I put my heart and soul into that car and nearly cried when she left...ok I will admit, I actually did get watery eyed....even if you thought think I’m a pus.  I spend 2 years working on that car and it meant a lot to me. 

Anyway, pick it up Friday and am so excited!  

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is too awesome that you got it back! I felt your pain when you said you were going to sell it. I will admit that I cried when I gave up my 1967 Dodge A100 pickup (nicknamed Gumby for the big eyes and originally turquoise paint) that I had for 23 years....I guess that makes me a puss, too....

994873_10200976282108229_562572641_n.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hell, I cried when I got my 32DL back after 45 years.  First car I ever owned.  Bought it in 1965 and sold it to a buddy in 1967 - forced to sell by my dad.  Cried when I sold it, too.  Luckily, my buddy kept it all those years.  Pardon me while I break down. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Machinist_Bill said:

From what I remember you had 2 coupes?  Glad to see you back!

I have NEVER cried about my cars! 

(I kept all of them........)

I did.  I sold them both.  I don't miss the second one I bought.  I love the wooden spoke on the one I'm buying back.  The other one had steel rims.  I also did a lot more work on the one I'm getting back....and she was my first love.  :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R.White said:

This afternoon I have been taking photos for the adverts.  It looks like I will be selling my '26 touring after six years of slog to get it into a decent condition.  I must be mad.

Ray.  

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

She’s beautiful.  You missed the whole point of this thread. :-)  Don’t do it, you will regret it!

Someone here told me to park it and forget about it for a while.  Who was it that told me that?   It was good advise and I ignored it.  Picking my car up tomorrow now and am so looking forward to getting her back.  

• Like 1

Good points there Guys.  I am sure I will regret selling especially as I don't have to sell but the constant drip, drip, drip of negative comments from my wife about the car is getting to me.  She just doesn't get the old car thing ( she always buys new) and doesn't seem to give me credit for having any ability at all. I am also constantly being reminded that restoring an American car costs twice as much as a British one due to the high cost of shipping.  The only compromise I can offer is to buy a car which we could both enjoy.  One such is an MG TC.  The cost is high and they don't offer very good value for money - although they do admittedly hold their price - a bit like Morgan - but if they are to perform like a sports car they need to be supercharged so perhaps that is an area where I might find some satisfaction.

http://www.stevebakermg.co.uk/mg-tc-for-sale

The last time I was bullied into selling a cherished car was when I parted with my  1973 Triumph GT6 after 36 years of ownership.  I really missed the car for a while.  The feelings are a bit like loosing a pet but you get over it although things remind you from time to time.

Well done Rogillio for getting your car back again.  I am having second thoughts too!

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

My wife has horses.  That is her hobby and cost a lot of money....whether she is riding them or not.  At least with a car, it doesn't have to be fed every day and is happy just to sit in my shop.  We decided long ago that we are different people and have different interests and that is ok. 

Just now, keiser31 said:

That MGTC is a BEAUTY!

I agree.  If I make a change it needs to be something better than average.  My much missed Dad was an authority on these cars and I know he would have approved.  I also know I can trust Steve Baker ( the dealer ) who is a much respected, knowledgeable and honest MG guy.  You should see the supercharger that has been developed for the MG TC...  it is a work of art in it's own right. !! It is the answer to keeping up with the traffic these days and is easy to fit but obviously the crankshaft and rods need to be in good condition.   The car I linked to is expensive - no doubt about it - but not excessively so compared to some.  The alternative would be to take on a rebuild and bring it up to concours standard but that might actually cost more!.  You can get new Ash frames and just about all the parts are available for this model.  Older, patinated cars can be found but somehow the TC does not age very well in my opinion.  I know you have a soft spot for MGs (I remember you talking about your MGA) so if I do part with the Dodge and go for one, I hope I have your approval.

Ray.

10 hours ago, R.White said:

Haha, I thought you were going to say KEEP the car and DITCH the wife.;):D

Ray. 

Ray.......it DID dawn on me........ :P

I'm a lucky man.

My wife NEVER, not once, questioned anything I bought be it tractors or cars.

Good thing she didn't because I turned ONE tractor into a new house so there's that....... :D

She is home again!  It would not start when I got there.  He wanted to do the ‘paperwork’ first so I said ok.  He was prolly worried I’d back out.  No way!  I checked the oil and water first, then turned ignition on. I had converted to 12v and added a 12v fuel pump bypassing the vacuum tank fuel ‘pump’.  When I turned on the ignition the fuel pump was not working.  So I went to Oriellys and bought a fuel pump.  Cha-chin!  Only owned it 12 minutes and already spent $70 on her. LOL. I swapped it out and she fired up.   Then died.  Repeated a few times.  Gas smells like turpentine so will be dumping the gas.  After several attempts the battery was going dead.  So we jumped it off but she kept dieing.  After about 8 times of getting it running and dying I looked back and saw the seller was disconnecting the jumper cables right after it started.   I told him the car does not have an alternator and the generator is disconnected (as part of my 12v conversion).  I told him to leave the jumper cables on for a while.  It started and ran fine!  After a few minutes I disconnected the jumpers and was able to drive it on to my trailer. I was very proud of myself!  I still don’t know much about mechanicing but I know this car!  I know al, the flaws in my restoration and I know what improvements I can make. My biggest challenge will be to take my time and do a little at a time.  I am resisting calling Myers and ordering a dozen things I know she needs.  He had Myers rebuild the carb and the starter.  Wasted money imo. I had rebuilt that carb.  It leaked a little but I think that was because of the electric fuel pump pushing too much fuel. This time I got a pump that only puts out 2.5 to 3 psi.  That should help.  There was nothing wrong with the starter except so one has fashioned a tin can for the back plate.  Looked amature but it worked fine.  I kinda like the ‘fix it myself’ work ethic of that era.  The plate was $200 and could not justify buying one.  Evidently he did so I have a freshly painted ‘new’ starter. Anxious to resume the restoration. 

A7C7CBBB-43AD-4BA0-A3AB-63A31454E25F.jpeg

• Like 4

It's great that you got your car back.  Ray, I'm sorry that you'll be selling but an MG TC will be a nice consolation.  The economics of having to order most things overseas is a significant extra burden and most of us do need to watch the old car hobby budget.  Good luck with the sale!  Your car certainly shows well.

9 hours ago, Rogillio said:

I kinda like the ‘fix it myself’ work ethic of that era.  The plate was $200 and could not justify buying one.  Evidently he did so I have a freshly painted ‘new’ starter. Anxious to resume the restoration. 

I have had my DB 1929 my whole life. Me and my grand pa rebuilt it together   . he gave it to me when I was 13 birthday present I have driven it a lot  . I did sale it once to my mom wile I was going to collage and bought it back years later . I know what you mean . I later sold my 7 year build 1929 ford and was sorry for it sale  be fore it left my house wish I could have that one back  - kyle .

PS  park it out back don't get rid of it . 

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday morning in the shop. The hinges I ordered from Myers, $70, cha-ching.  Car restoration ain’t cheap. I had to make one of the brackets out of al old license plate. The straps I made from a leather belt. Took a few hours but keeps the doors from opening too far and stressing the hinges. 

E168AFD4-0A9F-496C-B6C5-4F714881E9E9.thumb.jpeg.998323b9f7add293e1ca13549ec801d5.jpegC1E15CDF-E235-4BC2-B7F4-10374AC5FCFC.thumb.jpeg.2f083d83f563a520776a42cbcf7e50d6.jpegC0E3AD46-CF9C-4303-8D59-FF721CCA4040.thumb.jpeg.451faca4d8b97efdc9e2b85ca6fbdcd2.jpegD2A67B94-4CEF-4BC4-B6B9-D1828599B3C5.thumb.jpeg.cc3de5e6e69b21a0b035dc736239fb88.jpeg5FB1D06A-124A-4D24-8A08-1EC1748DDD82.thumb.jpeg.2d460bd100d1a5f53c34effa1e3042a7.jpeg32349D5C-1131-405F-BF3D-F13BA24F9F29.thumb.jpeg.730ad5c32c413116a3227f9ee1d0fb0d.jpeg

4F71EF80-3607-4863-8E80-C983119FE049.jpeg

F27D8783-48CE-4E32-9018-9282B237E27A.jpeg