Midnight Cruiser

How many 16V's are still operational?

I was wondering how many 16V's are still operational.  Let's use the "Like" button on this page to do a poll.  If you have a 16V, and it is still operational, please click the "Like" button below.  It should be interesting to see the result!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 16

Reaper:  I think that is a judgement call for you to make, depending on how close it is to operational.

Garnet:  Thanks for the insight and for keeping the VIN file up-to-date.  I did not realize that there is a very recent update available until your comment made me look for it.  By the way, I have one entry to add:  

202220 1989       Royal Cabernet  Ginger   Tan

DOHC

This is not the perfect way of voting, but it may be sufficient with some adjustment at the end for people who own multiple 16V's, etc.  I discovered that I can't vote on my own post, so we will have to adjust for that as well.  But let's give it a try - the results may be illuminating.

There's way more than that. I know of at least 3 more that haven't responded to this thread and may not be on here.

I know of 8 more than are in the VIN Table but they don't wish  to enter their information or don't access the AACA Forum.  These 8 are mostly in the south eastern United States.

So it looks like the total right now stands at 20 (5 “likes”, 3 more for multi-car owners, 1 for my car, 3 additional reported by Reaper, 8 additional reported by Garnet).  That makes the 16V quite rare.

As a matter of background, I bought my 1989 16V new.  She is still in nearly-new condition after 22,400 miles.  The only repairs I have had to make were to replace the radio and one tire.  I have used her mostly to joyride on the Blue Ridge Parkway with the top down, and to take her to shows.  There were never any recalls.  I am sure that I will be able to sell her for more than I paid for her new, and the longer I keep her, the more valuable she will be.  This is an amazingly good car – after almost 30 years of ownership: no depreciation, almost no repair costs, still beautiful, still fun as hell to drive, now rare, and the most comfortable and reliable car that Maserati ever made.  But of course I am still in love …

• Like 3

Hey Midnight Cruiser, good question and funny that you have 202220 I just purchased 202221 and it matches yours, my car was first purchased in Seattle Washington and has stayed local it has 55000 miles and runs perfectly. This is number 3 TCs for me. keep counting i am very interested in all the running 16V's.

Silvertree:

Good to hear from you and congratulations on your purchase.  It's interesting that the two cars have sequential VINs and match.  My car just won a trophy at a local car show over the weekend!

My car is in Columbia, SC, so I doubt the two will get to meet.

Edited by Midnight Cruiser
typo correction, additional info (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Silvertree said:

Hey Midnight Cruiser, good question and funny that you have 202220 I just purchased 202221 and it matches yours, my car was first purchased in Seattle Washington and has stayed local it has 55000 miles and runs perfectly. This is number 3 TCs for me. keep counting i am very interested in all the running 16V's.

Well, that officially makes the closest two VIN's! LOL Can't get any closer than that!

Silvertree...I see you say you're in Seattle? Have any interest in meeting up with a fellow TC owner sometime?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silvertree said:

are you located in Everett? I live in McCleary {on the way to Ocean Shores}

Yes, I'm in Everett. Going to PM you...

Is there any way to glean thru the various states DMV files to locate how many are left?  Searching for the particular year or engine code?

There is one on ebay for sale that is running, #204067, add that one to the list..........

Mine is on the list.  Bought in 1989 in New Jersey.  It's been in Walnut Creek, CA since 1999.  Replaced the clutch last fall. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 3:15 PM, Reaper1 said:

There's way more than that. I know of at least 3 more that haven't responded to this thread and may not be on here.

Hi there everyone, I read this thread and decided to create an account for the 16V in my family.  I believed my father purchased this car in 2015, 19,900 original miles currently, Cabernet/Bordeaux, just to clarify all of 500, (501?) these cars came with the getrad 5spd correct?  Car resides in Western NY currently, originally sold in California.

• Like 1

If the car came with the 16V engine, then the only transmission it could come with was the manual Getrag. :)