1930 Sedan Tire Pressure

I have had various and conflicting advice about the correct tire pressure for my 1930 Chrysler Model 77.  The tires on it are Firestone whitewalls 5.50 - 18, and the only other marking on the tires is "Gum Dipped."  There is no pressure recommendation.  I have been running them at 32 pounds.  I would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

It rained like nobody's business in the Boston area today (all over the Marathon runners) but that means the salt is washed off the New England roads.  My car will have its first limber-up, and shake down run of the season next Wednesday.  The 2018 car season is beginning  in the U.S. Northeast.  Hooray!

John Losch

I have played around with pressures on the 33x5 Lesters on my 1924 Cadillac, 7.00x21 Lesters on my 1927 Cadillac. All tires are nominal 36 psi balloons. As have others, I found 40 front, and 36 rear optimal. I have never seen such consensus as this on the forums!  - Carl 

Thanks to all for the tire pressure information. We had the first shakedown run of the Caponemobile today, a little over five miles, and I think I will lower the front tire  pressure a little from forty pounds until the winter pot holes are filled.  I am not sure those eighty-eight year old wood wheels enjoy that kind of pounding even at thirty mph or less.  The wheels are in excellent shape, well varnished, and seem to show no play when elevated, and shaken left to right.   Tires are expensive, but they are cheaper than repairs to or replacement of wood wheels.  Am I being overly cautious, or practical?  

Otherwise, first ride for this year; what a great feeling!

John Losch

You are being VERY practical, John. Tires are the TUNABLE part of your suspension. One aspect of running higher pressure front, is that this reduces steering effort somewhat. For the slow driving on rough roads you describe, lowering tire pressure on front AND rear is advisable. Remember, the greatest loads on your spokes, particularly on the front wheels, will be during braking. Here's wishing you safe, trouble free motoring this driving season you are fortunate to have started ! Try out the higher pressures on the good roads when you can get your cruising speed up!   -  Carl 

• 3 weeks later...

My car uses 700x18 "6 ply" tires. These are basically truck tires and correct for the car and unfortunately balancing is always an issue. I'd like to know what you think of the balance beads, how they are installed when using a tube  and if you can recommend a brand or say where you got them.

Thanks, Steve

Loose beads inside a tire to balance it? Sounds like hocus-pocus to me. I would be very interested in seeing a test of an out of balance tire with beads in it on a balancing machine.

Show me the science!

None of the outfits selling these do. I wonder why that is?

Web search DynaBeads to see how they work. I'm happy with the way they worked in my 550-18 tires. We removed the valve stem in the tube and installed them thru a plastic tube out of a bottle per the mfg. instructions. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. If you static balance a tire, it can still be out of balance dynamically Where I worked we balanced flywheels up to over 20,000 lbs. on a dynamic balancer, eliminated wobble, vibration and bearings lasted a lot longer.