'48 Packard value

Lahti35

So in my search for a summer car I ran across this Packard pictured below...

I've owned several old cars: a REO, some falcons, a 40's Plymouth, 1960 SAAB... sort of an mix really, whatever caught my eye. This Packard is just the kind of old car I like... original owner, documentation up the ying yang, spare parts etc... well cared for since day one. Its got a straight eight and reports to drive great but need a new paint job to be "show quality". Wondering what kind of $$$ a car like this would go for?

I'm wondering what these are like to own in terms of cost for upkeep, any pitfalls with the mechanicals. I read somewhere about the engine being starved for oil due to a small oil hole in the design?

00707_qaoVGt6Vzu_600x450.jpg

00d0d_9S57Ltw1jr5_600x450.jpg

00V0V_zSf7rH7qOk_600x450.jpg

00909_fA9SuPE66qR_600x450.jpg

00D0D_8559ACtuQYZ_600x450.jpg

Looks to good to repaint.  If the paint is original,  it would probably have a negative effect on the value if you repainted it.

In general I dont think they are a valuable car in terms of Dollars on the open market. 

This being what looks like very original and possibly a real survivor,  should have added value over a "restored" or prettied up car. 

I've seen a pretty clean looking one,  shiny paint and decent chrome,  though I'm sure not this nice in person for 6500 on a local craigslist.  I would think if you like it and it doesn't need major work in any way,  that 10G or less would be a good buy.  You couldn't begin to buy one in lesser shape and make it this nice without spending a pile of money.  

So the big question ,is what are they asking for it?

• Like 1

I only thought original paint because the door jambs looks awful clean.  I can't imagine someone would have spent the money on this to have a really thurough paint job in the past. Possible but usually unlikely.  

I do agree that if you go to sell it,  unless it's a really good survivor and marketed as such,  will be a slow seller.  Not many buyers lining up for this type of Packard. 

It's still an interesting car in what looks like very nice original condition. 

Still curious what the asking is on it? 

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I only thought original paint because the door jambs looks awful clean.  I can't imagine someone would have spent the money on this to have a really thurough paint job in the past. Possible but usually unlikely.  

I do agree that if you go to sell it,  unless it's a really good survivor and marketed as such,  will be a slow seller.  Not many buyers lining up for this type of Packard. 

It's still an interesting car in what looks like very nice original condition. 

Still curious what the asking is on it? 

The seller is asking 12k OBO. It comes with a "pickup load" of NOS/NORS parts, another complete chassis as well as body parts.... which make me wonder about a restoration vs survivor status... supposedly in the same family since new with receipts for all work going back to '48 and vintage photo's of the car from back in the day.

The door jambs raised my eyebrow also... I was looking for the typical overspray/masking lines for a repaint.

The car has been for sale for awhile now. The seller states it comes with paperwork from a professional appraisal... probably not helping the sale if that value is for insurance purposes. 

I was close to buying one of these bathtub Packard's a few years ago but the seller wanted top dollar for what was an "OK" car, I felt I could do better... maybe I will with this one....

I think that 12K for a Packard 22nd series Deluxe Eight is high.  The Packard bathtubs are not the most popular Packard models out there.  Of course there are those who do really appreciate them (ask the man who owns 2 :)).  The 288 straight eight is pretty much a bullet-proof easy to work on engine.  The only oiling problems I'm aware of were with the new for '55 V8's.

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

Edited by JD in KC
adding photos (see edit history)

I would agree with a convertible but that will be in the mid 20's and not quite in the shape the sedan appears.  I always spend the extra when I buy to get the most desireabe version,  but I don't usually start with a 4 door then upgrade to a convertible.   That's a big step.

If you look at it and it really does make you zing I would say offer him 8 If he says no, tell him he can keep the parts,  as long as it doesn't need them and see if that does it.  Alot of those parts are valuable until you try to sell them.  So the owner will see the value as in what they spent and what they thought they had to spend to buy them.  They probably figure they have a couple thousand in extras.  

It's all up to what you want.  If you like one of these,  then though they aren't real desirable,  there aren't alot of them around in the condition this appears to be in.  If they will consider the 8,000 or whatever number you would like to buy it for,  think what else you could buy for 8,000 that you would like better.

I do that when I'm pricing a car.  If I'm going to sell something to buy something else,  I price it so I could atleast buy the same type of car with what I'm trying to get out of it,  maybe with a very slight reduction,  to make it seam like just a little bit of a deal for a faster sale. 

It's hard to even find say a 50 ford 4 door sedan in decent shape or similar Chevy for much under 10. 

It's your money,  you will know if it seems like a deal.  I know an all original car will give you a whole different vibe when you look at it,  and often cause you to up the anty a bit because you know the crappy ones that are a little less will never be what a true survivor is.  Not sure about this one,  But again,  the lack of paint on any of the door hardware and rubbers which look aged and not fresh,  Plus the super clean dash and very nice door panels make me lean toward survivor.  Other than the head having been off (probably for a valve job) and some fresh paint on the  air cleaner the paint on that engine and accessories look like they may be original even. 

If you like it and it's close enough to look at,  I would take a look and see, what the story is.  You could even Make a deal with the parts if you think the value is there and possibly recoup the difference on some of the parts,  if the NOS parts are shiny bits.  NOS chrome sells decent,  even for these.  The other NOS and NORS mechanical related parts will have little value except maybe to a new owner to keep it going,  though I doubt it will need alot if it's in good working order now. 

I may go check it out... the sellers seem very attached to it and may have let the heartstrings do the pricing. I'm not dying to have one of these, I actually prefer the 4 door to the 2 door... a convertible is out of the budget. If it doesn't work out, no big deal... lots of cars for sale out there.

Interesting point on the parts... I suppose a pile of parts for a car that's not in demand might be more trouble hauling home than they're worth, not to mention not recovering the cost if purchased with the car bumping up the price. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the advice!

Wind Wings / Deflectors attached to the "B" pillar above/behind the front seat in Image 21 of 23?

Neat idea to block the draft to back seat passengers?

Are these an aftermarket item?

Cuold they be factory accessory or authorized?

On 4/26/2018 at 8:52 AM, Bleach said:

Is it me or are some of the other Packards in the following photos longer than the car in the OP?  48 Packards came in three different wheelbases right?

It's not you.  120" the OP's car, 127" the two I posted, and 141" 7 passenger.

• Thanks 1