Ohioslingshot

60 Chrysler Windsor pulley

My Windsor has  a 3 belt solid cast pulley under the generator which acts as an idler pulley. The bearing is bad in the 

pulley, is this a press in bearing and if so who may be able to tell me where to take it to have replaced. I'm in the Toledo, Ohio area

Thanks,

John

Not familiar with the model but most of those idler pulleys use a standard ball bearing. At least all the ones I have taken apart. If you can get the bearing out you should be able to get a replacement at any bearing shop for $10 bucks. Any real mechanic can do this but where you find a real mechanic anymore, I don't know. They seem to have gone to join the Dodo birds.

Try taking the pulley off, cleaning it up, and taking it to the bearing shop. They are sure to have some good suggestions. There are bearing shops in the industrial section of every city. Look in the yellow pages.

The 56 hemi engine uses an ldler pully with a non replaceable ball bearing. The bearing is roll crimped ln place and if it goes bad the entire pully is replaced. If yours is similar replacing the bearing is possible with a bit of lathe work. I've done several for myself and friends.  The roll crimp must be turned off. The bearing is pulled. Then the pulley is counterbored and a thin sleeve brazed in place. A new bearing pressed in place and the new sleeve rolled over to replace the cut off crimp and lock the new bearing in place.  A time consuming but fun job. ........bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Crude guy that I am, and not having a lathe, I would probably cut or grind off the crimp and Loctite a new bearing in place. Then grease it with synthetic grease and be confident it will out last the car. I have replaced these idlers on cars for which new idlers are available. The bearings come with NO grease, just a couple of drops of oil. It is a wonder they last as long as they do.