Identify 3-speed manual transmission, e-brake on the rear

G-son

Hello! I was directed here at the guys at the H.A.M.B, suggesting you are the right guys to ask about this. From what I've seen so far, it looks like they may be right!

A relative got hold of this transmission the other day. Appears to be a 3-speed. Was told it's american, possibly mopar, but I got the impression that was mostly guessing. I've googled the casting numbers, and found absolutely nothing. Without something more to go on, I'm kind of stuck.

DSC04723.JPG

DSC04724.JPG

DSC04725.JPG

DSC04727.JPG

DSC04728.JPG

DSC04729.JPG

Rather small, and it was common to have a driveshaft e brake on cars. Looks like it’s from 27-30, Pierce, Stutz, Reo, and many others used a similar setup. Reguardless of what it fits, the value is not very high. 

Not for sure, but would guess at 30's, 40's truck, possibly IHC, Kb1 they used the brake on the rear of the transmission, also  had the lever for the brake next to the shift lever. I have a 51 IHC with  trans brake but trans is bigger and brake linkage different, brake lever is to the left of driver. The earlier transmissions were not the same as far as i know. Did the early Ford and Chevy trucks have the same type brake?

Paul.

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Reguardless of what it fits, the value is not very high. 

Unless you need one and it's the only one you can find, at least that's how it seems to work when I'm the guy looking for something!

3 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Unless you need one and it's the only one you can find, at least that's how it seems to work when I'm the guy looking for something!

Just a general comment on MOST transmissions, but not all. And I agree, the ones I seem to need are made of gold!

Thanks for all replies! I've been searching for pictures based on everything you've suggested, but so far no luck. That probably doesn't mean you're wrong, just that I haven't found the right picture yet. :P

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Supply and demand! When you want one there's a demand, and the price goes up. When you try to sell one the supply is bigger than demand, and price plummets. Always seems to go that way!

One thing you should check. Pull the top cover and shift mechanism off. I can't think how to describe it? But you should be able to tell whether the transmission has synchromesh on some or all gears. Also look to see whether the gear teeth are square cut or some other helical type cut. This all can tell you whether the transmission is mid '20s or somewhere in the '30s. Cadillac was first with sychromesh  (in 1929 if I recall correctly). Most other manufacturers followed suite within two years with synchromesh on all but first and reverse gears. 

That U-joint was a type used by some cars in the mid and late '20s. I don't know if they were used much later than that. My '27 Paige has a very similar looking transmission and brake, as well as that type U-joint. But, the Paige shift/top is quite different. The Paige transmission is a Warner Gear model T 68 A-1, also used by some Auburn and a few other cars of the mid '20s. They were a weak model poorly made at a time when Warner Gear was facing a take-over. It took me twenty years to find a replacement that had the parts my transmission had to have. The replacement I got had been removed from a '27 Jordan, and had a totally different shift top, and slightly different splined nose shaft. All those factors come into play if one needs to fit a transmission from a different car into theirs.  But, mostly, your transmission looks like it might be close enough to fit and use. The input shaft and its splines may or may not be a major problem when adapting a transmission. The length cannot be too short (without causing major modification issues!). If a bit too long? They usually can be shortened (a grinding post on a lathe is the best easy way), and the spline is not usually critical, as long as you can get a clutch disc that matches the new splines.

Just some considerations in case anyone is needing a transmission for some car of that era. Believe me! I was looking into all that before I finally stumbled into that Jordan transmission.

5 hours ago, robert b said:

1928 To 29 Dodge Brothers 128, fast four and Standard Six And Victory Six and some Senior Six cars,.

I have about 25 of them in all conduitions and have used them in Dodge Brothers cars for the past 40 years 

I believe we have a winner! Thanks, to all of you! :wub:

I found this 128 advertised with lots of pictures, the interior shows a brake lever and gear stick that matches in shape and style as far as I can tell, and more importantly, the third photo from the end shows the gearbox from the lower right and everything seems to match.
https://inventory.chicagocarclub.com/vehicles/132/1928-dodge-brothers-128

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Curious to know if anyone might know if the Dodge / Plymouth transmission for 1928 would also work in the Chrysler Model 52? 

On a second note I’m looking for spare parts to repair the transmission in my ‘28 Chrysler. If anyone has any leads, would be appreciated. Thanks.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:12 PM, my48ruby said:

Curious to know if anyone might know if the Dodge / Plymouth transmission for 1928 would also work in the Chrysler Model 52? 

On a second note I’m looking for spare parts to repair the transmission in my ‘28 Chrysler. If anyone has any leads, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are some possibilities:

Note I highlighted Unit and Parts. 1928 Chrysler 52 falls under Unit # 10

image.png.a0a1b1e2239d0c75de204c09ebbfd956.png

This section is #10. It is not visible on left side of page as it's hard to get the page to spread open far enough while taking a photo. However, the transmissions in section#10 and #12 (in the next photo) are interchangeable. NOTE* Watch* or pay attention to the M.D.G. (main drive gear).

image.png.c1cfbd41a096fa25a4c71a174e27f207.png

Section #12 shows some of the possible interchangeable options you may have. This is according to a 1947 Hollanders.

I believe the 30-32 Chrysler CJ6 is also a possibility according to what this is saying but I missed highlighting it for the photo.

image.png.de537820207d3dd3f55386f3923f6096.png

For those curious, I did not  write in the book. These are "snippets" of photo scans that I highlighted on my computer and posted here.

My conclusion to your question is, the transmission on topic (used in some 1928 and 1929 Dodge) is not interchangeable with your transmission. 

Hopefully this info will help you find a donor so you can repair yours.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)