buick5563

Please introduce yourself...

Hello from Pittsburgh. I am working on restoring a 1929 Buick series 58 Coupe. I will be asking you guys alot of questions. I know my way around cars fairly well but this is my dads car. it is really solid survivor but in my 33 years I've never seen it on the road. so for my dads 60th birthday I am hopefully going to get it going and cleaned up a good bit. he has no idea because he stores it at my grandfathers so i was able to steal it and get it to a shop to get it worked on and have access for me to do stuff to it as well. looking forward to picking all of your brains.  

• Like 5

Welcome to the Buick Forums @MSCHAUT . Great that you're pulling the '29 Buick Coupe out and breathing some life back into her for your dad!! To be sure you get the help you need for the '29 I'd recommend talking to the good folks down in the PreWar Division forum  HERE

Also so everyone can enjoy following, please consider sharing your story in our Me and My Buick forum  HERE    So how long before your dad's birthday?

Greetings All: My name is PAUL. I am a new member with AACA but have been viewing AACA's website for the last 15+ years without joining until a few weeks past. I am a transplant from South Carolina to Sacramento  in 1990. My Father was a B-26 Bomber navigator (Martin Marauders I think is the nickname for that Model Military airplane). After WW2 my father purchased a 1933 Buick Victoria Coupe 50 series from a retired doctor in Greenville SC. Sales price: $50.  While in SC he used that car to travel from his residence to Furman University (Greenville SC) on the GI Bill. His 4 kids (including myself) loved being driven in the old car back in the 1960s and 1970s. The 1933 Models for Buick to me look just as attractive today as back when I first was induced to them was a kid.   I have little kids (started a Family late) and have educated my kids on the history and craftsmanship of the 1930s cars including Buick.

Aside from some other non-Buick collector vehicles I have the following FOUR Buicks, all 1933 Models: 

Two  1933 Buick Model 96 Victoria Coupes with a 138 Inch wheelbase. I am told that these vehicles were the longest production Buick Coupes in Buick's 120 year history. If I am wrong someone please alert me as to which other Buick for the years 1899 to current model year production date 2019 is longer for a coupe. [CAVEAT:  I am aware that a 1933 Victoria Coupe may not technically qualify for a "coupe" under the modern definition of a "coupe". However, BUICK in the 1930s marketed the Model 96 and all other 2-door 5 passenger cars that they manufactured in Michigan as "coupes" albeit "Victoria Coupes".  I am including in the definition of a "coupe" all the examples of a "Victoria Coupe" as the name includes "coupe"]. Interestingly, with a few other manufacturers in 1933 such as AUBURN and Studebaker they called their 5-passenger 2-door vehicles "Brougham" instead of "Victoria Coupe".

QUERY: Does anyone have any thoughts on a "Victoria Coupe" coming within the definition of the word "coupe"? Or thoughts and comments as to what coupe is the longest coupe Buick ever made? 

Both of my 1933 Buick Model 96 Victoria Coupes cars come with duel sidemounts and both are unrestored.  One is is pristine condition while the other looks like it was submerged 100 times over 4 years in a vat of Mediterranean sea salt 60 years ago and then parked in a Minnesota Forrest for 20 years. I will be restoring one of the vehicles  being the rust bucket.  The 2nd unrestored vehicle (originated out of LA area) is in such great shape that I am afraid to do anything to that car as it was left in a garage in LA area for 57 years before I got it a few months past. I think I have the last two unrestored vehicles of this model 96 that survived out of only 557 units produced.

After 30 years of searching I only found two other 193 Buick Model 96's other than the two that I have. The 3rd example is parked outside in a Midwestern field. That unfortunate 3rd example was almost totally destroyed in a fire 45 + years past and had what appears to be a telephone pole that fell and crushed the body. That rusty example is missing many parts, such as hood, grill, radiator, etc.  Due to the chemical change to steel once sheet metal is exposed to extreme heat in a fire the metal in that example likely is unable to be bent back into shape. I cannot image what it would cost to get all the parts that are missing in that vehicle and turn that unfortunate example into a restored vehicle.  But assuming someone has unlimited funds then anything is possible. The only other example of a 1933 Model 96 Victoria Coupe I am aware exists was located  in a 2-page article in the October 1995 Street Rodder Magazine at pp. 77-78 showing a 1933 Buick Model 96 Purple extreme Hot Rod. Yet, that vehicle unfortunately received a  haircut with 2.5 inched being chopped off its top. That example also has a lowered frame, a 1971 Buick LaSabre 455 Engine, recessed alloy wheels, modern interior and a modern steering wheel. It also has painted headlight buckets, and a custom grill. This was an expensive Hot Rod back in 1995 and also a nice looking Hot Rod. Sadly, other than the distinctive six louvers on the hood and the long wheelbase at 138 inches one would not know it was a Buick unless you were told.   

I also have a 1933 Buick Victoria Coupe Model 86 (100% complete and unrestored), with the spare tire on the back and no sidemounts. That vehicle is one of only 758 units produced in 1933 of which only 4 are known to have survived (one of the 4 survivors being a  McLaughlin Buick in Canada with dual sidemounts and wire wheels).  The Model 86 looks longer than the Model 96 even though the wheelbase for the Model 86 is 8 inches shorter at 130 inches. I am waiting for my 1933 series 50 sedan to arrive on a recent purchase from Virginia.  Does anyone out there know of any existing Model 96 or Model 86 Buicks from the production year 1933?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BucketofBolts said:

Greetings All: My name is PAUL. I am a new member with AACA but have been viewing AACA's website for the last 15+ years without joining until a few weeks past. I am a transplant from South Carolina to Sacramento  in 1990. My Father was a B-26 Bomber navigator (Martin Marauders I think is the nickname for that Model Military airplane). After WW2 my father purchased a 1933 Buick Victoria Coupe 50 series from a retired doctor in Greenville SC. Sales price: $50.  While in SC he used that car to travel from his residence to Furman University (Greenville SC) on the GI Bill. His 4 kids (including myself) loved being driven in the old car back in the 1960s and 1970s. The 1933 Models for Buick to me look just as attractive today as back when I first was induced to them was a kid.   I have little kids (started a Family late) and have educated my kids on the history and craftsmanship of the 1930s cars including Buick.

Aside from some other non-Buick collector vehicles I have the following FOUR Buicks, all 1933 Models:

Paul :  Welcome aboard.

Are you a member of the Buick Club of America? https://www.buickclub.org/

There is a list of members & cars published every 3 or 4 years

And we like photo's.😊

The question about the definition of the word coupe.  

Similar question: Why does a chicken coupe have two doors?

If it had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan

Hello! This is Dave from Hanover Massachusetts. I am currently the proud owner of a 1961 Buick Special Sedan. I acquired this beauty from Garden City, Idaho this past August. I found it listed on the internet back in June of this year and kept my eye on it.

The '61 is in wonderful original condition. It has the 215 V8 and rides like a dream. After a 25 year hiatus I decided to get back into the Classic Car hobby with today's technology bringing so many available vintage autos at the click of a keyboard. Among my past rides are a '64 Buick Skylark Convertible, '67 Olds 442, '69 Dodge Dart GT , '71 Pontiac T-37 and my very first car from 40 years ago, a '67 Dart GT.

I'm excited to be back only unlike over a quarter of a century ago I can now share & receive news & info from countless vintage car enthusiasts. I'm a General Motors guy but love all great American built cars from days gone by.

IMG_0302.JPG

• Like 4

Hi, my name is Mark, aka 59ELEC from Sidney, Ohio! (yes, Ohio, not Australia) I have had many Buicks throughout the years but didn't discover Buick love until I met my 59 Electra. I had never seen one before and could not get over those gorgeous curves! Fins coming and going, absolutely awesome! Now bear in mind that this car is a basket case that spent the last 30+ years sitting in a corn field, but the body is intact and that is all I need. I have the ability to see the finished product through the rust and crud. My vision is a wild custom, fully modernized including the frame and drive train. But I will not alter those curves or chrome!

I have read a lot of posts here and think I will fit right in.

• Like 2

Welcome.  If you've read a lot of posts, then you know "if there are no pictures, then it didn't happen."  😎

• Like 1

Welcome aboard @59ELEC !!!! Hope you'll post more about your custom '59  perhaps in the Buick Modified forum HERE  The Modified forum is growing with several builds such as what you have planned. Here's hoping that you keep the heart/engine a Buick. :)

• Like 2

Just picked up a 63 Riv cause I have loved the styling of this car forever. With every car purchase a little blood and tears has to fall to get it in shape as the way the new owner would like it.

I have given much to the blood bank and lots left on the garage floor. I told myself 'never again' but here I go.

just a couple of pics:

front.thumb.png.0741da562cf50760d565e9fde5e0c598.png850177058_driversside.thumb.png.42f5866c5de733ff6cfe10d8644af691.png

Edited by TheOldMan (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Nice ride.  I like the wheels even though they're not original.  Are you going to leave then on the car?  I would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there,

I am a 22 years old marketing student from Canada. I just bough a 75' Buick Electra Landeau last autumn. It is a bit rough but it runs very good. It has 3 inches exhaust system with cherry bombs and 4 inches exhaust tips at the end - needless to say it roars !! It doesn't have the 455, it has a 67' or 68' 430. I am looking forward to make it even nicer over the next summer !

Thanks

• Like 2

Hey Welcome! Where are you located in Canada, and what's your first name, Have alot of friends in Canada and travel through Ontario to visit family in upstate NY. Check out V8Buick.com and read lots as there are all kinds of info about Buick V8's the '67-75 400, 430, 455 share alot of parts just got better and bigger as they aged, my best suggestion is to  read as much as you can before making any decisions and then you can ask good questions. I read the service manuals as a teenager for the '56 Buick, '64 Buick and even a '71 Oldsmobile, 

• Like 1

Hello @BUICK RACER ! I am located in Quebec, the one and only country of maple syrup ! I will most definitely have a good look on V8Buick to learn as much stuff as I can ! I am really looking forward to create something unique with this car since this base is pretty unsual/uncommon and we don't see them very often.

• Like 1

Nice ride.  I like the wheels even though they're not original.  Are you going to leave then on the car?  I would.

RivNut::  Yes I am.... love those wheels.

• Like 1

I will probably keep them yeah. They are Corvette vintage wheels. The car had redline tires back in the days and it really looked awesome. 

On 10/9/2010 at 5:36 PM, buick5563 said:

Recently, I have noticed a lot of activity with people who have less than 20 posts. I, for one, am excited to see this. If you have always wanted to get into the fray around here, kindly introduce yourselves . We really don't bite, and there is more automotive knowledge here than you can find anywhere else on the web.

Welcome in...

Hey Guys,

New Buick owner from S.C. home of 2018 College Football National Champs.  Just picked up a 1939 series 40 two door pretty much all original and restored a few yrs ago.  Olive Green with tow tone brown/beige cloth interior with gangster wall tires.  I will have a lot of questions since I am mostly a chevy corvette guy.

39 another side shot.jpg

39 interior shop.jpg

• Like 2