buick5563

Please introduce yourself...

3 minutes ago, ChristopheNormandy said:

Hello,

My name is Christophe, I'm 39 years old.
I live in France near beaches landing Normandy.

I bought a BUICK RIVIERA '68 in November 2016 in New Hampshire.
I received it in Le Havre on January 13, 2017.

I register on your forum to learn a lot about American cars and especially the Riviera of 1968!

I thank you in advance for your welcome!

Here are some pictures of my Riviera while waiting for me to create a subject on my Riviera.

Christophe

Your photos aren't showing, but welcome!!!  Look forward to seeing your riv.

14 hours ago, ChristopheNormandy said:

Thank you!
I know, I have not managed to insert them ...
I do not understand why...

Welcome!! need to make pictures smaller in size

• Max file size 125MB

On 3/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, ChristopheNormandy said:

I register on your forum to learn a lot about American cars and especially the Riviera of 1968!

Welcome!  I own a '67 Riviera, so I certainly understand your attraction to them!  Be sure to visit the Riviera Owner's Association (ROA) forum.  You'll find many others eager to help you get the most enjoyment possible out of your Riviera.  ;)

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/73-buick-riviera-riviera-owners-association/

Hello, my name is Roy. I was born and raised in Phoenix,Arizona. I just recently purchased my first Buick. A 1955 Special 2dr. hardtop. It has a v-8 with a 2 barrel carb. with a automatic. It's all orignial with no rust, but it's been repainted at one time. I will try to post pics as soon as I learn how.

• Like 3

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, ChristopheNormandy said:

Here is a video of my Riviera while waiting for me to create a post.
I will try to create it tonight!

welcome christophe ! ;) 

your riviera is beautiful :) 

• Thanks 1

My name is Dave and I've been in and out of bouts with "Buick fever" since I was 12 yrs old sneakin one of my old man's cigarettes in a 1931 Buick 8-86 coupe that was lounging in the garage in Wayne, MI.  That car was a sad case, it had suffered a fire and a lot of the wood was burned out of it.  Sometime during it's lifetime it tossed rod #6 right thru the side of the block and wore the big braze patch on the block like a badge of courage.  The car was originally purchased by my dad who spotted it sitting in a field he drove by on the way home from Ford Motor where he was a Custom Vehicle manager.  My brother was graduating high school about that time and my dad bought the car with the idea it would be a father/son project.  It ran awful when it came home and removal of the head revealed 6 iron pistons still in place and 2 aluminum pistons whose rings were all gathered at the top of the cylinder bores they occupied.  Eventually my brother went off to Purdue to get his electrical engineering degree and the Buick became my project.  I put it in  another garage that had amenities such as lights and electricity that the homestead garage lacked and tore that car apart, body off, engine out, 2 rods to first a welder then to a machinist who restored the wrist pin holes to original size since they had been hogged out for the larger pins of the aluminum slugs.  Then the block, rods, crank, pistons and cam gear went to another auto parts place with a machine shop and all the bearings were re-babbitted, crank ground and all parts fitted.  I reassembled the engine and put it back in the frame.  The Marvel heat riser system had been capped off at both exhaust and carburetor ends because the heat riser had burned out.  I had a machine shop flycut the old tubes out of the heat riser and press fit new stainless tubes, cross drilled for the butterflies.  I found a guy in Nottawa, MI, Burton Waldron who bent up a new exhaust system and supplied a new old stock muffler out of his barn.  I got the engine all together and voila- it ran beautiful, idled like a watch.

I sold that car off after becoming frustrated with the body restoration.

Many years later I bought an 1931 8-57S sedan with wires and side mounts.  I didn't look carefully enough at that car either as someone sand blasted the paint off the body and did a poor job of protecting the glass.  After hauling to Michigan from Marietta Ohio and rounding up a ton of parts for the car I realized I could afford neither the money or the time to restore it and wound up selling it off.

So now I'm retired and bored with winters in Port Huron, MI where we get lots of snow and some brutally cold weather.  I'd been bugging to get another car for awhile but the boss who is just retired was concerned that we had too much on our plates having just bought a new Ford Superduty P/U and a 5th wheel camper and with a road trip planned to visit my daughter and grand daughter in California.  All that said there was a recent E-Bay listing for a 1931 8-66S that looks to me that the heavy lifting is already done, body off restoration of chassis, running gear, drive train, fenders, gas tank cover and running board shields painted BLACK which is correct for all 1931 Buicks, radiator front shutters will be re-painted black, beautiful burgundy body paint, padded top and landau irons, golf door and rumble lid.  I finally convinced the boss to let me bid on it and I wound up owning it.  In the next few weeks we will drive to Illinois and load it on a trailer and fetch it back to Michigan where I will now have something to do in the winters.  I re-joined BCA having been a member twice before and discovered the Buick Heritage Alliance where I already purchased a bunch of 1931 Buick literature.  I will be on the "Wanted to Buy" portion of the parts board as I'm already looking for a few missing parts, most notably one of the headlight support stands, golf door hinges and original brake and clutch pedals.

s-l1600[5] (2).jpg

output.jpg

s-l1600[4] (5).jpg

output (1).jpg

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

My name is Dave and I've been in and out of bouts with "Buick fever" since I was 12 yrs old

So now I'm retired and bored with winters in Port Huron, MI where we get lots of snow and some brutally cold weather.   there was a recent E-Bay listing for a 1931 8-66S that looks to me that the heavy lifting is already done, body off restoration of chassis, running gear, drive train, fenders, gas tank cover and running board shields painted BLACK which is correct for all 1931 Buicks, radiator front shutters will be re-painted black, beautiful burgundy body paint, padded top and landau irons, golf door and rumble lid.  I finally convinced the boss to let me bid on it and I wound up owning it.  ...

s-l1600[5] (2).jpg

VERY NICE !!!  Welcome home to Buicks and back to the BCA too. 

• Like 1

I am new to this forum. Have been finding a lot of helpful info so far. Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

• Like 1

Welcome! Where ya from and what’s ya workin’ on? We love pics!

From Michigan, have a 64 riviera I am working on. Painted the top white with blue ghost pearl. Also put air ride on it. Still a work in progress.

20180317_134340.jpg

• Like 5

Hey gang,

Growing up I always thought I would be into Fords as so many models are iconic.  First old car I could buy at 16 turned out to be a '40 Buick Special 2 Dr. sedan.  I drove that as my daily transportation for many years (purchased in 1972).  Still have it and did steer me towards Buicks a bit over the years.  A Buick here and a Buick there accumulated over the years makes for a pile of them as the decades last.........

Ernie

Buicks .jpg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Ernie E said:

Hey gang,

Growing up I always thought I would be into Fords as so many models are iconic.  First old car I could buy at 16 turned out to be a '40 Buick Special 2 Dr. sedan.  I drove that as my daily transportation for many years (purchased in 1972).  Still have it and did steer me towards Buicks a bit over the years.  A Buick here and a Buick there accumulated over the years makes for a pile of them as the decades last.........

Ernie

HOLY COW!!  Welcome to the forum

• Like 1

Hello,  my name is Nick and I'm from New Jersey.   I'm very glad I found this forum, last summer I purchased a 31 Buick Series 50 barn find and it's been quite a journey finding some parts and info on this model and year. I even had a classic Buick parts dealer that is about 20 minutes from me laugh and tell me "Good Luck" in finding parts and info. So you can imagine my relief in finding this forum. Hopefully,  as I learn to navigate this forum, I will meet some great people and find some willing to help and point me in the right direction; or maybe even have a part or two that will help me put all the pieces together. Hope to talk you some of you all soon. 

20170221_201443.jpg

• Like 7

Hello all! Just recently purchased a Riviera to restore at my bodyshop for myself. Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself as I am sure I will be picking a lot of brains here on this matter ha ha!

Thanks,

Shane k.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shaneK said:

Hello all! Just recently purchased a Riviera to restore at my bodyshop for myself. Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself as I am sure I will be picking a lot of brains here on this matter ha ha!

Thanks,

Shane k.

It's good for all parties to know in which neck of the woods you hang out.  Easier to suggest where to find parts and services. Just curious, what year.

Make sure you scroll down and introduce yourself on the Riviera Owners Forum.  

Hi I’m Scott.  I’ve always liked old Buick’s and last year I bought a 1954 Century Riviera hard top.  It’s a project but it will get there!  I live in Phoenix AZ

410AB222-4421-45CF-A28E-F1CB0DFBBB26.jpeg

12B0FABB-48FF-4234-8354-1B728702557D.jpeg

Edited by Scottbellphx (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 8:41 AM, Nicholas3 said:

Hello,  my name is Nick and I'm from New Jersey.   I'm very glad I found this forum, last summer I purchased a 31 Buick Series 50 barn find and it's been quite a journey finding some parts and info on this model and year. I even had a classic Buick parts dealer that is about 20 minutes from me laugh and tell me "Good Luck" in finding parts and info. So you can imagine my relief in finding this forum. Hopefully,  as I learn to navigate this forum, I will meet some great people and find some willing to help and point me in the right direction; or maybe even have a part or two that will help me put all the pieces together. Hope to talk you some of you all soon. 

20170221_201443.jpg

Welcome aboard Nicholas!! Looks like you're in for a fun project. Be sure to check in with the PerWar crowd here, there's lots of great knowledgeable guys there that are always more than happy to help with technical stuff as well  as friendly comradeship.

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/60-buick-pre-war/

41 minutes ago, Scottbellphx said:

Hi I’m Scott.  I’ve always liked old Buick’s and last year I bought a 1954 Century Riviera hard top.  It’s a project but it will get there!  I live in Phoenix AZ

Oh boy, about time we get another '54 enthusiast on here. Looks like a nice start for a project. maybe a custom or ?  Pleas be sure to check in with the Post War crowd here for any technical advice and just general camaraderie .

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/57-buick-post-war/

Hello all,

I'm Jack from Portland Oregon. Been working on my 1956 Buick Special hardtop for about 5 years now. I just found some answers to windshield clips here so I thought I better sign up! When I was about 14 years old the first car I ever drove was a 1956 Buick Special 4 door, I always loved and owned a few tri-five Chevys but about 5 years ago when I went looking for one even a basic starter car was out of my price range. So I thought about the 56 Buick, it was actually quite similar and held a special place in my heart, and of course was much cheaper to start up. You can see the extensive details of my journey at my website but a short history: Rusted out 4 door 1956 Special $500. 1985 El Camino (It had been modified already with a different drive train including changing to a manual trans.) $2200. Cut 5 inches from the length of the Buick body at the back door to fit the 1985 Chevrolet G-Body frame creating a 2 door car. Although I loved the 56 Buick dash it was really wasted, and I love the 55 Buick gauges which made a perfect switch for the Auto Meter gauges I used. Been a long 5 year journey for me but anxious get an old mans final hot rod on the road this summer. Apologies to the purist :~)

buick2a.jpg

buick317a.jpg

56buicka.jpg

• Like 4