buick5563

Please introduce yourself...

Hello Everyone,

I've been here for a few months now, but I wanted to formally introduce myself.  I just recently purchased Mark Shaw's 31 Buick Model 57.  I'm in the process of giving it a tune up, polishing it up, and adding a few period correct features to use it as a parade vehicle for the Fire Department that I work with. 

Thus far, I have adjusted the brakes (one wheel was locking up), adjusted the timing, and changed the oil to a 30W with some Lucas Oil Stabilizer to help lubricate those hard-to-reach areas.  It seems to be making a difference, because the car no longer smokes on start-up.  Next step is to adjust the Air Fuel Ratio using a probe and get some miles on her!

She has been affectionately named "Betty Lou Buick" by my girlfriend - and I can confidently say that at 28 years old, we are the only couple on the block with a bunch of pre-war automotive tools and white wall cleaner in the garage.  I look forward to learning more about the car and carrying on its legacy!

Below is a picture of my " new" Buick with two period correct "FIRE" emergency lights that our department had from our 30's Childs pumper that is no longer mobile.  Next to it is my 1972 Mercedes 280SEL 4.5, which has an aftermarket "AccuAir" air bag suspension system that is adjustable from my phone, so we didn't have to run any cables into the car.  It's a huge hit with kids, who love making it bob up and down at car shows.

Iek0iJs.jpg

Edited by envoy_to_the_stars (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Welcome E-T-T-S.  That is a fine pair of vehicles.  I like those FIRE lights.  Makes the 31 look like it was a Chief;s car.

I took my drivers license test in my dad's 27 Buick.  I thought it was great but the cop wasn't thrilled.  That was 45 years ago.   I still think driving around in old buicks is great and have collected a few.  So far I have a 37 side mounted special.  A 38 roadmaster.  A 50 roadmaster 4dr riviera.  A 53 roadmaster 2dr riviera.  As you can see I may have a problem.  10982440_10153745655728079_2566455814052

• Like 2

Hello,

My name is Kate, and I am completely new to the site. I used to help my grandfather restore cars every summer. By help, I do not mean truly help; it was mostly handing tools and asking questions. I was 9 the last time I 'helped'. However, I always appreciated that he could turn a piece of junk into a piece of art. I have seen him restore autos from a '47 Chevy pickup to an '82 Cutlass, all works of art. He passed away last fall with a few vehicles waiting in line for work and, knowing how much I wanted to help him work on one, my family decided to gift it to me for my birthday this year. I am in my early thirties and have only dealt with radiators, water pumps, and general maintenance (oil, brakes/rotors, sparkplugs, etc.) all on different makes and models of vehicles. So, I found myself a new owner of a '77 Sklyark ("Jim") with no real knowledge about the engine or about body repair (the body needs a lot of work, dents and typical wear and tear from being an outside vehicle in an area where salt is used on icy roads).

I found this site while searching for others who had more knowledge than I as well as great stories about their experiences. I have recently finished with my graduate school and found myself with time, although not the money (thank you student debt), to finally start the needed work that will make Jim rumble back to life. I have to say, surprisingly, the engine is the original and still runs, but probably not for long. My first step is to transport him to where I live, northern Alabama, so I can work on him regularly. I am afraid to haul him until the body is deemed safe enough to travel without him falling apart on the drive, but once he is here I am unsure where to start since so much needs to be done.

I will eventually repost this statement, but I think my first steps will be to research the best engine upgrade and find the engine. I know the '77 models had the V8 upgrade. I have not seen Jim since before my grandfather passed away, so I am not familiar with his engine except that it is an automatic. I will correct that soon. I am making a special trip next month to fully assess him. I think I want to upgrade the engine with one that has better horsepower and better emissions. But most importantly, I feel I have to do this myself to truly honor my grandfather, I just wished I had retained most of the knowledge he tried to pass on when I sat around talking to him in his garage. I had always wanted to restore a car myself, but I thought I would start with a smaller vehicle (I still dream of fixing up a '67 baja) but Jim is now mine and I am already excited to hear him run smoothly.

post-155139-0-93201500-1445705514_thumb.

post-155139-0-74746800-1445705526_thumb.

Welcome Kate: That's a wonderful story about your grandpa.  This car you inherited is somewhat unique.  It's not unique in that there were few made, but more so in that there were few that survived.  An entry level car with a unibody construction I believe.  Chances are many of them were not considered valuable in their intended service life,  and let go to salvage yards when they stopped running.

It could be a V6 or a V8.  From the pictures you posted it looks like I see some sparkplug wires up front of the motor, in which case it should be a Buick motor.  There can be a wealth of experience here to steer you through problems you encounter.

The best thing to do is start a thread in the Me and My Buick section of the group. That way you can keep your project topic relevant to just your car. It would be a fun topic to watch.

As for transporting the car to Alabama, you should not be too concerned about the vehicle staying together on the trip.  That unibody stuff is very durable, even when full of corrosion and damage.  Here are two ways to transport that one.  A: pay a shipper to pick it up and deliver it.  $$$.  B: rent a U-Haul truck and trailer one way from where it is to your destination and go get it.  You don't need a special license, just practice good common sense while driving the U-Haul and trailer home. Try to avoid backing up and rush hour in known high traffic volume spots.

Good luck with "Jim".  Gramps will be extra proud of your accomplishment.

BTW, you might consider joining the Buick Club of America.  Like minded people with a penchant for all things Buick.

Hi there - I just got a '67 Skylark hardtop coupe, that's why I stopped over here and wanted to say hi before I ask you some questions ;)

• Like 1

Hello everyone from near Durham, NC. I just bought my first classic Buick, a 1964 Riviera. It is a very original car, just needs everything lol!

Brad

• Like 1

Good idea Mike. My name is Paul Dow and I live in Byron, N.Y. I have two 1937 Buick series 90 7 (or 8 ?) passenger Limited sedans. One is a basket case I bought 30 years ago and the other is a "driver" that I bought last month. Therefore, I have lots of parts and will rebuild things from the basket case and put them on the driver. I'm not into shows, just want a fun car to drive. I also have a 1957, 1972 and 1974 Corvette, 1969 Camaro, and a 1934 Ford panel truck with a built Flathead! Looking forward to the help this forum can give me with the Buick. Thanks!

Greetings Paul.  Interesting combination of vehicles.  You can't get much longer than a 37 series 90, nor much shorter than a 57 corvette.  Would love to see some pictures of those two side by side.  Meanwhile, welcome to this Forum.

Hi, my name is Don.  I own a 1956 Buick Special Riviera.  It is my son's fault.  My dad bought a new 1956 Buick Special 41 (4 door post).  I was 5 at the time.  We drove it for 4 years and went thousands of miles on vacations ranging from Yellowstone to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Northern Michigan.

I always tried to avoid old cars because they were not dependable but once I told my son that if I ever got an old car it would be a 1956 Buick.  One day, on his way home from college, my son passed an antique mall.  Sitting out front was what he thought was a 1956 Buick.  When he got home and told me about it we grabbed our cameras and went to check it out.  To make a long story short, I ended up buying it for $2,000.  That was over 20 years ago.  The car was mostly complete and little was done to get it on the road and keep it there until about 4 years ago.  Now, thousands of dollars later it looks really good from a distance and even good up close if you look in the right place.  I believe the engine is on its original build and runs like a top.

As it turns out we have a family history of Buick's dating back to the late '40s or early ,50s.  My son Matt is on the forum too.

Yea!  Another 56 owner.  Nice to provide some balance between us and those 55/57 guys!!!  :lol:  :lol:

Welcome to Matt too.  So what was the longest trip you've taken in the 56?  She sure looks GREAT in the picture.  Would love to hear more about your story.  Hope you've considered joining the BCA.

Hi guys!

My name is Robert and I am from Croatia (Europe, in case you wondered). My father recently bought a splendid red 1953 Buick 46C Special Convertible and we are now in the process of restoring the car to its original condition.

We bought the car in France and now we are starting to dismantle the car for a complete refit and I hoped to find some precious info here since there are no Buick support forums or clubs here in Europe.

Thank you all!

Robert

welcome Robert. You are the 3rd person I know of who recently purchased a 53 Buick convertible.  You have certainly hit on a valuable resource here.  Please feel free to share the cor and your story in the Me and My Buick portion of these forums.  It will be fun to see how your work progresses.

Hi guys!

My name is Robert and I am from Croatia (Europe, in case you wondered). My father recently bought a splendid red 1953 Buick 46C Special Convertible and we are now in the process of restoring the car to its original condition.

We bought the car in France and now we are starting to dismantle the car for a complete refit and I hoped to find some precious info here since there are no Buick support forums or clubs here in Europe.

Thank you all!

Robert

Please post some pictures

Yea!  Another 56 owner.  Nice to provide some balance between us and those 55/57 guys!!!  :lol:  :lol:

Welcome to Matt too.  So what was the longest trip you've taken in the 56?  She sure looks GREAT in the picture.  Would love to hear more about your story.  Hope you've considered joining the BCA.

Since dad hasn't answered, I'll speak up for him (I'm sure he hasn't found the 'Follow This Topic' button yet).

Dad has been a BCA member for several years, and I just tag along.  The longest trip in the Riv was the drive to Springfield last summer.  About 500 miles round trip.  The front transmission seal is getting to leak pretty bad, so it doesn't go far from home very often.  As far as we can tell, the car spent most of its life in Missouri.  Built in Fairfax, it had Missouri inspection stickers and service station stickers dating up to 1988 when we bought it in 1995.  The trip to nationals was it's first time in Missouri since we've had it, and only its second trip out of state (it went to Oklahoma City for paint).

Hi guys,

My name is Jason and I am now a proud owner of a 64 Riviera with a 65 Riv as a parts car.

I bought it from my dads mechanic. I am in auto body school and was looking for a project. As soon as I saw the 64 Riviera, I know it was the one to restore.

I am sure I will have tons of questions when I start on it. It will be delivered by the end of the month and I will start taking photos before disassembly.

Is there a good book or manual I should get? I have seen shop manuals for the 64 Riv chassis and one for the body. Any manuals I should be looking for?

Nice to be here..

Jason

• Like 1

Welcome Jason. 

the 64 Riviera is a heck of a starter car.  While normally I would suggest concentrating on the mechanicals and then driving it for  year to see what has to be addressed, being in auto body school now and starting may be advantageous.  The thing to warn you about is; you are about to embark on a highly desired car.  This means: do it right and you could build substantial equity in the project.  Do it wrong and you'll probably be doing it over.

At any rate, I look forward to the before pictures, and welcome you to the Buick Family. 

Jason, welcome to the BCA Forum and the world of Buick, the greatest car on planet earth (or any other planet for that matter). And you certainly picked a wonderful car to enter it in, a '64 Riviera. I have been wanting one ever since high school and that was a long time ago. IMO, like the 54 Buicks, the first gen Rivs came off the assembly line looking "custom" and with an elegant but sporty look.   Hopefully you will post up your car in the Me and My Buick Forum >  http://forums.aaca.org/forum/58-me-and-my-buick/ with lots of pictures and possibly a build dialogue.

Also if you haven't already visited, be SURE to join the Riviera crowd down in the ROA Forum >  http://forums.aaca.org/forum/73-buick-riviera-riviera-owners-association/ They can answer most any tech question put to them.

So welcome to the Buick Highway

• Like 1

Hi everyone, My name is Mark. I live just west of New Orleans La. I have a 1955 Buick Century and a 2013 Buick Encore.

jmb.jpg

be.jpg

• Like 3

Hello, my name is Paul Dinsdale proud owner of a 55 Super 2 door hdtop in the process of restoration.  I also have a 52 Chev pickup that was purchased new by my grandfather, soon to be powered by a 322 nailhead.  Hopefully I will be able to find a few parts and meet a few more Buick die hards. 

• Like 2

Welcome Mark and Paul!  Some excellent cars there guys!  Looking forward to a me and my Buick thread regarding your babies.

• Like 1