Please introduce yourself...

Hi, my name is Dick and I have a 1965 Buick wildcat with 50130 miles on it. It is all original and has the same top, but it getting to where it has to be replaced. Also the top will go done but not come back up without help. So I found this site and will accept any help. To start "how do I get the back seat out". I'll get a photo of my Buick and post it on this site later. I live in the northeast and this car has never seen snow. Always garaged in the winter.

Guest classic68

Hi all, I have a 1968 Buick Lesabre Custom Conv. that is modified. I put a top on this car and replaced back cylinders, I might be able to give you some pointers.Give Me a shout. Classic68 HAPPY MOTORING

Welcome gentlemen.

Dick, if you start a thread talking about your problem, I'm sure there will be folks who can help diagnose. I haven't played with a power top much (yet) - the first thing I would do is be sure the reservoir is full (many use ATF over brake fluid as it is easier on paint) and that you don't have air in the system. Good luck.

Guest ProgressCity

Greetings Everyone,

I'm Damien aka ProgressCity, from Southern California. My wife and I just purchased our first antique automobile; a 1929 Buick 51-129 and are VERY excited to have finally taken the plunge.

My wife and I are very into antiques and the mid 1920s to late 1930s. The car was the next logical step. While it's our first, it assuredly won't be our last :).

I'm really looking forward to eventually participating, but for now, there's so much to learn, I've got plenty to read and catch up on :).

Thanks for having us!

Greetings Everyone,

I'm Damien aka ProgressCity, from Southern California. My wife and I just purchased our first antique automobile; a 1929 Buick 51-129 and are VERY excited to have finally taken the plunge.

My wife and I are very into antiques and the mid 1920s to late 1930s. The car was the next logical step. While it's our first, it assuredly won't be our last :).

I'm really looking forward to eventually participating, but for now, there's so much to learn, I've got plenty to read and catch up on :).

Thanks for having us!

Damien and wife,

Welcome to the Buick forums. With a 1929 Buick be sure to check out the Buick Pre War Forum just a bit further down the page. Lots of interesting and informative discussion about early Buicks including 1929 models like your own.

When you visit the Pre War forum you will notice we like to see photos - so don't hesitate to post some photos of your new acquisition.

Welcome Damien,

I have the same car, but a Canadian McLaughlin-Buick. My car is patiently awaiting me to get at it. I have the car here at the house, and have puttered a little bit with cleaning it up, but haven't yet gotten started on any significant restoration work.

You may also want to consider checking out the Silver Anniversary Buick Club at http://www.29buick.ca/ as well as http://1929buick.com/

I'd love to hear more about your car.

Guest 62specialcoupe

My name is Bill, I live in Maple, WI. A few years ago I got a 1962 Buick special, it has a solid body, however it was incomplete when I got it. I am currently correcting 40 plus years of previous owner(s) changes. I joined this forum because I need expert advice and I have received that it the past. I have not posted much but I enjoy seeing all the projects come to life as well as the the quick wit of many of aaca BC members. On a side note I am looking for a headliner and molded carpet for the above mentioned car, which the Wife stole from me. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated. Keep 'em rollin'

Bill

000_0258.jpg

Edited by 62specialcoupe (see edit history)

Cool...same as my convertible. You're only about 400 miles from here. If you feel like taking it for some road miles, I'm putting together a tour in this area for the Labour Day weekend. Your car would put mine to shame, but I'm not sure when the last time the locals around here would have seen a pair of '62 Specials together.

In decent tune, you should get at least 20 mpg with that car.

I've had issues with mine, but they do look great, turn a lot of heads, are reasonably economical, and are smallish, which makes them more maneuverable in the city, not to mention better on fuel than most other old cars.

Guest 62specialcoupe

Sounds like a great time. I am having some oil pressure problems right now, thinking oil pump. I have done some investigation into the issue. I have had mixed advice so far, stock pump or high volume. I am also putting some new wheels and tires on next week. The wife and I are extremely interested, please keep us posted.

Guest Andrew Armitage

Hello all! I'm just getting back into old cars again after a several year hyatus. I aquired my father's '40 Buick Limited, Model 81, last year when he decided to part with it after 30 years of ownership. Seeing as the car had been in the family just about as long as I had been, I couldn't bear to see it go to a new home. Long story short, it's new home is in my garage.

My earliest memories with my Dad were at the many shows and swap meets we attended together and the time we spent working on the various old Buicks that came and went. As can be expected, I have a very strong attachment to Buicks.

For now, the Buick is getting some fresh attention and I'm doing my best to get it out and about.

Within the past month, I also aquired a '41 Cadillac Model 6723 (same chasis as the Buick Limited, 90 Series) project car.

Having a great time getting back into the scene and looking forward to making some new friends.

Welcome to the forum and back to the world of Buicks. The Limited's are some of my favorite prewar Buicks. I hope you will make this a regular pit stop. Please post up some more info and pictures of you and the car over in the Me and My Buick forum.

Now that you're here, I really think you should look into getting yourself a '54 Buick.;)

Sounds like a great time. I am having some oil pressure problems right now, thinking oil pump. I have done some investigation into the issue. I have had mixed advice so far, stock pump or high volume. I am also putting some new wheels and tires on next week. The wife and I are extremely interested, please keep us posted.

I love the way your car looks. One of the most attractive 62's I've seen is in Buffalo NY, where the owner took a hardtop and put a set of 14" Buick rallye's on. Up till then I was never that enamoured with the car's styling, but the chrome wheels really made it stand out. I gotta see if I have a picture of that car.

Meanwhile, if you happen to get the "Auto restorations" magazine, this months has an opinion by the resident mechanic regarding the oil pump. essentially it says to stick with stock. High pressure and high volume can tax other operating engine parts, like the gears on the distributor and cam.

Hello ... aquired my father's '40 Buick Limited, Model 81, last year when he decided to part with it after 30 years of ownership. Seeing as the car had been in the family just about as long as I had been, I couldn't bear to see it go to a new home. ..earliest memories with my Dad were at the many shows and swap meets we attended together and the time we spent working on the various old Buicks that came and went...

For now, the Buick is getting some fresh attention and I'm doing my best to get it out and about.

Having a great time getting back into the scene and looking forward to making some new friends.

Hi Andrew. Welcome to this forum. What memories of your father you must have. Good luck with the 40 Limited. Quite the car. What other Buicks came and went that you remember?

Guest Andrew Armitage
Hi Andrew. Welcome to this forum. What memories of your father you must have. Good luck with the 40 Limited. Quite the car. What other Buicks came and went that you remember?

There was a '40 Special, '54 Special 4 dr sedan, '55 Century 4 dr hrdtp (basically my first car), '70 Electra 225 conv't, and a '73 Buick Centurion conv't. But the '40 Limited was always there.

Guest SupRiv56R

I have owned my Buick since 1975. When I bought it only had 43,000 miles on the clock (documented through the service receipts that came with it ) and it currently reads just over 50,000. It has the original interior, padded dash, carpets and headliner all in very good condition. With the exception of the bumper ends which were replaced with non-rechromed ones from a salvage vehicle in Colorado, all of the chrome and stainless is original as well. I had some minor rust repaired using NOS rockers and one rear quarter panel and the car repainted in 1979. It runs perfect. Other major work was a complete re-build of the Dynaflow and most recently the power brake booster was replaced. I drive it everywhere as often as I can although right now I'm trying to resolve a chronic over-heating problem. I'm hoping it just need a good flushing and radiator reconditioning. This forum is a great source of information. In 1979, wrote to "Old Cars" to request they use their formula to estimate how many of these cars might be left from the original production. At that time they responded there were likely around 100 2 dr Supers left. I recall their formula took into conderation things like normal wear and tear, crashes, etc. All the normal things that take their toll.

Guest SupRiv56R

Thank you John. I was a member of the BCA for many years and have attended some of their meets over the years. If I can get my overheating problem resolved, (Freeing up that dang header pipe valve helped!) I'll take a ride up there. Right now I only get about 30 minutes of drive time before the sauna-effect starts! No worries though, I actually enjoy the car more when I have some issue to work on and resolve.

--Chris

My first car was a 1941 Buick M51 that my grandfather gave me on my 17th birthday back in 1960. Before that, I used to drive my great aunt's 1954 Buick M41D around the neighborhood when I was 12 or 13. When she got too old to drive I bought the car from her in 1975 and I've had it ever since. I just bought a nice 1956 M63D last week. I have owned many Buicks in the past: 1938, 1947, 1950, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1969, 1972, & 1973.

I'm just a Buick nut.

Guest Marsel

Hello.

I am Ivan, I from Belarus. I have no old car, but the automobile history is interesting to me.

This year at us there took place an exhibition of a retro of cars. A photo from an exhibition.

I'll re-introduce myself - Tom from Pittsburgh - I used to be on the board here a lot, then went AWOL for a while. I guess I burnt out on it for a while. But, the National BCA show always get my blood boiling for my old Buicks! :)

It has been before the format change since my last visit and I had to get my login and password set up again. Good to be back!

Guest niftyfifties

Hello All. Proud owner of a 1953 buick super. Its been stored away in my garage partially restored for 10 years now. I had other projects i was working on but now its time to get that buick finished. Very very clean car, no body work was needed and only 71k on the car. I am looking for a few small parts and info on where to locate items such as glass and correct upholstery. I do this because i love the old cars and love to see them come to life. I also have an amazing '54 olds 98 with factory ac, all powers and continental kit that will be next in line. I am glad i joined here because i see that there are many knowledgable members that i hope can assist me along the way. Look forward to meeting many of you and your cars. Cheers, CJ

Hi All,

I am not new to this forum but I have never introduced myself either.

My name is Larry and I live in northern Alberta, Canada. I learned the importance of forums like this one while working on my '65 Cobra.

My story is that I grew up the son of a buick fanatic. my dad loved buicks after owning his first '59 Electra. The most notable Buick was one he ordered new. It is a 1964 Buick Electra convertible. He ordered it Black on black on black with bucket seats and a 425 with dual quads. I grew up in this car and have always loved it. My dad parked it about 35 years ago when it started getting the odd dent and ding. while it was sitting it got worse. Approx 20 years ago my dad started on a complete resto on it. He rebuilt the engine, transmission and diff. he put about 20 test miles on it and then parked it to start on the body work. Well, life got in the way and it got pushed to the back of the shop. Then life got even more in the way and the car got pushed outside. During the winter one of my dad's german shepherds jumped up on the car and went through the top!! It was a couple of snow storms later that dad noticed it and threw a tarp over it. that tarp got tattered so he threw another on... and then another, and another and another... etc.

Step ahead to three years ago. My dad is diagnosed with black lung. he has a hard time breathing and knows he will now never be able to finish the resto. He knew how much I love the car and asked me if I wanted it. I, of course, jumped on it. The day I went to pick it up I peeled back 15 tarps off the car. There were weeds grown up around it and in the engine compartment. The air cleaner was missing and I could not turn over the engine. The body didn't look tooooo bad. even the interior was not bad. it was dusty and dry but not ripped up. I opened the door with loud creaking noise and I imagined the car saying to me "please, just let me die". I sat down in the drivers seat and felt the seat ease down through the floor. I knew then that I had my work cut out for me.

We loaded it up on the trailer and brought it home....... dust and rust trailing behind us.

I have since stripped the engine down and reassembled it. It has roared to life with an amazing hot rod sound. The body is off the frame and the resto is well under way with as much new parts as I can find. it now has all new brakes, brake lines, slaves, cables, master and booster. it has all new fuel lines, springs shocks and every steering component is new including the steering box and adjuster sleaves. all of the bushings front and rear are new and I am almost ready to set the repaired body back on the freshly painted frame and start on the body paint prep. The interior is out with the upholsterer getting redone as we speak.

I daily scour e-bay for any parts I can get for this car and am currently looking for a convertible top power switch (if anyone has one ;-) )

As much as I love this car, I will always remember my dad saying that when he died I could have it. He is still alive (thank God). so, on that note it is my plan to give the car BACK to him father's day 2012.

He can still give it to me when he dies but I would like him to enjoy it in it's showroom glory till then :D:D:D:-)

Guest Racenuts

Hello! My name is Steve, but everyone calls me Buddha! I have a 1970 Buick LaSabre I found stored in a garage for many years. The car runs smooth now but go lots of work to do. From 1976 to 1995 I build many street rods and street machines but been out of it until now. Funny how I can't remember half the stuff I used to know. Getting old I guess.

Anyway, hope I can find good information from everyone when I need it!

Guest niftyfifties

Sure will, as soon as i figure out how to do it. Im more handy out in the garage than here at the desk :)

Guest niftyfifties

Here are a few pics, Ill have to pull the rest of the cars out to get better pics for you guys.(I hope i uploaded correctly)

What a story Cobravii ( Larry). I hope you get photos of Dad when you give the carback to him.

Meanwhile, welcome Racenuts ( Steve) and always feel free to ask any questions here. We may not know the answer but we are always willing to help other Buick owners as best we can.

CJ, what a great looking car. Is that green over yellow? Nice "other" cars too. What else is in the inventory?

What a story Cobravii ( Larry). I hope you get photos of Dad when you give the carback to him.

Meanwhile, welcome Racenuts ( Steve) and always feel free to ask any questions here. We may not know the answer but we are always willing to help other Buick owners as best we can.

CJ, what a great looking car. Is that green over yellow? Nice "other" cars too. What else is in the inventory?

LOL..... my wife and my mom are worried he'll have a heart attack!!!

If that happens I don't really want that on film.

he's a tough old bird though. I'm sure he'll be OK.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Knowltey

Well I'm Knowltey, just joined the forums. I currently have a 98 Park Avenue Ultra that's been in the family for 9 years now. Unfortunately it was a little abused by my late grandfather for the 4 years before that, and I'm now looking at potentially doing some restoration work on it in the future, so just coming looking for a place that may have advice on where or how to get the best deals on certain restoration procedures.

I've driven Buicks for about 5 years now, Had a 2000 Century for 2 and now currently have the PA.

Another Buick I would love to eventually own as well would by a Reatta.

Edited by Knowltey (see edit history)

Hello and welcome Knowltey. Restoring a 98 Ultra will be fun but a challenge. If you need parts that are GM only, you may want to start stocking up. I understand that when parts get a certain age dealers are throwing the stuff away to make room for new parts.

Have any pics of that 98?