Please introduce yourself...

welcome Robert. You are the 3rd person I know of who recently purchased a 53 Buick convertible.  You have certainly hit on a valuable resource here.  Please feel free to share the cor and your story in the Me and My Buick portion of these forums.  It will be fun to see how your work progresses.

Hi guys!

My name is Robert and I am from Croatia (Europe, in case you wondered). My father recently bought a splendid red 1953 Buick 46C Special Convertible and we are now in the process of restoring the car to its original condition.

We bought the car in France and now we are starting to dismantle the car for a complete refit and I hoped to find some precious info here since there are no Buick support forums or clubs here in Europe.

Thank you all!

Robert

Please post some pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Yea!  Another 56 owner.  Nice to provide some balance between us and those 55/57 guys!!!  :lol:  :lol:

Welcome to Matt too.  So what was the longest trip you've taken in the 56?  She sure looks GREAT in the picture.  Would love to hear more about your story.  Hope you've considered joining the BCA.

Since dad hasn't answered, I'll speak up for him (I'm sure he hasn't found the 'Follow This Topic' button yet).

Dad has been a BCA member for several years, and I just tag along.  The longest trip in the Riv was the drive to Springfield last summer.  About 500 miles round trip.  The front transmission seal is getting to leak pretty bad, so it doesn't go far from home very often.  As far as we can tell, the car spent most of its life in Missouri.  Built in Fairfax, it had Missouri inspection stickers and service station stickers dating up to 1988 when we bought it in 1995.  The trip to nationals was it's first time in Missouri since we've had it, and only its second trip out of state (it went to Oklahoma City for paint).

• 1 month later...
Guest jason_Riviera65

Hi guys,

My name is Jason and I am now a proud owner of a 64 Riviera with a 65 Riv as a parts car.

I bought it from my dads mechanic. I am in auto body school and was looking for a project. As soon as I saw the 64 Riviera, I know it was the one to restore.

I am sure I will have tons of questions when I start on it. It will be delivered by the end of the month and I will start taking photos before disassembly.

Is there a good book or manual I should get? I have seen shop manuals for the 64 Riv chassis and one for the body. Any manuals I should be looking for?

Nice to be here..

Jason

Welcome Jason. 

the 64 Riviera is a heck of a starter car.  While normally I would suggest concentrating on the mechanicals and then driving it for  year to see what has to be addressed, being in auto body school now and starting may be advantageous.  The thing to warn you about is; you are about to embark on a highly desired car.  This means: do it right and you could build substantial equity in the project.  Do it wrong and you'll probably be doing it over.

At any rate, I look forward to the before pictures, and welcome you to the Buick Family. 

Jason, welcome to the BCA Forum and the world of Buick, the greatest car on planet earth (or any other planet for that matter). And you certainly picked a wonderful car to enter it in, a '64 Riviera. I have been wanting one ever since high school and that was a long time ago. IMO, like the 54 Buicks, the first gen Rivs came off the assembly line looking "custom" and with an elegant but sporty look.   Hopefully you will post up your car in the Me and My Buick Forum >  http://forums.aaca.org/forum/58-me-and-my-buick/ with lots of pictures and possibly a build dialogue.

Also if you haven't already visited, be SURE to join the Riviera crowd down in the ROA Forum >  http://forums.aaca.org/forum/73-buick-riviera-riviera-owners-association/ They can answer most any tech question put to them.

So welcome to the Buick Highway

• 1 month later...
Guest Chuck56R

Hello, my name is Paul Dinsdale proud owner of a 55 Super 2 door hdtop in the process of restoration.  I also have a 52 Chev pickup that was purchased new by my grandfather, soon to be powered by a 322 nailhead.  Hopefully I will be able to find a few parts and meet a few more Buick die hards. 

On 4/24/2016 at 10:16 AM, SwampBox said:

Hi everyone, My name is Mark. I live just west of New Orleans La. I have a 1955 Buick Century and a 2013 Buick Encore.

16 hours ago, Chuck56R said:

Hello, my name is Paul Dinsdale proud owner of a 55 Super 2 door hdtop in the process of restoration.  I also have a 52 Chev pickup that was purchased new by my grandfather, soon to be powered by a 322 nailhead.  Hopefully I will be able to find a few parts and meet a few more Buick die hards. 

Welcome to the loony bin, fellas!  

In these days of 'Just stuff an LS in it,' a Buick powered Chevy will be refreshing.  Can't wait to see more on that one, especially.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, OCStarZ said:

Hey everyone,

I have a 1951 Buick Special (custom).  Just found this site after owning my Buick for just about 11 years.  :-)

Welcome to the party, OC!  I assume you have accumulated lots of photos over the last 11 years, which is good because people on here are gonna wanna see it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, Been posting down in the Reatta forum for about 2 years now.  Here is a picture of my work in process. If you ever see some of my other pictures of its condition when I started working on this car , many would have just parted it out.There is also a kinda interesting story on how I came to have it. I did get it from the original owner.   I have been a Car nut for very long time and appreciate all things classic. This is my first Buick, 1988 Reatta White/Blue. I am a new BCA and RDIV member and will see you all in Allentown.

Wayne

DSCF8072.JPG

Hope to add another 88 Reatta and a 1968 Skylark one day to this one.

• Like 1

Hello everyone!  Johnny from Cleveland.  I've had my 55' Special for 11 years and have been a member with the NEOBCA for 3 years.

Always doing something with the car, it never ends...but most of the time i'm just really enjoying it.  Excited to be part of the Buick Family.

(Now i need to add a post - trunk weather stripping day and i'm a bit confused as to which direction this rubber glues on!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyKu said:

Always doing something with the car, it never ends...

Welcome to the forum!  We've had our '56 over 20 years, and for over 20 years my dad has said it will never be "done."  That's just the way a driver is; some things have been "done" two or three times now...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dkassner

My name is David Kassner and I live in southern Illinois.  I have been retired from teaching for a year and am enjoying having time to spend on our cars.  My wife, Jennifer, is a retired special education teacher and she enjoys the cars as much as I do (or at least pretends).  Our latest is the 1955 Buick Roadmaster.  We also have a 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that is currently being restored.  We like going to car shows and will be glad when we can be participants instead of spectators.

buick engine.jpg

buick interior.jpg

buick4.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Griz054

Hi Everyone,

I'm Jim Adams. My grandfather, Walt Adams, owned the oldest Buick dealership in Arizona until his passing in the late 80s. I recently found a 1970 Skylark from his dealership for sale. I'm purchasing it and should have delivered in October. It's in amazing condition including still having the original muffler on it. Looking forward to getting lots of tips on restoring this back to factory condition. It's the white Skylark in this picture.

buick.jpg

1954 Roadmaster Sedan named "Almendrón" 4 years in the making and finally finished beginning of this year. Been to few local shows and enjoying "the magic carpet ride" of the large body.

• Like 3

Welcome Jim and Al!  That's a great story on the Skylark. My grandfather helped start a truck company when I was a kid, and I'd love to pick up one that I'd seen being built back in the day, but I'm not sure where I'd park a fire truck. 

That's a beautiful color on the '54. Mr. Earl may come off as a bit of a stalker, but don't let that keep you from posting photos. Just don't post your street address and you'll be okay. :o

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello my name is Ryan. I'm new to buick but not new to building Cars I have built 70s datsun 510s for a long time. I have my first car still a 76 dodge dart with a 340. I just bought a 50 buick special its not the pretty but it does run I'm going to keep it rusty and air bag it.

Edited by 5 dimer (see edit history)