Please introduce yourself...

Guest counterpoint

To be honest i didnt know i was introducing myself just to the buick forum. But i do have some experience with mid to late 60s buicks. My painter has 68 & 69 skylark. his brother has a few too. I do most of their mechanical work. And i restored a few back in the hot rod shop in orange county years ago.

I mostly work on pre war american and european cars now.

Howdy Folks, I just joined this forum recently and also took some advice and joined the riviera assocation, both have been very informative. I'm a newbie, just starting my first restoration project, I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario Canada in a GM town called Oshawa. I recently picked up a 64 Riv originally from California, from a guy here who imported it about 12 years ago to restore. My friends are hard-core classic car restorers and will be helping me with the build. I have always loved the style of these cars, so I'm pretty excited. I figured its about time I bought one for myself. I found a complete parts car that we are going to take a look at tommorow if everything goes according to plan, I might own 2 rivs by days end.heheh. I will report and let you know how I make out. It sounds like there are a lot of good and knowledgeable guys on here, so its a pleasure to virtually meet you all.
Welcome aboard Rivinitup. Ahhh a 64 Riv, my dream car of almost 50 years but sadly still dreamin. Congrats on the acquisition and hope to be seeing more of it maybe in the Me and My Buick forum. Thanks for the nice introduction and again welcome to the Buick Highway.

Oh and RivinitUP if you haven't joined the BCA yet, I recommend joining...and joining soon. A little birdie just told me that the cover story for the September issue of the Bugle is 1964's Celebrating 50 years and has some nice Rivs in it. If you join be sure to include a note to the BCA office asking that you get that copy.

Guest CenturyScott

Hey there! I'm Scott T. I'm 30 and just came across a dream barn find of a 56 Buick Century 2 door on Saltspring Island, off the coast of Victoria BC Canada. Sitting for 30 years in a dry barn meant very minimal rust just under the rear window and a bit above the left trunk support... remediation of it is probably pretty simple but daunting for a rookie! Car's complete with a 322, which I'm just in the process of removing to rebuild. Wouldn't mind switching to an open drive-line, but that's a thought for the future!

Thanks y'all!

Man Alive, I've been reading and posting once in a while, and never introduced myself! I'm Lee, and I have a '60 Invicta 4-door hardtop, Cordovan over Tahitian Beige, a 2006 Lucerne CXL that's my wife's daily driver, and a 2013 Enclave that I displayed at the National in Portland a few weeks ago. I've been a member of the BCA since late 1972 or early 1973. I have an associate degree in auto mechanics from 1968. Worked as a pressman in printing for 38 years, and am now retired. I live in eastern Washington, and enjoy the BCA Bugle and this forum. I appreciate all that those who volunteer their time and talent to make the BCA what it is!

G'day ,

My wife and myself have just purchased our first Buick 1957 super ;) We are awaiting its arrival to Australia and looking forward to some summer cruising ..We have also joined the Buick club of America as well ;)

Matt

ohh i forgot to introduce myself, shame on me...

i am andreas from germany, 34 years old. i bought a 1955 buick 2dr hdtp last year from the US and since may i am going to restore it.

a hard job, because of some missing or bad parts. the winter is long and planned roll out is may 2015 :)

we will see...

Guest ncsuweatherman

Hello everyone! I'm Wes here in eastern NC, and I'm glad to say I've now got my own Buick in the backyard. I recently bought a 1959 Electra 225 Riviera. It was running when it was parked, with pretty much all original parts still on it. I'll say it's not all that easy to find info about these cars online, so I'm assuming it's fairly unique? Any other owners with the same out there?

Greetings ncsuweatherman. Welcome to this Forum. Congrats on a good choice. The 59 Buick is not your usual mainstream old car but it is easily recognizable. Hope you stick around and set up a thread on the Me and My Buick page. With lots of pictures. Also wanted to encourage you to join the Buick Club of America. The 2016 National Meet will be in Allentown PA, right in your backyard so to speak. Hope to meet you and your car there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hairpin88

Hi

I am Mike from Yorkshire/ Florida depending on the weather. I have a 1915 Buick C 25 and would like to find out how to get the actual date it was made so we can celebrate its 100th Birthday.any ideas?

Guest ncsuweatherman

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do my best to be in PA by then. I'll head over to the other thread and share a few "before restoration" photos.

Hello All........my name is Don. I now own a 55 Buick Special which I affectionately named "The Beast" See pix? Anyhow......been on the Planet for quite awhile now, and certainly hope to be around for many more adventures. Speaking of adventures. I picked up "The Beast" in WA state, and drove it back to my home town of Kyle TX (Just south of weird). What an adventure. Two borderline overheats, wandering front end, one vapor lock, and a whole lot of "I wish the weather would get cooler" thoughts. I finaly gave in and put The Beast on a trailer in Bernalillo New Mexico. What a ride! I have owned many cars in my lifetime.....Hillman Minx, MGA, MGB, Vega, Cadillac's, Pontiac's, Oldsmobile's, Plymouth's, Ford's and the list goes on. Worked on every one of them too. Lots of colorful words at various times......but hey...that's what it's about eh? Since I was about 15, I always wanted a 55 Buick. A guy I grew up with had an older sister who owned one. Beautiful!!! (the car too). Anyway I asked her if she ever decided to sell (and of course I had a license) would she offer it to me first. Sure Donny! I promise! Well my good buddy (her brother) decided to sneak off with the keys and go for a spin in this beautiful machine, and that was the last I saw of it. It was years later......he told me he totaled it. WAH!!!! So.............here I am today with The Beast. Believe me I will not leave the keys around when he comes to visit:D I suppose I will now move on over to the Tech section to get some pointers on how to remove and install all new upper, lower control ar bushings etc. with being mauled by that huge looking coil spring. you Guys, and Gals make this a site to behold. I would like to thank you in advance for sharing. post-97154-14314271418_thumb.jpg

I think I have to change my avatar no?:P

YEP!!

Welcome. I doubt the control arm bushings need changed, unless it was never lubed. My '50 has over a hundred thousand on it, and they are tight.

Do yourself a favor and but a shop [service] manual for '55. Should be your first purchase.

Overheating is almost surely a partially plugged rad.

Again, welcome. Perhaps start a thread in Me and MY Buick

Ben

Hey Ben,

Thanks for reply. Bushings are shot, rubber (or whatever they used back then) collapsed and broken. Especially the right side. Car will sail to right on a good bump. Like fight a good cross wind. King pins are lossey goosey as well. New wheel bearings, seals on order too. Overheat fixed. Previous owner for some unknown reason, removed the fan shroud:confused:. Big no, no.

Hi Mike,

I probably should have done this when I first joined. Recent assistance over the years and genuine support from you and others in the membership helping with my current project hade me realize this post is long overdue.

So, here goes... I am a Sales Manager at an industrial chemical manufacturer. Born in Chicago and raised in the south suburbs where I now reside with my wife.

I've had my share of Buicks but not as many as some. Like a lot of us, I always liked all cars, probably rubbed off from my father. I am Buick by association. After my mother received her driver's license in 1963, dad dumped the '54 Bel Air and bought her a creampuff '57 Special and a pick-up for himself. Over time, the Special was replaced by a '62 LeSabre and then a '65 Wildcat. An obvious pattern was developing; Dad liked Buicks and this latest turned out to be his favorite. He referred to it as 'The Big B". By the time I was 15 years old, driving was all that was on my mind. One evening after dinner, my dad said it was time to get my mom "another car" (he always bought used and was careful never to say "new"). He asked if, rather than trading it in, if I would like to have Mom's old car - under certain conditions. I anxiously agreed to every single rule Dad set forth. Seven months and most of my meager savings later (repairs were part of the agreement) an arctic white, 1965 Buick Wildcat, 4 door hardtop with crystal blue vinyl interior and p/w, a/c, conering lamps, speed minder and trunk release in the glove box became my first car. Many Buicks followed but none ever compared to the feeling I had back in 1973 when I rolled into the parking lot at school behind the wheel my "Big B". The die was cast.

Thanks to all,

Jim

BCA 43102

Former Buicks:

'65 Wildcat

'69 Wildcat

'70 Riviera

"72 Rivera

'69 Electra conv.

Current Cars:

'55 Olds

'64 Wildcat conv.

s

Hello All........my name is Don. I now own a 55 Buick Special which I affectionately named "The Beast" See pix? Anyhow......been on the Planet for quite awhile now, and certainly hope to be around for many more adventures. Speaking of adventures. I picked up "The Beast" in WA state, and drove it back to my home town of Kyle TX (Just south of weird). What an adventure. Two borderline overheats, wandering front end, one vapor lock, and a whole lot of "I wish the weather would get cooler" thoughts. I finaly gave in and put The Beast on a trailer in Bernalillo New Mexico. What a ride! I have owned many cars in my lifetime.....Hillman Minx, MGA, MGB, Vega, Cadillac's, Pontiac's, Oldsmobile's, Plymouth's, Ford's and the list goes on. Worked on every one of them too. Lots of colorful words at various times......but hey...that's what it's about eh? Since I was about 15, I always wanted a 55 Buick. A guy I grew up with had an older sister who owned one. Beautiful!!! (the car too). Anyway I asked her if she ever decided to sell (and of course I had a license) would she offer it to me first. Sure Donny! I promise! Well my good buddy (her brother) decided to sneak off with the keys and go for a spin in this beautiful machine, and that was the last I saw of it. It was years later......he told me he totaled it. WAH!!!! So.............here I am today with The Beast. Believe me I will not leave the keys around when he comes to visit:D I suppose I will now move on over to the Tech section to get some pointers on how to remove and install all new upper, lower control ar bushings etc. with being mauled by that huge looking coil spring. you Guys, and Gals make this a site to behold. I would like to thank you in advance for sharing. [ATTACH=CONFIG]268842[/ATTACH]

"Just south of weird" is close enough...and I am 30 miles south of you, along with the same passion for 55's! I have 3 of them as well as 2 parts cars. Send a PM with contact info...I would like to see that very sharp Special. A good friend and member of these forums (buick5563) has a restoration shop 30 miles north of you (in weird) and has a 55 Special there with the front suspension disassembled.

Willie

... I've had my share of Buicks but not as many as some. Like a lot of us,... Dad liked Buicks... and ...He asked if, ...I would like to have Mom's old car -... an arctic white, 1965 Buick Wildcat, 4 door hardtop with crystal blue vinyl interior and p/w, a/c, conering lamps, speed minder and trunk release in the glove box became my first car. ...The die was cast. Jim BCA 43102

Yes!!! While my Dad never wanted me to own my own car, my family somehow understood that the 65 Electra was mine....

Welcome to the Forum Jim. So glad you chose to come here...

Guest walterww

Hi, My name is Walt. I just inherited my late fathers 1923 Buick Coupe. It has been on blocks for the last 20 years and I think it is time to fire it up and go for a ride, with a little help from you all.

post-103022-143142728589_thumb.jpg

[h=1][/h]

Edited by walterww (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll introduce myself. My name is Bill, I live in San Diego, and I just bought a 1964 Riviera with 47K miles on it, after looking at Rivieras for a couple of years now. I am a car guy--have had several classic cars, like to work on cars, like to talk about cars, and I have two sons who like cars. I am a pretty good parts installer, but not a mechanic. I'll be posting, and reading posts. Already got a lot of help from one of the Senior Members here. Thanks.

Guest Rocketsled59

Hi. My name is bob smith. I'm from central illinois and formerly restored buicks(as well as other makes) at Dave Lewis restoration in spfld. Il. Til just after Dave's passing. Glad to be aboard!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest svenster

Hello.My name is Brian.I have a 1952 model 48D.Her name is Geraldine and I love her dearly.We have been together 12 years. I am a member of the Buick Club of America.

Cheers Brian

Guest tommyduncan

Hello from Boulder City NV...

I went on a trip to Phoenix with a buddy to see some of his grandfathers cars. He passed away and had a couple acres of cars. Most have been hauled to the crusher but I went to help him evaluate the last of them, which was about a dozen.

Now I am the owner of a 55 Super!

They have let me store it there but I will be going to get it soon. I am so excited!

hello one and all - Dan from Houston, here. Have not been on the board in years. I have just bought a 1949 76C and will be freshening her up for fun. Also have a 1949 76S in need of full restoration. So, I look forward to discussing resources for parts, etc.

hello one and all - Dan from Houston, here. Have not been on the board in years. I have just bought a 1949 76C and will be freshening her up for fun. Also have a 1949 76S in need of full restoration. So, I look forward to discussing resources for parts, etc.

Hello Dan,

pictures, please !!

Guest JPromo

Hello, my name is Jason, from Plymouth, Michigan near Ann Arbor. I grew up in the back seats of muscle cars in the 90s and naturally grew into a car enthusiast myself. My main hobby is antique bicycles (cheaper and take up less space!), but I have a '77 Olds Delta pace car and a '51 Willys wagon. I'm a big fan of originality and the historical significance attached to old cars.