West Africa Buyer?

I have been contacted by several automobile brokers stating they have an interest in Nigeria regarding one of my classic cars. The price is extremely appealing. As much as I hate to I may have to sell it. Has anyone had contacts simular to this? I have had a few emails back and forth with him, and he is willing to pay any expenses incurred on my part if I were to assist in shipping. I live in a port city and can go through the motions if this is a viable oppertunity. ANy advice, concerns, or cautions regarding a transaction of this nature?

Thank you for your replies.

Dan

danno16@excite.com

Not an expert by any means - but it would seem that the buyer could and should arrange for transport so I would be cautious with the concept of putting anything out of your pocket. Certified bank funds for the purchase price BEFORE the car is packed off would also be the best way to go. There are numerous global shippers that you could SUGGEST to the buyer - but I for one would let him make the arrangements to keep it simple.

The emails are out of UK. There is no correspondance regarding bank transfers (I delete several of those a day) In fact he wants a postal address to submit check to. There is no attempt to disquise or falsify email accounts or identities. The car is not priced too high, it is in rare condition and I would have to wait a significant time for a US buyer due to the desirability. But, I am skeptical.

Danno16@excite.com

I agree - again you should spend NOTHING out of pocket. Just curious ... how did these brokers know you had the car and that it was for sale??? Did you advertise it or is Big Brother watching?

I was told by law enforcement at a banking conference that anything that has to do with Nigeria has a 99.99% chance of being fraudulent. I discourage you from giving anyone your bank information. Checks from African countries are extremely tricky, due to the very long clearing times and the differences in banking laws. If you get stuck with a bad check from outside the country, your chances of collecting it are very small. My advice is that if the buyer wants to bring US currency to your door, accept it. Otherwise, the risk is too great.