krauseheim

My car smells bad - mice urine odor reeks - help!

On 9/16/2002 at 7:46 PM, Guest said:

A dead skunk in the trunk will eliminate the mouse smell.

So will a live one.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Real Steel said:

A lot of posts here.  If you're still having a problem with odor, pour some ammonia in a bowl and let it sit in the closed car over-night.  Repeat the next day with a fresh bowl if necessary.  The ammonia smell goes away very quickly, afterwards it smells like...nothing. 

Ammonia can be bought at the grocery store.  Use about 1/2 cup or so.    I've used this method for years...it works!  Easy, cheap, and environmental friendly.

I'm going to try the ammonia just as soon as I get my car back from

the shop. I warned the guys about the smell but they were not

concerned. They just started with their own stories about

smelly vehicles.

I've had a couple cars that reeked pretty bad but mostly from just being old and TOO closed off.

I had great success with Febreze.

Regardless where odors originate they permeate the entire interior so spray the entire interior and leave the car closed up.

It may take two or three bottles but after that the best way to get rid of residual odors entirely is a fresh air breeze in sunlight with the doors open.

• Like 1

I’m going through this now. I don’t think you’ll get rid of the smell completely until all the nests and places mice have stored food and traveled inside the car have been cleaned up and wiped down. Found nests in the heater and evaporator box; pulled the floor vents and cleaned out nests in the bottom of both sides of the cowl; there was a nest in one of the openings where a body mount bolts to the cowl - would have never seen it if I hadn’t pulled the left front inner fender out; nests in both sides of the back seat arm rest bases; still have one left to hose out of the frame. 

So far I’ve pulled out most of the interior, all the heat & AC components and engine/trans to find all the nastiness.  All for about 3 years of cheap storage. Had to learn that lesson the hard way.

Mark

Edited by Mark I (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I solved the mouse pee problem.

I place small urinals in all of my cars. Now if I can get them to flush...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hate to sound like somebody's mother, but I would urge anyone who goes digging around for nests to consider wearing a good dust mask at least.

• Like 1

I tried the ammonia for one night. It helped a little. The best thing was leaving it outside with all windows open.

I am now leaving the windows open while it is in the garage. Because of that I have re-baited about 10 mouse

traps (even though the mice tend to stay away in the warm months.)

The first day I left the car outside in the sun with all the doors open happened to also be the day that

the maple trees decided to lose all of their winged seed pods. They flew right into the car along with

all the caterpillars that are now hanging from the oak trees on silk threads. Oh well.