My car smells bad - mice urine odor reeks - help!

Guest krauseheim

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Disturbing the dust and cotton can cause cognitive damage to your brain. After being exposed to the old seats do you find yourself looking at cars for sale and thinking about buying another one?

Funny you should mention that. I came close to buying a 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood Anniversary 4-door sedan. Gave up

when I finally got guy to admit I could not test drive it  ... no brakes and he wasn't interested in fixing them.

So as of next Tuesday I will be having a nearly complete front end replacement so I can finally drive straight.

I'm committed! 

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

They love hedaliners and often that is where the smell is coming from.  Those aren't water stains on your headliner.

No smell or stains from the headliner. My wife patched that last summer

so it wouldn't look so bad for my son's wedding.

See my blog site for the rest of the story and photos.

04-Buick-at-RISD-1024x683.jpg

Edited by Roadmaster71
Addition of photograph (see edit history)

Most of the pet chains have a pet urine absorber. The one I used comes in a jar and has some kind of absorbing material inside. Just open the lid and let it do it's thing. Hint, never rent to people with a cat!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Most of the pet chains have a pet urine absorber. The one I used comes in a jar and has some kind of absorbing material inside. Just open the lid and let it do it's thing. Hint, never rent to people with a cat!

You and several other people have the same suggestion. I will be visiting a pet store soon.

Thanks so much!

I covered everything with baking soda and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide. No significant change.

I also vacuumed out all the debris they had stored inside the springs.

CAUTION: Shortly after my first vacuuming of the seat springs i noticed that there was a tick on me.

I could not remember going in the woods and so had no idea where it came from.

The second time I removed nesting material from the seats I saw a tick on my pants while I was

still using the vacuum. 

Those ticks must have been left behind by the mice. Be careful! Lyme disease is prevalent around 

here.

There is a deadly serious side to this discussion -- Hantavirus. It's a potentially deadly infection that comes from mouse droppings and urine.. I don't know if many of you followed the "Ice Road Truckers" show, but one of the drivers, a guy named Rick Yemm, contracted  a case of Hantavirus from driving a used semi that had a mouse infestation. As a result he spent a long time in the hospital recuperating. The show turned quite dramatic when a fully dressed hazmat team was required to clean the truck properly.  Here's a link to an article about the disease:

https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/index.html

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A lot of posts here.  If you're still having a problem with odor, pour some ammonia in a bowl and let it sit in the closed car over-night.  Repeat the next day with a fresh bowl if necessary.  The ammonia smell goes away very quickly, afterwards it smells like...nothing. 

Ammonia can be bought at the grocery store.  Use about 1/2 cup or so.    I've used this method for years...it works!  Easy, cheap, and environmental friendly.

Edited by Real Steel (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Real Steel said:

A lot of posts here.  If you're still having a problem with odor, pour some ammonia in a bowl and let it sit in the closed car over-night.  Repeat the next day with a fresh bowl if necessary.  The ammonia smell goes away very quickly, afterwards it smells like...nothing. 

Ammonia can be bought at the grocery store.  Use about 1/2 cup or so.    I've used this method for years...it works!  Easy, cheap, and environmental friendly.

I'm going to try the ammonia just as soon as I get my car back from

the shop. I warned the guys about the smell but they were not

concerned. They just started with their own stories about

smelly vehicles.

I've had a couple cars that reeked pretty bad but mostly from just being old and TOO closed off.

I had great success with Febreze.

Regardless where odors originate they permeate the entire interior so spray the entire interior and leave the car closed up.

It may take two or three bottles but after that the best way to get rid of residual odors entirely is a fresh air breeze in sunlight with the doors open.

• Like 1

I tried the ammonia for one night. It helped a little. The best thing was leaving it outside with all windows open.

I am now leaving the windows open while it is in the garage. Because of that I have re-baited about 10 mouse

traps (even though the mice tend to stay away in the warm months.)

The first day I left the car outside in the sun with all the doors open happened to also be the day that

the maple trees decided to lose all of their winged seed pods. They flew right into the car along with

all the caterpillars that are now hanging from the oak trees on silk threads. Oh well.