1926 Graham Brothers Project

sean26graham

Hi all. Am building my dads truck after years of putting it on the back burner. Am interested to see what parts are avaliable as some bits are missing. Most of the mechanical hass been built vut missing guages and various other things. Parts in Australia are like hens teeth so reaching out to others to see if i can get this running.

amam Am

IMG_7468.jpg

6 hours ago, sean26graham said:

Hi all. Am building my dads truck after years of putting it on the back burner. Am interested to see what parts are avaliable as some bits are missing. Most of the mechanical hass been built vut missing guages and various other things. Parts in Australia are like hens teeth so reaching out to others to see if i can get this running.

amam Am

IMG_7468.jpg

Should be a great looking GB when finished. I have a 29 Dodge Brothers. Some of your parts are interchangeable with DB trucks. What is the chassis number located on the front left frame near spring support.

Here is my truck:

5F043F28-4DD7-41A5-A137-D3BD611F86EA.thumb.jpeg.96d7cea723b45d24df89dfe86008c8c3.jpeg6CC1196F-5A02-4894-AE60-5EBC61829EAB.jpeg.e27589a9dd13483eacc17712d315518b.jpeg

Enjoy the adventure.

• Like 2

G'day Sean,

Have you tried contacting the Graham Owners Club? President is an Aussie, Nev Storey!

Link to the Club - http://www.grahamownersclub.com/  Go to Regions and there is a link there from which you can send an email directly to Nev! By the way, where are located in Oz? Nev is at Ulladulla south coast of NSW. Pic is from 2014 when our Packard club visited Nev's workshop.

Nev's truck.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys i have been in touch with people in Australia and they are looking for bits and pieces as well.

Both your trucks are beautiful. Hopimg mine will be to that stage some day.

I dont have chassis number as of yet bet will when i pick it up from storage.

Quick question i need some photos of the engine and dash and how its all run and plumbed. As its been 17 years since me and dad worked on it im having trouble with the layout. Any pics would be greatly appreciated. My email is smqt@live.com if thats easier

FB_IMG_1523695652554.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My 29 Dodge Bros essentially a Graham truck with Dodge Bros badging. These were the transition years after Dodge took over.

Could you locate the frame number? I am still interested. I enjoy the history of these truck, Send me a private message if you wish.

Here are some pics of my progress.

E2203B97-4580-47BE-863C-50408B6741CD.jpeg.fc1afa9a91bc63bfb35f23e3fc1d8c18.jpeg4DC5AD3E-D734-481B-A360-B6C7996FFC70.jpeg.3356cedf9baed9f01d67100fccbeebb3.jpeg

Yes lots of wood in this one also.

On 5/2/2018 at 12:17 PM, sean26graham said:

Gday my frame number is D127613

20180502_135858.jpg

Your frame or vin # is shown on the attached Dodge Bros production listing. Dodge and Graham did a lot of sales overseas. The “D” is a Detroit build. Not sure but “S” frame numbered or Stockton CA were shipped over seas also.

The frame, running gear and cowling were shipped. There was a local builder that did the custom model build.

Nice wood work. What type of wood are you using?

AC25837C-F35C-498D-8EF2-12FCCED17C0B.jpeg.aa088e8a87ce82502ddcfe07b2d5f629.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome Sean26Graham...

Can you please share with us your wheel base and the first three digits of the engine stamp so we can log the info into our production numbers file we are attempting to put together as Dodge Brothers Club members ?

Beautiful trucks Sean and Sherman ! Doing a fine restoration on your trucks gentlemen :D

Best regards
Dave

• Like 1

Sean,

as for parts... make a list of what you need specifically and once we can verify the specific make and wheelbase of your truck we can begin our search on this side of the pond .

If you are wanting to do an authentic restoration it's very easy to mix these trucks up and a lot of the information is incorrect in the public arena... so, again, once we can verify the exact truck you have, one of us may have a wiring diagram and other important pictures to share but we want to make sure they are exact to what you are needing if you are wanting to do an authentic restoration,.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:19 AM, stakeside said:

Your frame or vin # is shown on the attached Dodge Bros production listing. Dodge and Graham did a lot of sales overseas. The “D” is a Detroit build. Not sure but “S” frame numbered or Stockton CA were shipped over seas also.

The frame, running gear and cowling were shipped. There was a local builder that did the custom model build.

Nice wood work. What type of wood are you using?

AC25837C-F35C-498D-8EF2-12FCCED17C0B.jpeg.aa088e8a87ce82502ddcfe07b2d5f629.jpeg

Hey Stakeside,

I am using Victorian Ash hardwood for the build as its is available in the sizes I need. As this in not a true rebuild there has been a few variations I have put in place to strengthen the body as well as shorten its width because the original build was rubbing against sides.

As I have torn it down I noticed that the truck was originally a tray truck with the front and doors being a modern addition. I guessing it was built around the 40 - 50s due to the fact a lot of the timber is in metric measurements and going by the type of bolts and screws. It had been a kind of miss match of parts and timbers to create the body. I have modified a few bits because I wasn't happy with how they fit but will still retain the original look.  

Scan.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:30 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Welcome Sean26Graham...

Can you please share with us your wheel base and the first three digits of the engine stamp so we can log the info into our production numbers file we are attempting to put together as Dodge Brothers Club members ?

Beautiful trucks Sean and Sherman ! Doing a fine restoration on your trucks gentlemen :D

Best regards
Dave

Gday Dave,

Ill get all the details when I'm at the truck next.

As for parts I am going to build the wooden body first and get all the old rotted sections out of the shed (Only have a single car garage) so it abit squishy at the moment. Once body complete ill have more time to access whats missing as I still have boxes to rummage through and see whats there.

Thanks 

Sean

Here is a page from dealers book. This a 1929 Dodge Bros version of the chassis that were shipped overseas. The body and type of use was determined at the custom builders shop. Looks like yours was a closed panel type. Note that the windshield supports were not included. Will you be building yours to match? Do you have any history on this truck?

A492A4E7-AC00-4D0E-8076-D66687AC20DB.jpeg.89b9c16b0924cc2ee0a9d270a5427190.jpeg

• Like 1

Noticed your picture of the original truck and it appears to be green. My truck will be “Dodge Blue”. This blue was used on trucks. I have found that the blue will oxidize and turn more green in much sunlight. If you have any panels with original paint you can use rubbing compound to get original color.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:44 AM, stakeside said:

Here is a page from dealers book. This a 1929 Dodge Bros version of the chassis that were shipped overseas. The body and type of use was determined at the custom builders shop. Looks like yours was a closed panel type. Note that the windshield supports were not included. Will you be building yours to match? Do you have any history on this truck?

A492A4E7-AC00-4D0E-8076-D66687AC20DB.jpeg.89b9c16b0924cc2ee0a9d270a5427190.jpeg

Gday, 

Sorry for the late reply have been away for a while and haven't had time to follow things up.

I will be making the window supports to the same style as what was originally there even thought a lot of the wood is rotted I'm able to get the measurements from it to make them. I will be changing a few mounting points as I didn't really like the original style as they held water and dirt and started to bend over time. 

The history of the truck was originally a tray type used for carting goods from the docks here in Melbourne. The original colour was blue because as I removed a lot of the pieces I have found the original colour still on many pieces. The truck was bought in the 40's but a furniture moving company and had gone through many rebuilds and things added to it to create what it is now. Most of the cab is the original truck but the tray sides and roof was added at a later date. The original blue paint was under the green on the doors.

As the truck was made in Brunswick Victoria many of the vehicles of the time were painted in Brunswick green so we are going to keep it the same colour as that was what dad wanted.

Thanks for posting your progress photos. I had a lot of woodwork in my truck. I used white oak. It worked out good since all my cuts were fairly simple and straight.

They called it “composite construction”. It would have resembled a woody if if was not covered by sheet metal.

The history of these trucks is part of the adventure.

E50B63B4-809D-41A5-A66F-314B5CEFDBEC.jpeg.0d667b61e71375118889422ed14594ae.jpeg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

There is a Graham Bros truck in an estate just east of Cheyenne,came off an old ranch many years ago,did not come with a title and they did not get one. Believed to be a '27,steel wheels,single on rear,wood grain type box,stored inside. Would need body work and total restoration. The owner says he would take $450 for it and probably not interested in parting it out. It's behind some other cars and stuff,I'll try to get pictures soon. 

• 1 year later...

Good morning fellas,

Been awhile since my last post, life had got in the way of any truck progress and things were pushed aside why i decided what i wanted to do with the engine.

Long story short i pulled the engine and box and brought it into work to give it a once over, pulled the sump and found a brown milkshake surprise waiting for me.

Turns out the engine has had water sitting in the sump for the past 15 year or so, goes to show how good the sump holds up.

Tore it all down to access the damage and found the cylinders are toast and the cam sustained excessive damage so off the the machine shop we went.

After 4 weeks in the dip it come out stripped of all rust and corrosion and we decided to sleeve it and i ordered a new set of standard pistons for it, new valves, new valve stems and a local company is going to clean up a spare cam i have out back.

My next concern is my crank and most of all the bearings. after measuring they have far too much clearance for my liking and are severly scored up. Trying to find a local shop to redo the white metal and will regrind the crank and rods to suit.

Has cost me a small fortune but am wanting this engine to last another 100 years.

Ill post up some more photos of the condition of the block when i find them but here are a couple of the kids excited to get it out.

67483739_1820955181340328_3124436038932496384_o.jpg

67056212_1811144042321442_5290289953547223040_o.jpg

This is Dale in Montana I Would  like to check on the old barn find Graham Bro’s.in Wyoming, Iam not to far from there,  if you care to share the info. Does anyone know what the long metal tag or badge on the rear frame cross member on these old Grahams Bro’s. Trucks says ? I can’t read either one of mine. dale.tharp@gmail.com 406 557 611one.  Thanks 

On 2/23/2020 at 6:15 AM, Dale Tharp said:

This is Dale in Montana I Would  like to check on the old barn find Graham Bro’s.in Wyoming, Iam not to far from there,  if you care to share the info. Does anyone know what the long metal tag or badge on the rear frame cross member on these old Grahams Bro’s. Trucks says ? I can’t read either one of mine. dale.tharp@gmail.com 406 557 611one.  Thanks 

Here is a 20’s Graham “G-Boy”. The larger plates would say “Graham Brothers”.

538073DB-A302-452E-B476-00BA4FCF1BC5.thumb.jpeg.70d735895c4c3f0adc3992253cd79102.jpegAB23911B-572C-447A-8C8C-C5C55011C045.thumb.jpeg.f798db9ff4027fa3ef4e6e7a5e003750.jpeg