110volt instrument inverter.

Does anyone know where to get the 110volt inverter for the 88 reatta. gm

has discontinued the part #. The company that makes the inverter is EGR INC

Part # is 1642275. The inverter is used for the instrument panel lights.

Jim Finn probable has one. The one in the IP is pink. According to the manual you remove the top but if concerned about the plastic it can be replaced from the bottom (wear arm protection).

this site deals with this type of lighting.......

http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/app/site/site.nl?site=ACCT76399&mode=welcome&sc=1

I usually go to the bone yard and get them from Riverias,,,,,88 89. The one in the dash is best obtained with the top of the dash out. Then it is easy. For the other you have to get into the consul. It is just by the radio and is marked 110 volt...........ken

I spoke with the nice people at ERG INC. They are going to research the pssibility of manufacturing the 110volt inverter. They said about 30 inverters would need to placed in order for the precess to go foward. Does anyone have a need for these inverters. PLz. Email to chrismizel@aol.com with responce. Thanks, ray mizell.

The information is a good start, but you need to give some people more help.

What is the part number? Also doesn't the factory unit plug in? Does this unit have plugs or must it be wired and is that a problem for someone that doesn't know + from -.

I'm sorry my apology' Barney, the part # at All Electronics is CAT# INV-8, tel # 1-800-826-5432, and in fact it must be wired in, but it will come with instuctions, one can cut and solder in, or use wire nuts to install, It also has a higher load capacity and can be used to feed both the instrument panel and consol if desired.

If you have a broken one out , if I can open the unit, perhaps I can check out the components out and see what goes wrong with them, I am pretty sure that they can be fixed.. if it can be opened.

thanks

Prakash

I did a little research in my GM parts book and discovered six different part numbers. It is possible that even these numbers have changed.

'86 (would be Riviera part)= 1636498, 1636499, & 20625421 (orange housing)

'87-'89 = 1642274, 1642275, & 1642276 (blue housing)

I have a 1642275 in a pink housing and a plastic pin that pushes into a hole for mounting.

I have no way of knowing if they all have the same connector pattern or what their rated output might be.

You will note that the parts book does not list a part for '90-'91, can any of you confirm that the later cars use this part?

Hi , is there a wiring diagram whereby one has an opportunity to see where all the electrical are connected via the inverter?

I 'd like to see the diagram, and see what is happening, there are hobby books that show how to make inverters, however if anyone knows the total amount of current drawn via the original inverter, it shouldn't be too difficult to make one. basically the 12-15 Volts DC is fed to the inverter , which in turn produces 110Volts AC for the purpose of the fancy lights around the dash--which I imagine are in series with eachother almost like the christmas lights.

• 8 years later...
Guest ReattaFan1

Ok, time for me to order the pink inverter under the dash (part number 1642275). I see that the reattaowner.com shows a link to ergpower.com ⇒ Console Inverter Part Number*-*ReattaOwner.com ⇐ But looking around the EGR site I dont see a 110 VAC inverter. They do have DC to DC inverters. I know some lamps still run on DC current but I think the one needed is 12V DC to 110 AC. What are the specs on the 162275 inverter? Quote off ReattaOwner.com on the 1642275 (pink) vs 1642274 (black) "The main difference between the two inverters is the input current, and the output frequency" I'll try looking around for something equivalent. I did find this little portable inverter ⇒ Amazon.com: 12V DC TO 110V AC INVERTER Power CAR CHARGER ADAPTER [uS Plug]: Electronics and this other one is similar and rated at 100 watt Amazon.com: 100 Watt Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC for Automobile: Patio, Lawn & Garden ⇐ Im somewhat savvy in electronics, I bet it could be taken apart and rigged. Im just not sure if it would work well with the variable light adjustment. If I cant get a good source for the original 1642275 inverter I'll give it a shot.

Edited by ReattaFan1 (see edit history)

To GM, a penny saved was worth a different part number particularly for new cars. Often for service replacement, "one size fits all".

Back in the day, Pontiac V-8s had a different oil filter (PF-23) than the OHC-6 (PF-24). The only difference was the vertical mount PF-23 did not have a drainback rubber flap. -24 did. Later service books showed the -24 as replacement for all so dealers only needed to stock one.

This is the kind of trivia that gets fanatics gnashing teeth and opening wallets. At one time a enterprising re-popper silkscreened "PF-23" on PF-24s. Only trouble was they silkscreened them upside down.

Guest ReattaFan1
That is some old searching all the way back to 2002 for posts on inverters.

I do have some tested good used inverters available.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I just sent you a parts request to your email

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ReattaFan1
That is some old searching all the way back to 2002 for posts on inverters.

I do have some tested good used inverters available.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I received the parts today (Upper Dash Inverter and Photo Cell). Shipping was fast. I couldn't wait to instal them. That solved the issue with the pod and center console light's not lighting up. They all light up and and the dash dimmer switch controls the lamps as it should. Perfect!!!