1940 Door Latch mechanism

kingrudy

I do not know much about the Oldsmobile of 1940. I have a 1940 Buick Super that has the door handle located in the belt line. My door handle mechanism has been turned to junk and I was wondering if there is interchangeability with the "C" body Oldsmobile of this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike 

Check with Steele Rubber down in Denver NC. They used to offer the ferrule installation tool for those years door and trunk handles and they may be able to say for sure. Personally I would think all the Fisher C cars incl Cadillac would use the same piece, but there was a lot more independence between the GM Divisions back then and Buick often tended to go its own way.

Thanks for replying to my question. Ternstedt was a sub contractor to Fisher Body at this time, Wikipedia has a nice article on the original owner of this company. When the "C" body came out in 1940 the outside door handle was in the belt line for the Super and Roadmaster models. All other models the outside door handle is below the belt line. I have seen photos of the "C" body Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Cadillac La Salle all have the door handle in the same place as the Buick, but I sure like to find a guide to interchangeability on this part. If anyone has any knowledge about this, I would sure appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Mike