89 Cassette player

SteveT

OK , it looks like this topic has been hit before , but not for some time.   Is there a way to eliminate cassette player without getting and error message?  And what is the best way to wire in an MP3 outlet?  I would love to replace my cassette with a panet containing 2 amp usb charging ports and a plug to hook up to my audio on my phone or an mp3 player.  Also is it possible to wire a usb port to the radio so that I could use memory sticks?

You won't get any error messages. But you will need to keep the tape player if you intend to wire a auxiliary input in.

Personally if you are going to put USB outlets in, I would use one that has a 3.5 mm jack and hard wire/splice it into the tape deck wires. That way if you lose battery power you can still plug the tape deck in to activate the auxiliary in.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SteveT said:

I would love to replace my cassette with a panet containing 2 amp usb charging ports and a plug to hook up to my audio on my phone or an mp3 player. 

this is what i had until last week.i took some clear lexan and painted the back black to give it a mirrored look.i installed one of those round double usb ports and a stick on phone mount.i hooked a phone jack  directly to the radio module in the console beside the drivers seat.i cut the black,green,and brown wires coming out of the plug on the bottom of the radio.black is common and the green and brown are left and right.[or right and left].last week i hardwired in a bluetooth module using the pink antenna wire to turn it on with the radio.now all i do is turn on the radio and hit play to listen to whatever audio my phone or ipod is putting out.put the cassette player wires behind the panel next to the passinger foot well where the fuses are.then you can remove that panel in minutes to temperarly plug in the cassette player when needed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725SFMJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNGCDVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1i picked that usb charging port because all i had to do was drill a hole to install it.

Edited by handmedownreatta (see edit history)

I removed my cassette player completely and installed a radio I got from China Mart for a hundred dollars that has blue tooth, am/fm, cd, sd card, usb, aux, dvd and will play music from my phone. Now I can talk on the phone hands free while watching a movie while going 70 miles an hour in rush hour traffic. :D 

++

I

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 8 months later...