23 Buick rear light

carmover

Depends. 

In 1923 Buick hit sales # 1 million

With that, they moved the single tail lamp from the left of center to centered in the rear license cross bar. My car is a 23-45 but just shy of # 1 M based on engine # not chassis # so mine is still to the left.

So go find your engine # on the front drivers side of the aluminum crank case. 

My car car also has a period aftermarket brake light. 

02D79DD3-CFE9-4A63-8C71-DC0083F6C2F5.jpeg

C962AAC7-D236-4896-9C0E-BB0E2EEAB843.jpeg

13255A05-C3A4-479F-884F-049F9CA15A1D.jpeg

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Several centered variations I have seen.dw_640.jpg.2bffd1ab6bebe2b65b6c0bbbbbecd7bb.jpg5ace0cfe432a3_1923BuickRoadster_10.jpg.2ac1d79d1483e7696e7f7eb024bad7fd.jpg

1923-1.thumb.jpg.5af5e7937fa35bcad22dc3ffb2c57a32.jpg

To me the last image of the 1923-55 sport touring is the most correct as it did have the correct lens. The light unit should be the same for a centered or offset license plate bar. Below is the specified Buick "Type A" tail light on my 1925. They do show up on Ebay frequently.

5ace0ef649af3_1925BUICKTAILLIGHT.jpg.8c3ab0de36e5b2681373b332c8c03983.jpg

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The bottom pic Larry shared is a 23 center mount for an open car.  Note on it the illumination windows would be on top and bottom.  Mine are are top and side

what I don’t know is if open and closed cars were common rear lamps in 23.  Suggest a parts book part number search. 

• Like 2

Brian, in regard to your comments about the frame and engine numbers.  The frame number is the controlling number for the number of vehicles that were built.  Buick exported engines to McLaughlin in Canada and to Australia for Holden.  If an engine was  replaced in a dealer service department, I have been told that the new engine would have been stamped with the existing engine number.  Plus, engine and frame numbers were not the same until sometime in the 1930's I believe.  Not trying to be a wise-guy here, but it just seems like the frame number is the thing to go by.  I remember you saying something about this before that this is how a person can identify a 1923 model from looking at it from the rear.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

Well, both my frame # and engine # are below 1M so I can't help solve the issue.

Who has a re-print of the Dave Chambers article?  That is the Holy Grail.

I always thought they switched at engine # 1M.

Here is a pic of Larry Schramm's 1923-48 parts car that went to Europe.  It's a 1923 closed car (48)  (what's left of it) which is why I post it.

I have seen so few 1923 closed cars, nor are there many pics of them out there.

20170823_162227_thumb_jpg_531600e048e0c2f27bf869791d6cec9c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Well, both my frame # and engine # are below 1M so I can't help solve the issue.

Who has a re-print of the Dave Chambers article?  That is the Holy Grail.

I always thought they switched at engine # 1M.

Here is a pic of Larry Schramm's 1923-48 parts car that went to Europe.  It's a 1923 closed car (48)  (what's left of it) which is why I post it.

I have seen so few 1923 closed cars, nor are there many pics of them out there.

20170823_162227_thumb_jpg_531600e048e0c2f27bf869791d6cec9c.jpg.Also my mounting bracket only has tail light mounting holes in the center

If that is a closed car then the sedans and touring cars must have shared the same light.Mine is chrome and has Hupback stamped on the top and appears to be from possibly from a Hupmobile and it looks like it might be from the thirty's  Also my mounting bracket only has tail light holes in the center right above the tag mounting slots.

Brian:

The photo of Larry's car does show that the light had a nickel bezel on it similar to the 1924 and 1925 Masters. I have seen other 1923s with the Type A as is on my 1925 with the round retainer spring clip. The parts book show a part # of S-3043 (42-B) for models 41,44,45,47,48,49 and 50 with wood wheels. The illustration looks to match this light.dw_640.jpg.77a5447dcf07c7512416937b20824e4c.jpg

6 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Brian:

The photo of Larry's car does show that the light had a nickel bezel on it similar to the 1924 and 1925 Masters. I have seen other 1923s with the Type A as is on my 1925 with the round retainer spring clip. The parts book show a part # of S-3043 (42-B) for models 41,44,45,47,48,49 and 50 with wood wheels. The illustration looks to match this light.dw_640.jpg.77a5447dcf07c7512416937b20824e4c.jpg

Interesting

Frame # it is then. Thx Rod. 

I can can see Terry grinning from here. 

Guessing my Nickel rim on by rear lens frame wore off long ago and got painted?  I have no Nickel left on the headlamp rims so I finally clear coated the polished brass. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ROD W said:

David Chambers article

SCAN0013.JPG

Thanks Rod,This should clear it up for me.The Hupp Light that I have is center mounted and mounted on top of the bar .There are no other holes except for license holes on the bar.

On 11/04/2018 at 11:38 PM, 27donb said:

Any good source, besides ebay and auto parts swap and sell, for some red and clear flat period correct glass lenses? 

Don,

You could try Snyder’s Antique Auto Parts. They have a few different lens types including a matching lens for the 26 Standard, so you might get lucky. Of course I don’t know any of the dimensions or exactly what the correct lens looks like for your car so I may be heading you in completely the wrong direction

• Like 2

Ron, 

The 24 Buick 6 cylinder and the 25 Buick Master share the same tail light.  All models.  168990.  This is the higher end car, so it will have the nickeled bezel and the housing will have the slots in the bezel area to hold the pins in the bezel.  Same slot mechanism as used on the cowl lights.  The 1923 and 24 4 cylinder and 1925 standard had the less expensive style with a wire ring to hold the glass.  Interesting to look on the Snyder website as the Model T taillamp parts look like they could work for a Standard.  The Snyder glass parts may fit the bigger cars?

The photo of Larry Schramm's parts car looks like the correct housing for you.  The nickel Bezel on the photo rod provided looks correct if the bezel design matches what is on your cowl light bezels.  

Hugh

Capture.thumb.JPG.85cc71e84d4a27b4d10fe70a21f5b433.JPG

• Like 2

Interesting.  So the 4SD (truck models) had some unique parts there...makes sense as the body is different.  Otherwise, it shares the same tail lamp as the 35.  With the two lenses I will have to see if there is more than one lamp / bulb for the different parts or if it is all one, just using STOP for emphasis.  Ever since getting this vehicle, with its maximum speed in the 45 mph range, I've always thought the slow moving vehicle triangle makes sense.  As we've got a lot of farming in this neck of the woods, those are easy to come by and it should be easy to rig something up to the body of the "truck".

• Like 1

Only on this Site could you get all this information on a rear lamp!

Now the question is, what is unique about the wire wheel 143-B lamp?  Since we solved the other dilemma and need something else to work on.  Ha. 

I'm guessing the spare carrier for the wire wheel is unique and drives a unique lamp.  Wire spare is on the running board and not even on the rear (I think) and a luggage trunk too on the rear?  OK you smart guys, chime in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brian,

The tail light for the 54 and 55 has two nickle trim rings, I think that is the only diff.                                                                                                                                               The 54 with wire has the spare on the back with a special mounting bracket.

John

22-6-55

• Like 2

Leif:

What you posted is from the original I sent to you. I have the copies I made from this 2 section Book of Parts which I posted previously.

The book is somewhat odd in that it lists the 4 cylinder models first on the cover page. But, it does not address those 4 cylinder parts until page145. If you see the applications on page 177 are all 4 cylinder model numbers.

The front half of the book addresses mostly 6 cylinder models as the Photo plate 17 shows the illustration and the page 39 information referencing 6 cylinder models. The front cover of Kyle's book is different ( SIX CYLINDER  - 1923 SERIES ) from the one I sent you. (FOURS AND SIXES). Interesting....

Larry

• Like 1

Larry and Leif,

What Larry is saying about the two series of models being covered in one book is correct.  However, Buick Motor Company also had an Illustrated Parts Catalog that covered the Exported Models.  And Buick was also known to reprint these catalogs which contained revised and updated parts numbers and they would supply the revision date as well.  I have several parts catalogs that list and illustrate the same part, but as time went on, the part number changed.  With regard to the footrest for my 1920 K-46, the very same part is listed in the 1922 catalog under a different number.  I am not sure why they did things like this but they did and a person has to be careful in reading these catalogs.  I think it is referred to as picking fly crap out of pepper.  My one 1922 Illustrated Parts Catalog is titled as Domestic.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ronnie, 

What I have original on my 1925 Standard is a 2 3/8" wide Buick radiator emblem.  The two tail lamp monograms and brackets that I have in a box are also 2 3/8".  

Per the big parts book

159667   Radiator monogram     23-24 4 cyl, 23-26 6 cyl, 28 6 cyl.   This is the 2 3/8" wide

The 1926/27 radiator monogram got smaller, as I have an original 26 radiator and shell at the house. 

For the rear

163274     tail lamp monogram and bracket.   23 4 cyl, 23-24-25 6 cyl.

In 1926/27 the rear emblem has a different part number.  

The book does not call out the "monogram" with a part number for the rear, it is considered a unit.

Hugh

• Like 1

Some have a soldered on back and 2 new ones have bolt on back with nuts  for all 5 radiators shells . I am going to go buy a camera that has adjustable resilution the smallest my phone has is 4.7 mb. if I had a smaller one I would send you one .--kyle 

all 2-3/8''

20180507_225702[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 10:21 PM, sligermachine said:

well I sent '' carmover''   a 1923 light and the steel bracket looked like the emblem  size would work from a radiator . do you have it yet ? 

I got it yesterday Kyle.I have already started restoring it! Many thanks !     Ronnie

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 1:19 AM, sligermachine said:

Some have a soldered on back and 2 new ones have bolt on back with nuts  for all 5 radiators shells . I am going to go buy a camera that has adjustable resilution the smallest my phone has is 4.7 mb. if I had a smaller one I would send you one .--kyle 

all 2-3/8''

20180507_225702[1].jpg

I ordered one from Bob's this morning and I believe I can make it work.I held the one from my 25 radiator and it looks like it would fit ok but the round soldered part was too big for the hole.I am going to make a steel bar for the stud on the new one to hold the emblem in.

• Like 1

Kyle,   

My owner was the opposite.  A few parts had paper tags with aluminum rings around them tied to the part with string,  Then some parts were in glass jars with screw on lids.  Some of the jars were taped together because they were broken.  You can barely read the handwriting on the tags.  Most everything else was in 5 gallon buckets and rusty coffee cans.  You did step into the Buick gold mine.    Hugh

• Like 2