Teens-20s?? Continental 6V, 7V, 9V,10V Motors

Bud Tierney

These are smaller motors for the period, all 27/8x41/4, and show up very little in my old catalogs

7V lists in 1917 or so 6-36 Moon and 1918-19 or so Y-18-T Saxons...I only found one 6V listing, I believe a misprint, and NO 9V-10V listings...

In the 1912-15 or so period Cyclecars were all the rage, being generally 2-person little runabouts, with motorcycle engines, but some did sport 4 cyl water cooled engines...thereabouts there were also "light cars': more than CycleCars but smaller ?? than "standard? cars...

Continental built their model "U" engine specifically for this "light car" segment; also a smaller motor, it's too early for most of my old catalogs......

A question came up on another forum re' a 1917 Moon 6-36,  in New Zealand,  having a 9V engine rather than the listed 7V., possibly installed as a replacement.....

The New Zealand location brought up a question:

Since UK/Euro auto ownership was rigidly controlled via high fuel etc taxes, I wondered if Cont'l  might've had a practice of fitting some of their export cars, that here in the US used larger engines, with some of these smaller engines, to make them more salable overseas??

If anyone here has the Continental History book, I wonder if that's mentioned...

JAN:  My apologies: -I should've set it out----it's not a forum as such, but in a slowly continuing discussion of Cont'ls in a Hemmings site.

If you google "Cont'l engines in makes Hemmings"  it should come up; It's a Jan Norbye ? (memory) piece with 120+ comments; the Moon is at the end of the comments.

POVERTYCOVE: Odd---got your comment on email transfer, but it doesn't show here???

To answer your question, if there's no Cont'l tag, I have absolutely no idea...I did do a simple quick googling, finding nothing, but a more serious effort might turn up an article in one of the trade journals when the engine line was introduced...there's such a piece on the "light  Car"  "U" engine in Horseless Age circa 1912 (I have date and page # in another email; if it doesn't Google)...

• 2 weeks later...

(Sigh)---I should live  so long as to become familiar with ANYTHING like that...so, regretfully (deeply regretfully) no...

If you were curious about the engine, I have three catalogs that list the 6 (nothing on the 8)...

24 piston says model I 1922 had 7R, 1923 had 8R...

24 wrist pin agrees...

30 Valve says 22-24 (no model listed) had 8R...

That's not as contradictory as it sounds---the 7R and 8R, while often listed by themselves, are sometimes listed as "7R-8R" for a particular make/model, as if the 8R succeeded the 7R, or was possibly an option...

• 5 years later...
On 4/23/2018 at 11:53 AM, Bud Tierney said:

(Sigh)---I should live  so long as to become familiar with ANYTHING like that...so, regretfully (deeply regretfully) no...

If you were curious about the engine, I have three catalogs that list the 6 (nothing on the 8)...

24 piston says model I 1922 had 7R, 1923 had 8R...

24 wrist pin agrees...

30 Valve says 22-24 (no model listed) had 8R...

That's not as contradictory as it sounds---the 7R and 8R, while often listed by themselves, are sometimes listed as "7R-8R" for a particular make/model, as if the 8R succeeded the 7R, or was possibly an option...

Hi Bud,

have you or anyone else ever found any evidence or should I say explanation of what the letters and numbers meant that Continental used?
For example: 7R, 8R, 12M etc....

I've been thumbing through "Continental! It's Motors and its People" by William Wagner and he seems to be pretty thorough in his research but I have found no mention of the original meaning behind the alpha-numerical system they used.

Thank you for any insight

Best regards 

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)