Lincoln L series question

Steve_Mack_CT

HI Steve- Model L Lincolns are one of the most undervalued Full Classics. They are great cars. Well engineered and well designed, they are great cars to drive on a tour. The only fault I can think of the steering is a bit archaic on most years-it is the exposed, primitive "rack and pinion" style. This was replaced by a conventional gearbox (Gemmer, I believe) but this didn't happen until 1929 or 1930. The carburetor and manifold set up isn't the best, but, years ago, a replacement manifold was made to adapt a conventional downdraft  carburetor to the Lincoln "L" engine. If you can find one of these manifolds, I would recommend getting it. I like the refinements seen on the 1929-1930 models such as the acorn shaped headlamps and more curvaceous fenders, but they are all good looking cars. They are typically very reasonable cars to buy and, in my opinion, a much better value than other brands of similar years. I would recommend buying one. I'd like to own one!

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As usual thanks to ghe great folks on the forum.

Guy, we are considering another car, would be nice to own something that is CCCA eligible.  I am aware of a couple of 29 sedans, seem to be reasonable for an early 30s Full Classic.  BTW, been picking away on the Speedster, many inquiries, only one serious, but, it fits in my shed and is fun to toy with do we'll see, it's not make or break.

Thanks Linus.  One is in HMN online, a 29 L sedan, Willoughby body, $26.5k.  The other, which appears to be an identical model, is with Shawn Miller.  Both also seem to be largely original although Shawn's listing has a replacement interior.  I haven't inquired yet as I generally like to be pretty serious before I take up someones time.  Might reach out soon though.  Big ol sedans, nothing too splashy, but seem to be in our prkce range! ?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I actually looked at that project car AJ, at the Rhinebeck show.  Heads were off as I recall, car was essentially complete. Guy didnt seem to know much, I suspect it was an estate car he wanted to flip.

Yes, I figure Shawns is more expensive, what an interior though.

Things i can say about the hemmings car:

wrong gas cap, missing one cover for the generator brushes, looks like the wrong drive plates for the water pump shaft,  gear shift lever is bent - engine number looks like it has been restamped. Its blurry in the photo, but looks off.  If you feel like it, send me the serial number from the firewall tag and the engine number.

Things i can say about shawn millers car -

In 2008 it was listed with the LOC as belonging to james Day in ohio, I dont have any other history.

Horn is wrong, greyhound is missing, not a fan of the mirrors, looks like a tropic aire accessory heater with original switch, missing air filter trim ring, missing battery cable attachment point cover on generator, battery cable routed from the wrong side? (maybe has a cut off installed?), something wrong with vacuum pump- looks like they have an electric in it with some home made blanking plate and plumbing- the correct guts for this are very hard to find so see if they have it.

I like both cars, looks like they both need the same sort of stuff. 

• Like 1

Wow, yes many thanks Linus.  Really good info here.  Doesn't sound thag different from a non Classic approaching 90 years young, although, to AJs point, the expertise is really helpful.  

Noodling these two for sure, been thinking about a few cars but these two keep rising to the top.

Might be, how many of these are out there, i noticed it but assumed someone may be keeping better of a pair.  Hmm.  Black car and wheels, Ww tires. But if so it looks like the dog on the radiator ran away. And he is a must!!

Good point on the radiator cap - i missed that. 

There are quite a few 1929/30 sedans floating around bur few of them are willoughby bodied cars. Its more likely that these are just  lincoln bodied cars such as the  169B or 168A or simliar. I am not good enough to tell them apart by looking at the body photos online.  Ask them for the body type numbers from the brass tags under the front seat cushion. Then we can know.

L

Edited by Linus Tremaine (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a car i know personally and it is a type  169B factory body. It looks pretty much identical to the two cars posted above. 

For comparison, this car was for sale and sold for 40K. It had a meticulously rebuilt engine, new paint and all new exterior chrome - it did have a worn original interior. 

L

f0ee9d24f57abfabcd9eca832c7d0657.jpg

• Like 1

this is a photo of the willoughby "limousine" from my catalog. 

I cant figure out what the difference is between the type 174 and 160- both were offered in 1929 and are called willoughby 7 passenger limousine. Either way, they are super rare and I cant imagine that those cars you are considering are willoughby bodied. 

ill be quiet now.

type174wulloughby.jpg

• Thanks 1

i will add that the hemmings car seller claims it is one of 1513 made in  1929 - which incidentally is the exact number of type 169B factory bodies that were made in that year....

where as the willoughby bodied cars were:

Type 160 - 155

Type 174 - 228

So, I think we have our answer....

• Thanks 1

Yes, still attractive and affordable, perhaps even more so knowing that, Linus!

Havent spoken yet but I wpuld be inclined to give benefit of the doubt here, a likely honest error, he likely believes what he wrote or was told.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

How about a Judkins then?

That body was also placed on Pierce Arrow Senior series 33/36 cars. At least one on them is still around. I agree the Lincoln is a great car, under valued and not well understood.

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

That body was also placed on Pierce Arrow Senior series 33/36 cars. At least one on them is still around. I agree the Lincoln is a great car, under valued and not well understood.

Looks better on the Lincoln?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Looks better on the Lincoln?

Yes.  Except if I admit that my Perrce Arrow buddies would bust my chops.  So I have no comment. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...