The toy box and the big shop, my New shop Build.

auburnseeker

You've got to be proud when you look at your first posts of the project and now.

A first class build. You are correct about projects taking more time and money.......every time.

Keep posting updates.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

I'm questioning my own sanity for taking on such a big project as well.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a little more done inside tomorrow as far as nailers,  so I can jump back outside on Friday 35 or Saturday which is suppose to be 42.  One day of upper 40's would be nice with the lift to get the band board on and get it put away for the winter.  We'll keep our fingers crossed. If I had 5 nice days I would be a happy man,  but I'm not seeing that. Lets wish for a little dry and a slight warm up.  Still chilled to the bone from the cool breeze that was blowing in the shade today. 

As always thanks for the kind words. 

I've seen it and it doesn't look good.  I'm crossing my fingers.  I can deal with some cold,  as much as I don't like it.  It's the snow I hate because with those temperatures it's here to stay and fight with along with the ice.  You did good moving to a warm climate.  Why any of us wants to live in the Northeast,  I'm not sure. 

• Like 1

Why any of us wants to live in the Northeast,  I'm not sure.

because half of the folks that retire down in FL move out two years later..............

FL isnt for everyone. Personally Ild rather rent for Jan and Feb down there and stay in my beloved NJ.

lol

• Like 2

Well you do have a much shorter winter down in NJ.  As I mentioned,  we are about to get our first snow and it will probably be here until April.  Really cuts the driving and even outside work season down. 4 Years ago we didn't have any snow until after Christmas.  It's not the first year,  but the last 3 have been snow in very late October or early November and that's it.  To make things worse,  spring has been starting later each of those years with snow in the forecast until the end of April and temperatures tracking 10 degrees below normal. for spring and late fall.

3 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Why any of us wants to live in the Northeast,  I'm not sure.

because half of the folks that retire down in FL move out two years later..............

FL isnt for everyone. Personally Ild rather rent for Jan and Feb down there and stay in my beloved NJ.

lol

This is not a bad plan.  My parents have basically done that for years,  go down to Southern Florida for 6/7 weeks in January Feburary to just get through the worst of it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Well you do have a much shorter winter down in NJ.  As I mentioned,  we are about to get our first snow and it will probably be here until April.  Really cuts the driving and even outside work season down. 4 Years ago we didn't have any snow until after Christmas.  It's not the first year,  but the last 3 have been snow in very late October or early November and that's it.  To make things worse,  spring has been starting later each of those years with snow in the forecast until the end of April and temperatures tracking 10 degrees below normal. for spring and late fall.

Fall in the North East is awesome.  Spring used to be almost the same thing.  Now we go directly from Winter into Summer.

• Like 3

Florida is both a positive and a negative. Overall I like it better..........I have a lot more good driving days down here. And lots of visitors to keep me company. I'm too old for snow. Did something on Sunday I never imagined I would do......I gave my snow shovel away to my northern neighbor. I will NEVER shovel snow again.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Florida is both a positive and a negative. Overall I like it better..........I have a lot more good driving days down here. And lots of visitors to keep me company. I'm too old for snow. Did something on Sunday I never imagined I would do......I gave my snow shovel away to my northern neighbor. I will NEVER shovel snow again.

Don't say never.  When you swing by with that over the top car,  it will probably be the one freak day in July we get 6 inches of snow.  I'll let you borrow mine just for old times sake to relive your youth. ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Problem is where we are the worst of it starts in November and ends in April. ;) 

Massachusetts is more mild, especially towards the coast.  November is gloomy but we should NEVER see snow and it should be in the 40s during the day.   When I was a kid,  we would see snow by Christmas 1 out of 5 years.   It seems like now there is a 100% chance of snow before Christmas.    March is much brighter than November (further removed from Dec 20th) and temps can be in the 50s during the day.   We can see snow in March,  potentially a lot,  but I don't remember lots lately.

I would expect to be able to drive cars through November and start towards the end of March.  You need a good rain to get the salt off the road.

• Like 2

Never dead store the cars here in CT, most winters allow a trip or two between Nov. & March.  Basically the same climate AJ has, and yes it has been shifting a bit it seems.  Before global warming, the 70s brought us a global cooling scare.  Maybe they were right after all? 🤔😁

3 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Never dead store the cars here in CT, most winters allow a trip or two between Nov. & March.  Basically the same climate AJ has, and yes it has been shifting a bit it seems.  Before global warming, the 70s brought us a global cooling scare.  Maybe they were right after all? 🤔😁

A stopped clock is right twice a Millennium Steve.

• Haha 1

They are talking record breaking cold and January type weather.  This is all just to see how tough I really am.  I'm going to finish the darn thing if I only get one board up a day.  If that's the case,  I should just about get there when spring hits. 

They can't tell me the sea ice is melting this time of year hundreds of miles north of here.  It's suppose to be freezing temperatures all the way down as far as Florida.  Maybe Ed should have taken the shovel with him.  I'm predicting a white Christmas in Orlando this year.   Must be CA is to blame for the cool down.  Better figure out a way to control the Wildfire emission.

I just sealed up Fort Knox for the winter so any pictures of the new toy will have to be inside shots, unless we get one crazy warm up.  Would have been nice to drive it a couple of miles to see how it behaved.  I'll probably tear the brakes apart this winter anyways.  I'm sure they have issues and I don't want to do a brake job in the summer when I have a bunch of other stuff to do. 

She will be all silicone when I get done so the next guy won't have any trouble.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Absolutely.  Beer would be cheaper for me as I am generally more of a fan of The Captain and a dash of coke, but pepsi works in a pinch..  Speaking of winter, will again be spending more time here I think.. View from my favorite perch at the "bar" 😊

20160312_181543.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You have done and are doing an amazing job on this toy. I don’t envy the work, fighting the weather or the $$ you have expended. When I was a young guy ( my early 40’s) I built a 40 x30 horse barn for my daughters critters. Made sure everything was perfect, level, straight, all the screws and nails set correctly. Conduit straight and water lines set to self drain so they wouldn’t freeze. The first horse comes in and takes a dump, the second horse comes in and takes a huge bite out of the stall wall. The third horse comes in, spooks let’s out a kick and breaks the feed bin off the wall. At least you don’t have to put up with that. Have fun. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

You are right about that.  It will atleast hopefully remain looking good for a few years.  I actually have to do some caulking and restain the whole thing next summer,  but then it should be good for quite a while. My friend suggested the final staining (the one that's always right which cost me more time and money).  It helps seal everything up and finish it off.  Especially since the stickers left lines on the siding I won't have too much choice if I want it to look real nice.  

So far we dodged the weather bullet with just a dusting on the grassy surfaces.  They are calling for another storm on Tuesday evening of 4 to 8 inches.  that will really suck.  I'm going to have to cram to try to get the siding on and trim boards so I can put the lift in before it gets too buried. Still have to put the chains on the tractor.  That's always a religious experience then get the plow working for the winter.  I do store everything heavily opiled with Fluid Film inside in the off season so hopefully no major issues as it helps seal up all the electricals as well. 

Well I think you are being a bit kind or blind, but appreciate the compliment. 

Unfortunately that storm is moving in Monday not Tuesday and it's suppose to bring 6 to 9 inches.  That just really sucks.  I doubt this one will miss us.  Bitter temperatures as well.  Today 34, Tonight 18, tomorrow 38, 18 overnight again, 44 on Sunday but coming up from 18 that will be very late in the day.  38 on Monday again,  then the snow comes in ,  the afternoon. 

Do they think I needed a little more of a challenge? 

On 11/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, alsancle said:

Massachusetts is more mild, especially towards the coast.  November is gloomy but we should NEVER see snow and it should be in the 40s during the day.   When I was a kid,  we would see snow by Christmas 1 out of 5 years.   It seems like now there is a 100% chance of snow before Christmas.    March is much brighter than November (further removed from Dec 20th) and temps can be in the 50s during the day.   We can see snow in March,  potentially a lot,  but I don't remember lots lately.

I would expect to be able to drive cars through November and start towards the end of March.  You need a good rain to get the salt off the road.

AJ, if you do the math you are out half the year.................plus rain. Down here, I usually can drive a car 97 percent of the days........some are too hot. And four months a year rain in the afternoon is always possible. Overall, it’s a very rare day where I can’t road test a car I am working on if needed. Although way down south, there are plenty of good scenic roads to drive......many more than most people expect. 

Don't remind me how good a warmer climate would be.  With my business I could live any place there is postal service.  Starting to wish I hadn't built the big shop and just moved alot further south. I could handle 2 months of sort of winter.  This 6 months is getting old.  No break the last 3 years. 

Suppose to be 4 to 6 inches of snow Monday into Tuesday then mid 20's for highs for a few days.  You would think someone is trying to keep me from finishing.   I could just wait,  but I have found they often downgrade the nice further out forecasts so the good weather never arrives.  I did work on it yesterday so we are getting closer, just not fast enough. Putting nailers in on a ladder is just slow work.

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Don't remind me how good a warmer climate would be.  With my business I could live any place there is postal service.  Starting to wish I hadn't built the big shop and just moved alot further south. I could handle 2 months of sort of winter.  This 6 months is getting old.  No break the last 3 years. 

Suppose to be 4 to 6 inches of snow Monday into Tuesday then mid 20's for highs for a few days.  You would think someone is trying to keep me from finishing.   I could just wait,  but I have found they often downgrade the nice further out forecasts so the good weather never arrives.  I did work on it yesterday so we are getting closer, just not fast enough. Putting nailers in on a ladder is just slow work.

Dad’s shop in Tx is for sale and I will be selling his home. You can get a lot for your money in Hill Country Texas and it’s warm. Lol 

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Commercial-For-Sale/TX/Harper/897-Ranch-Rd-783/82161388.html

• Like 2

5 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Dad’s shop in Tx is for sale and I will be selling his home. You can get a lot for your money in Hill Country Texas and it’s warm. Lol 

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Commercial-For-Sale/TX/Harper/897-Ranch-Rd-783/82161388.html

You can get alot for your money alot of places that are warmer.   I Still question why I din't move further south. Of course,  at that point winters were almost tollerable at 4 months for the most part.  This 6 month crap is getting old.  Our place was appraised to get our mortgage squared away at 500G.  I think that might even be a tad conservative,  but 500G will buy you alot in the Carolinas or Georgia or as you mentioned Texas.  My wife likes to be right near everything though for convenience so you get a little less.  The more rural you go usually you can buy a huge swath of land. Maybe when the kids are gone we'll look a little harder.   We still have family in the area,  though we don't do much with them like we thought we would.  One of the main reasons we stayed in the area when we bought the new house.  Of course taxes suck as well.  Hopefully the new shop will atleast help with selling if we decide to.   One of the reason I built it to look nice so everything up here matches or atleast blends well. 

I did get some work done today.  About 20 pieces of siding up and some nailers.  that makes the wall about a 1/3 done.  

I'm not sure how much I'll get done tomorrow.  If I didn't need to install the nailers I could get all the siding on for sure. 

I'll post a photo tomorrow when I get some more done. 

Randy, Every Sunday morning we go out to breakfast early with a bunch of the car "boys" down here. This morning your new shop was the talk of the drive......(60 mile round trip)..........We decided we had the advantage this week..........79 degrees and sunny while driving the Individual Custom Dietrich Sport Sedan along the ocean. Keep warm this week.........best, Ed

PS - The photo was taken along billionaires row in Palm Beach.........I'm sure you could find a small place with a two car garage for under 10! 👍

IMG_1239.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Randy. Hope you made progress today.  Attended the CSRA meet here in CT, hadn't been in a while.  Very few decent parts of any kind but definately where 300 or so vendors bring old snowblowers, CDs, mismatched tires and t shirts to die.  3 hours we won't be getting back.  Feel bad for dude who parked next to us w jersey plates!  🤔😁

• Haha 1