Driveline Noise?

Rod Frazier

Need a little advice from the expert diagnosticians:  My '40 Century has begun to exhibit a "thrumming noise" whose rhythm is directly related to road speed and has nothing to do with engine rpm.  I suspected a bad tire or wheel bearing, but they checked out good, and my local mechanic thinks it is probably the u-joint.  With the rear wheels off the ground and the car in gear to turn the driveshaft, he said there was noise from that area.  Since it's a hard teardown, does anyone have an idea of how to confirm the diagnosis before beginning?

Yes, the noise he heard was from the torque ball area.  Tomorrow I think I'll get her up on stands, idling in high, and see what I hear.  If I can get help, I'll have someone else rev it to about 20mph and simultaneously cut the ignition and throw in the clutch, just to take engine noises out of the equation.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news and bad.  Good that we found the noise was from the front right outside bearing, that had at least 3 bad balls.  There was no noise spinning the wheel by hand and there was no discernible play, but the bearing was shot.  The bad news is that during the process of diagnosis I checked the fluid level in the differential and found it to be overfull a complete quart.  Now I think I know where my transmission oil has been disappearing to.  I didn't think the small leaks I have should have accounted for the constant need to top up.  So it looks like a big job in the near future:  pulling the driveline to get at the torque ball and universal joint, since the book says the likely cause is a scored universal joint or bushing, a gasket plugging the return hole, too much clearance between the u-joint and bushing, loose adjustment of ball joint or run-out of front end of the propeller shaft.  I've seen that the u-joint is available, but can anyone recommend sources for gaskets, bushings, seals, etc.  I've never had a ball joint assembly apart so don't really know what I'll be dealing with here.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

My advice is "Don't"  If the differential is quite, I would let it be for awhile. See if it over fills again. My '50 shop manual actually instructs to turn the back cover one bolt, thereby raising the fill hole somewhat.    What some have done on later years with auto trans is to drill a small [ 1/4 in ? ] hole in the bottom of the torque tube just in front of the flange at the back. Install a plug. Remove plug occasionally to check/drain any thing that gets that far back.

My advice and I am sticking to it.

Ben

• Like 1

Sounds like pretty good advice.....especially the new drain hole....I really don't want to overfill the diff.  After I drained the extra quart out I drove the car about 30 miles, let it cool, and checked again.  Another 9 oz.

Tomorrow I will fill the tranny, make sure the diff's still full, and drive another 30 miles and check again.  Losing a quart of tranny oil every hundred miles I don't think I can live with.  It''s a bitch to refill anyway, without a lift.

The mystery continues.  Today I filled the tranny (8 oz.), verified the diff was filled correctly, and took a 50 mile drive.  Let everything cool off a couple of hours and checked the diff, which was 3 oz. overfull.  Quite a difference from 9 oz. after 30 miles!  Guess I'll drive another 50 and check it again, just for the heck of it.  Since the tranny only holds 40 oz. I don't want to run it down too far.