victorialynn2

Website skimming eBay ads/pics

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

A few months ago I found quite a few of the photos that turned up on a typical google image search were from pinterest. When you clicked on them the site would not let me enlarge them beyond thumbnail unless I signed up as a member.  I finally gave in and signed up, so far no unpleasant side effects. Every now and then I get a notification of new postings with the same tag I have previously viewed. Generally a useful feature, you get content you are probably interested in without looking at thousands of unrelated new photo posts.

 

Greg in Canada

You can save photos to “boards” also. Great for say a recipe that you want to save. Sadly lots of advertisers and spammers are using it, so when the links are expired, the photos are not taken down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Have you posted any update on how the garage is coming along? 

I actually haven't gotten a lot done on the new shop since winter set in (and still persisting here in the East) Though I did get my order of windows in,  stacked in the garage for now.  Though I have been finishing off the old garage on the property which is 28 by 50. 

I'm going to start a step by step thread shortly,  with costs of all aspects as I completed them including materials and sizes,  so someone in the future looking to build something similar could get a good handle on what it will take to build something similar and how much space it actually gives you once done.  Something like I was looking for before I started and couldn't find. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I actually haven't gotten a lot done on the new shop since winter set in (and still persisting here in the East) Though I did get my order of windows in,  stacked in the garage for now.  Though I have been finishing off the old garage on the property which is 28 by 50. 

I'm going to start a step by step thread shortly,  with costs of all aspects as I completed them including materials and sizes,  so someone in the future looking to build something similar could get a good handle on what it will take to build something similar and how much space it actually gives you once done.  Something like I was looking for before I started and couldn't find. 

That would be very helpful for others. I remember winters in NH, and still have family there. The NE has had a cold spring!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You aren't kidding.  70 one day in February and the arctic Tundra since.  It's been mud season for 2 months now except when it's frozen, though the snow cover kept the ground from really refreezing.  3 Back to back North Easters didn't help either.  Atleast the other garage is heated.  

The winds did a number on my tarp garage door last night,  I resecured it several times yesterday and again at 1AM.   Fortunately the worst of them have subsided.  65 MPH gusts and sustained of 40,  doesn't do well with plastic over windows and doors.  Time to get the glass in and some better sort of Temp Garage door until I can build something nice.  Watching the kids now so I can't be out there working. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Nick, you have your laptop synced with her phone. There are settings for Facebook and other apps, as well as phones and laptops that you can set. This isn’t the place to go into it and I’m retired from computer support anyway. ;)

I worked with Burroughs  computers back in the days..

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Wiki - Control Data Corporation (CDC) was a mainframe and supercomputer firm. CDC was one of the nine major United States computer companies through most of the 1960s; the others were IBM, Burroughs Corporation, DEC, NCR, General Electric, Honeywell, RCA, and UNIVAC. CDC was well-known and highly regarded ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

From Wiki - Control Data Corporation (CDC) was a mainframe and supercomputer firm. CDC was one of the nine major United States computer companies through most of the 1960s; the others were IBM, Burroughs Corporation, DEC, NCR, General Electric, Honeywell, RCA, and UNIVAC. CDC was well-known and highly regarded ...

I am lost as to where you and Nick are going with this conversation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I am lost as to where you and Nick are going with this conversation?

I am getting old..

 

Jake..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick I sold Burroughs L-series then main frames in the early 70’s. I have owned IBB 360’s and 370’s Univac 9000 and 1100’s. I could code in assembler language and I’m still lost where you guys are going. 

But it is interesting to try to figure it out. 

Have fun

Dave S 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I am lost as to where you and Nick are going with this conversation?

 

VL, I think some here took the off ramp in this thread and are currently on a back road. ;) :D

 

Somewhat related to your original post... I have had a web site on line since the mid 1990s based on one of my vehicles with 1000s of pages and many more photos.

One day I received an email from another enthusiast for the vehicle on my web site telling me someone had stolen my web site. I came to find out that an individual in another country had basically copied large parts of my web site and was passing it off as his own. I did not have the $$$$ to hire a lawyer. Even if I had a lawyer back then there were virtually no laws at all governing the internet so it would have done no good. Anyway, between myself and the company where my web site was hosted from we got the fake site shutdown. I am guessing that the web site provider for the fake site did not want to deal with situation. Glad your situation was resolved in your favor. Thanks for letting everyone here know what happened.

 

Charlie

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, charlier said:

 

VL, I think some here took the off ramp in this thread and are currently on a back road. ;) :D

 

Somewhat related to your original post... I have had a web site on line since the mid 1990s based on one of my vehicles with 1000s of pages and many more photos.

One day I received an email from another enthusiast for the vehicle on my web site telling me someone had stolen my web site. I came to find out that an individual in another country had basically copied large parts of my web site and was passing it off as his own. I did not have the $$$$ to hire a lawyer. Even if I had a lawyer back then there were virtually no laws at all governing the internet so it would have done no good. Anyway, between myself and the company where my web site was hosted from we got the fake site shutdown. I am guessing that the web site provider for the fake site did not want to deal with situation. Glad your situation was resolved in your favor. Thanks for letting everyone here know what happened.

 

Charlie

No worries, I just wasn’t sure if I was missing something. Y’all know I don’t mind side conversations. 

 

Your example is exactly what my attorney does. I met him as he was a guest speaking in my blogging support group that I started for Realtors. They were having issues with other Realtors stealing photos and content. He put a stop to it for our Realtors.  

 

Learned a a lot about copyrights and intellectual property rights. I ran this car thing by him and he was nice enough to follow up with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cars are on line with SmugMug???

 

https://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog

 

You can pay to have a 8 X 12 picture.. Not sure on this one..

 

I bought a picture of my car from a local newspaper on a coffee mug. I am  sure I did not give them permission to use it to make money...

 

 

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

No worries, I just wasn’t sure if I was missing something. Y’all know I don’t mind side conversations. 

 

Your example is exactly what my attorney does. I met him as he was a guest speaking in my blogging support group that I started for Realtors. They were having issues with other Realtors stealing photos and content. He put a stop to it for our Realtors.  

 

Learned a a lot about copyrights and intellectual property rights. I ran this car thing by him and he was nice enough to follow up with it. 

 

I would be curious to know how long he has been practicing this type of law specifically related to the internet?  Maybe there were lawyers back then that could have helped me. Then  again I have to wonder since both the person who "copied" my web site and their internet hosting company were both located in a foreign country which made dealing with both a challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, charlier said:

 

I would be curious to know how long he has been practicing this type of law specifically related to the internet?  Maybe there were lawyers back then that could have helped me. Then  again I have to wonder since both the person who "copied" my web site and their internet hosting company were both located in a foreign country which made dealing with both a challenge. 

I met him around 2008 or 2009. I think you are correct that it was harder back then to even track people in a foreign company. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 12:00 AM, victorialynn2 said:

He got $7500, of which I received $2500. (I didn’t expect anything).

 

Not to be too cynical, but I am thinking about the accompanying letter: "Please accept our check for $10,000. We have included legal fees for you to forward. Cash the full amount and send $7500 to the Nigerian Lawyers Cooperative. Your share of $2500 has been fully authorized for your use."

 

I think that is the way it goes.

 

Hey! Did you get to play that Texas Hollinger tribute for your Dad?

Bernie

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2018 at 1:22 PM, 60FlatTop said:

 

Not to be too cynical, but I am thinking about the accompanying letter: "Please accept our check for $10,000. We have included legal fees for you to forward. Cash the full amount and send $7500 to the Nigerian Lawyers Cooperative. Your share of $2500 has been fully authorized for your use."

 

I think that is the way it goes.

 

Hey! Did you get to play that Texas Hollinger tribute for your Dad?

Bernie

Ha! Well it’s $2500 I never thought I’d receive and it’s legit. ?

 

My father has had a hearing issue since he was in his 20’s. Sadly, he can not hear well enough to listen to music anymore. It’s rough because it was a big part of his life. Thanks for thinking of him though, Bernie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sampson 35 said:

Great work, need get rid of more these scammers, maybe a lead pill.

 

 

Maybe some polonium?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now