BCA national meet

sligermachine

If you drive your 1925 Buick 2300 miles to get on the show filed do you get the 100 point advantage ??  Or marked down for the rock chips?

all my cars I drive but the first show would be fun to look its finest possible. But I would rather drive  How many are going to drive the slow road this year to Colorado?--kyle  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sligermachine said:

If you drive your 1925 Buick 2300 miles to get on the show filed do you get the 100 point advantage ??  Or marked down for the rock chips?

all my cars I drive but the first show would be fun to look its finest possible. But I would rather drive  How many are going to drive the slow road this year to Colorado?--kyle  

Bring it on, Kyle.

Ben

• Like 1

What you get is the respect of other pre-war Buick owners..........I have a decent '39 and I would not drive it 200 miles without a relief driver.

BCA judging says that any damage to a car coming to a meet is overlooked (not their exact words)

Lots of people within the BCA like to talk about driving your Buick but in reality,  we really like to see them at a National Meet and don't care how they got there.

• Like 1

Kyle:

I would be thrilled to see your car at the Denver national! I have driven my 1937 over 2,000 miles to Brookfield Wisconsin but that was a round trip. Also my car is a 1970s fix up and will never be judged. I understand your wish to make the best appearance and if I had the confidence in the vehicle I would certainly drive it. The farthest I drove my poor, worn out 1925 Standard was a 100 mile round trip to our (local) chapter car show. I did have my son follow me to make sure I made it. I had fully intended on driving it on a week long tour with the VCCA tour in Virginia 2 years ago. But it had no more to give. Once I get the rebuilt engine back I may get some confidence back. With what you are doing to your 1925-44 and how thorough you have been I would still have some back up.

Scout Moto:

"Be Prepared"

• Like 1

Kyle,

The BCA has never recognized the difference between driving a prewar car or a late model post war car to BCA meets.  The same driven awards were handed out to members who drove their 80's era cars only 20 miles while some drove their 20's era cars hundreds of miles.  Several years ago, I suggested that a formula should be used to recognize the combination of age and mileage driven to national meets.  But this idea along with chronological parking  was dismissed by the BCA board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I drive my 90 year old truck to work often .I like the slow way home  its 25 mil round trip 

Just thought if we have a few old cars going that way at one time we could have a nice aluminium car trailer to follow us just in case?? and a set of tools  ,spare starter ,clutch, h2o pump, would make the long way to the meet fun !!---kyle

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sligermachine said:

I drive my 90 year old truck to work often .I like the slow way home  its 25 mil round trip 

Just thought if we have a few old cars going that way at one time we could have a nice aluminium car trailer to follow us just in case?? and a set of tools  ,spare starter ,clutch, h2o pump, would make the long way to the meet fun !!---kyle

Yes, that's close to what I did for the Seattle group that drove to the BCA national meet in Rochester MN.  The article in the PWD newsletter is copied below:

On Friday July 7th,2006 Mark & Rinda Shaw with Jack Gerstkemper riding shotgun, departed Vancouver Wa towing an empty car trailer to join the Buick caravan from Seattle to Rochester MN. We met the twelve-car caravan of Seattle Buicks in Post Falls Idaho & followed (somewhat) the Yellowstone trail route over the next four days with stops at museums, car collections, and special points of interest along the way.  We ended up hauling a 1941 Buick coupe that had trouble about 200 miles East of Billings for some of the trip to Rochester.  (But he made it back to Seattle without any more trouble.) 

We arrived in Rochester on Tuesday July 11th, unloaded, & checked into our hotel for some much needed rest.  Wednesday morning at 6:20 AM, Jack & I drove 3 1/2 hours South to Des Moines Iowa to pick up a 1925 Buick truck purchased on Ebay by Jeff Deringer (another car guy near Vancouver WA.)  Jeff and I worked out an arrangement for me to pick up his Buick truck and drive it in the BCA Pre-War Division After-Tour, and haul it back home for him.  The challenge was to get Jeff's Buick in shape for the After-Tour tour by Sunday.

Jack and I arrived to pick up the truck by 10:00 AM and had it loaded along with the new tires tubes and flaps that Jeff Deringer drop-shipped to the seller's address.  The seller, Jeff Lewis, arrived & added a few loose items & gave us an original the bill of sale before we trailered the Buick back to Rochester.  We stopped at the Goodyear Tire Store on the way into town to dispose of the bad gasoline and change the oil while it was still on the trailer.  We made one more stop to buy a new battery, and delivered the Buick to the front of the convention center where most of the prewar Buicks were on display. (Since it didn’t run, we had to push it off the trailer and into place on the lawn.)

Thursday morning I met Rob Swearingen with his beautiful 1924 Buick model 45 touring car parked right next to the Buick truck.  He introduced himself as the guy who sent me an email a few weeks before indicating the he was mechanically challenged and needed to know what tools to bring on the After-Tour.  I had answered his email with a list of items I carry in my "doctor's bag".  (Rob became very familiar with those tools over the next few days and was a very big help in getting Jeff's truck ready for the tour.)  He also learned about “no-guts-no-glory” mechanics along the way.

On Thursday, we did a lot of cleaning, lubricating and trouble-shooting.  After we cleaned up the vacuum tank & carburetor, Brian Heil (the guy who led the Pre-War Buick Pre-Tour from Flint MI in his 1923 touring car) found the wrong air control spring in the carburetor.  

Friday morning, I was able to locate and buy a spare spring from Bill McLaughlin.   Bill joined the Pre-Tour with Brian by driving his original 29 Buick roadster from his home in Canada (and he keeps a virtual warehouse of parts in his roadster for on-the-road repairs).  We installed the correct spring, but the truck still would not keep running or run smoothly. 

We removed the vacuum tank again and found more “coffee grounds” restricting the fuel flow.  But the real problem was lack of vacuum at the carburetor intake.  After a bit more trouble-shooting, I removed the heat riser and found two large rusted-out holes in the internal heat-riser tube.  This was allowing exhaust to pass into the intake above the carburetor (a common Buick problem).  So, Rob & I took it to a Midas muffler shop to replace the heat-riser tube.  We were just lucky that it took a standard 1 ¾” section of exhaust pipe that could be pressed into the heat-riser casting.  One hour and $25 later, we were in business.  After lunch, Rob & I took it for a test drive & to get gas in town.  Cheers rose from the crowd in front of the convention center as we drove past the other cars on display!

Friday was one of the hottest days of the meet, so I decided to do tire changing demonstrations inside the air-conditioned convention center.  Rob & I dismounted each tire & rim one at a time and rolled each one inside to Terry Wiegand’s swap meet space.  We used the original rim tool and Terry’s special tire iron to remove and replace the tires tubes & flaps.  We soon had a crowd of spectators watching each tire change.  My hands were black and my clothes were a mess, but we got the job done in time to get ready for the short drive to the Pre-War Buicks Dinner that night. 

We drove the truck 13 miles each way for dinner at the lake with over forty PWD members who arrived in more than a dozen prewar Buicks.  The ride back at dusk was even more fun with all the old headlights glowing as we cruised back to town in the open truck in the cool of the evening.  It felt great; and we all blew our horns when people on the streets gave us a thumbs-up.

Saturday morning, after Rob & I re-adjusted the valves and brakes, we took the truck for another test drive into town.  Brian also wanted a ride, so he put a lawn chair in the back of the truck and sat facing backwards.  He was smoking a cigar, and holding an umbrella as he waived to everyone we passed.  It was quite a site.  I hope somebody got a picture of it.  More cheers and applause came from the crowd in front of the convention center as we departed and returned.

Sunday morning Jack Gerstkemper was my navigator in the Buick truck as we departed Rochester for the first annual BCA Pre-War Division After-Tour………….

……….But that’s another story.

Mark

P.S.

Jeff sold me the 24 PU about two years later.  Here's what it looks like now sporting a new top and a wood strip canoe.  I also drove it to the BCA meet in Seattle.  And Rob drove it on the PWD AfterTour.

24 PU Canoe 3.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Kyle, what Mark just described is what having fun with friends and old Buicks is all about.  He had a crowd of guys around him the whole time he was changing out those tires.  I told Rinda that she should take him down to the car wash to clean him up after he was finished.  I laughed so hard that I hurt.  If I could have gotten a video of that whole thing, it would have gone viral in ten minutes.  I think we have all been up against old tires that just don't want to give up and cooperate - Mark had four of them that day.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

Now days, when you print that story Mark, people will say, 'Fake News'.  But I was there.  I think I even helped.  As my Dad used to say, Son at least stand right about there and give me a little shade if all you are going to do is just stand there.  It was (damn) hot.  I've never been to a National Meet were it wasn't 90 something except last year in Wisconsin.

We drove over to the Rochester meet from home south of Flint where Bill McLaughlin joined my daughter #3 and me for the trip.  Great times.  She would have been 14 then.  I never looked at the map or directions, I made her navigate the entire trip, there and back and Bill followed.  We never missed a turn or went the same way twice. 

The Pre War Gang worked on the '24 truck each day and daughter #3 spent each day at the country club with the wife of our Best Man who is a doctor at the Mayo Clinic and they live in Rochester.  We stayed at their beautiful home and his wife treated my daughter like royalty.  She still says that was the best old car trip ever.  Never had an issue with the '23 Buick either.  Everyone should travel with Bill McLaughlin, pure class.  Cocktails promptly at 5 before dinner and stopping well before that to shower and change too. It's not the destination as much as it is the journey and who you share it with.

Another fun part was Mark needing a spare rim for the '24 truck.  He had five tires, tubes and flaps drop shipped to the meet, but the truck did not come with a spare rim.  While roaming the parts vendors I see an NOS, like new, 24" Jackson rim just like my '23 uses.  I bought it right on the spot.  How was I to know Mark didn't have a spare rim and that a '24 uses the same rim as my '23.  I brought it back and showed everyone my great purchase.  They all looked at each other like I had bought a shrunken head.  There sat my nice new rim and there sat Mark looking at it like a kid outside an ice cream shop with only a nickel, except Mark didn't ever show me the nickel.  Now, I believe in good karma and I have never had tire trouble since lending out that rim and Mark, and he sent me a replacement rim sometime later and he sold me a dual spare hanger too, to hang it on.  And about 500 lbs of other good parts too along the way.

Here is a pic of us west bound to that meet in 2006 in Fox Lake, Wisconsin.  You know it's hot out if I'm running with the top up and the sun is out and it was blistering hot.

post-87864-0-23458600-1437494988.jpg

• Like 3

And not everything that happens at a National Meet makes it in the Bugle (or should it).  After all, Pete has high standards

Here are Larry Schramm and Mark Shaw adjusting something (allegedly) on Larry's truck at the 2017 Brookfield Meet.

20170708_174423_jpg_d2bd3f17fa6cb243fee0ce229d4abb2d.jpg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, 50jetback said:

Kyle - follow this link and it will take you to our Australian Club magazine covering the Australian National meet held in Western Australia back in 2014. There is an article starting on page 15 detailing travel from Brisbane Queensland to Perth Western Australia in a 1930 Buick tourer.

http://www.iseehosting.com.au/members/pdf/buicknewsNov14.pdf

Good read, Stuart.    Thanks for the Link. 

Ben

Kyle:

Good that you have the oil pressure. But try not to keep spinning the starter as long as you have. These starters are engineered to give a high torque for a brief period of time. It warns you in the Reference book not to run the starter for too long. You can quickly burn out your windings by getting it overheated.

• Like 2

I would say 30 sec. it took to have oil pumping good pressure. I figured since this engine was rebuilt by a guy that hand made a helicopter he flew for 3 year in his garage at home it is as good as it gets --kyle . but I know the starter is old . I had the spark plugs out of the engine too.

11 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

You can quickly burn out your windings by getting it overheated.

• Like 1