trunk fabric

Seafoam65

Does somebody out there have a snippet of the original  tan trunk fabric  from their 65 Riviera you can send me. I am going to

go to a giant fabric supplier and try to find the closest match to it. Just need a small snippet to look at. Maybe somebody has their old one lying around

or has a parts car they can snip a piece off of?

I gave  away my trunk lining to Marc Thompson few month ago... It was the original lining I bought from SMS Autofabrics: https://smsautofabrics.com/ He was pretty happy with it.

Ask SMS Autofabrics for some patterns... they will send them to you for free.
Good luck!

Eric

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You might check with Jenkins in NC. 2 years ago he said he was going to get with his supplier to have more made as I bought the last of what he had. To me it was a very close if not exact match to original but will say I was looking at 50 year old lining in poor condition so certainly a comparison subject to error. 

Other than that SMS has closest I’ve seen. Pic compares what I got from Jenkins to SMS

4932DFE0-2622-41F8-93C1-6982872A0A12.jpeg

Edited by JZRIV
Spelling (see edit history)

Winston, this is mine after we cut and trimmed it with the fabric Eric sent me, and new cardboard from Clark's. Pretty happy with it; it's the closest to the orignal houndstooth I could find, and and Clark's tire cover is a perfect match. Bought the cover just to match the fabric; my original cover is still pretty good.

received_1644842008893480.jpeg

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

SMS looks closer judging by the samples Jason posted. But if my recall is accurate, the original stuff had a strong shaded maroon thread that is part of the weave.

Tom

Yep, that maroon thread is what's missing in any of the reproductions out there.

On 4/1/2018 at 2:32 PM, RivNut said:

Yep, that maroon thread is what's missing in any of the reproductions out there.

The maroon thread should be a point on the judges hundred point Checklist ?

Did it appear on other models? Interesting

23 minutes ago, PWB said:

The maroon thread should be a point on the judges hundred point Checklist ?

Did it appear on other models? Interesting

Unless your car is in something like a preservation class, EVERYONE would be penalized.

Things like this are what make peer judging, like takes place at an ROA meet, make everyone walk away happy with what they've done to their car.

Ed

On 2.4.2018 at 3:06 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Anybody got a piece of the original stuff you can send me. That way I'll know what I'm looking for.

Sure Winston, I've cut a pattern of my old original trunk lining (front and rear)... I'ts very dirty, I'm sorry that I couldn't cut out a cleaner part... See picture.
I you want it, please give me your full address.

regards,
Schmiddy

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

Great, just snip off one of the areas that is pretty clean(I see some clean spots in the pics) and mail it to:

McCollum's Auto Center

901 E.Parker Rd.

Plano, Tx. 75074

Thanks a lot, now I will be able to make my own comparison about how correct the material is.

26 minutes ago, Schmiddy said:

Sure Winston, I've cut a pattern of my old original trunk lining (front and rear)... I'ts very dirty, I'm sorry that I couldn't cut out a cleaner part... See picture.
I you want it, please give me your full address.

regards,
Schmiddy

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

Just a stupid question:

I assume that the European export was assembled in Europe as I think my 63 that I had in Sweden in the 70’s was. Was all parts shipped from the USA or could some such as the trunk lining been have sourced locally?

7 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Just a stupid question:

I assume that the European export was assembled in Europe as I think my 63 that I had in Sweden in the 70’s was. Was all parts shipped from the USA or could some such as the trunk lining been have sourced locally?

Correct. My 65 was assembled in Switzerland (GM Biel-Bienne). As I know, all the parts where shipped from the US...  For me hard to say if some of them where produced in Europe (specially the trunk lining). I don't even know if there was a list with parts produced in Europe... Would be interesting to know! My first quick research about that did not yield anything useful so far... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Great, just snip off one of the areas that is pretty clean(I see some clean spots in the pics) and mail it to:

McCollum's Auto Center

901 E.Parker Rd.

Plano, Tx. 75074

Thanks a lot, now I will be able to make my own comparison about how correct the material is.

You're welcome! :D
I will check my trunk again and see if I can snip out a better cleaner area. (Be aware, from Switzerland it will take several days until you will get it... ;))
Regards,
Schmiddy