The mighty “ Strut “ Mod

Old Man Jimbo

If it’s okay with you gents I would like to tell my strut project here so that I can gain from our knowledge and perhaps if this works as planned perhaps someone may also gain from this build.

The coil overs that were selected after leinghty research and endless emails from maXpeedRods are pictured below. I found these to be the most Reatta friendly struts to build on.

The base ( strut to knuckle ) screws off so that I can use the donar ears from my existing struts on the car plus the brake line, Abs brackets,They have a 9” adjustable travel. Of course I will not be taking advantage of the 9”’s. OEM struts measure 19.2” long and my beginning number will be 17” witch will leave me 3.25” of strut into the bottom of the bracket/base.

I am not expecting this to lower the front 2” because of the difference in spring comparison of the two but spring change out will be relatively easy to achieve the ride quality that Is wanted.

Not 1000% sure what will be modified on the top mount although a type of bearing ( greasable bearing )will be a must to avoid any knocking at the tower.

The diameter of the OEM struts are approximately 7.5”. The diameter of the coil overs is 3.75 and that simply will cause my tires to feel like they moved out of their 1 bedroom apartment and into a duplex! ( had throw some comedy in there ?

The journey begins........

1641A655-3039-491A-AA39-6DBA1B94571A.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks like you are on the right track. Keep us posted as you go along. We all like to see photos that explain how you did it. You might be able to use the stock strut mounts at the top although they might need an adapter or a little modification. Below are some some photos that might help you do some planning before you take your struts apart.

SAM_1781.JPGSAM_1782.JPGSAM_1783.JPG

Click photos to enlarge.

Daniel , front first then I will tackle the rear . I have some absurd thought about that and keeping those thoughts when I'm actually there. I'll leak out this ... it will include the sway bar swap that I already have .

As we both know , the rear will be more complex than the front.

It's been a while since I posted any progress on my strut build . Been putting the front suspension back in the Cherokee and that is why no update. This photo was the original reason that I wanted to do this and for those who are not familiar with the term " slamming " that's what it's called... Haha ( love me some slamming ! ).

I like the color although I'm thinking this mod will be cooler in black.

Custom REATTA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So looking forward to this .  Although my quest with my Reatta , which is my year round daily driver is to stay as stock as possible , my one and only complaint is the high stance of this car. I would love to "slam" mine identical to the picture. As a retired Master mechanic I have the skill set and tools , I will love to gain from your experience.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...