1913 model 31

kenny biehle

Kenny:

Welcome to the forum I am sure Mark Shaw should give you a hand with some information. he has a model 31 as do a few others here.

My only reference is on the several I attempted to purchase. Below are photos of the water pump/ mag side of engine on those cars.

5abf042369e30_52727762-700-01.jpg.ebb0055c3b54f455ba7b8e38d898c156.jpgIMG_4277.thumb.JPG.8b1122b30a5e78af3a1f9877d71d4e60.JPG5abf045793f11_52727759-700-01.jpg.fa8521ba36c5d9fffe41d34703cd9385.jpg

• Like 2

Slide the gear and shaft out from the front.  Timing, mean gear placement wth the cam gear, does not matter.  Press out the worn shaft and press in the new shaft in the old gear and re-install.  There is an interesting, long discussion about this job presently on an other site called BrassBuicks.org.  The Model 31 is a good car, that is mine on the home page on BrassBuicks named "Glowing Gaseous Globes"  There is a sort of joke about this model 31, it goes something like Buick had a water pump and built the car around it!  Thanks Larry, the picture help others to see the shaft and issues involved to remove it.  Good luck, Gary

Edited by cxgvd
Link should be org and not com (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree with Gary except that I believe correct replacement of the cam gear, does matter.  The timing marks should be noted and aligned as original.

It is no small task to replace the water pump shaft on the Model 31 engine.  Harold Sharon had a very easy way to cut the shaft so it can be removed by pulling the timing gear with it.  First make a witness mark on the shaft between the pump and the timing assembly so a new stainless shaft can be made exactly like the original.  Start the engine, and use a hack saw to cut the shaft.  When the shaft is cut through, the engine will automatically stop to allow removal of the stub shaft with the timing gear.  This also frees the pump for easy removal and disassembly.  Replicate the shaft using the witness marks to locate the keyway for the timing gear and coupler and tapered holes to pin the impeller.  Reinstallation will be much easier than removal.  

• Like 1

I certainly do not want to get into a p=ssing match with Mark, a fellow I have met.  The subject is well discussed and argued on the site BrassBuicks.org.  Harold Sharon ( bless his soul) helped me many times in the past though he liked to updated his car to make it perform better.  I differed with Mr Sharon on this, my car is original, as built, without re engineering.  I agree changing the shaft as Mark and others propose has advantages but in my opinion the price is too high because it looks altered.  I am on my third shaft in twenty years, not a big deal to me steel is easy to obtain.  If you want to mark the gears so they can be assembled the same go ahead, on my car the connection to the mag (timing) is infinitely adjustable so it doesn't matter.  So as I see it, improve the car or love the deficiencies is a question?  IMHO, Gary